Weekend in baltimre

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend in baltimre

Actually just Saturday night. DW 60 th birthday. We live just outside DC. We stayed at The Admiral Fell inn, Fells Point, in Baltimore, with Jake, our 84 year old dog. Everybody said he looked really old. I assume they were talking about Jake. Room was $143/ night, no extra pet fee. Park at pubic garage several blocks away on Caroline Street. Hotel is part of Historic Hotels of America, which includes some very nice places.

We arrived in time for some wonderful fish and chips at Riptide by the Bay, recommended by desk guy at hotel. Then we took water taxi to Inner Harbor and free circulator bus to Mt Vernon and The Peabody Conservatory where a nice guard let us go look at the library which has five or six tiers of balconies with brass and iron railings surrounding the central reading room. I'll link a photo if I can.

Then to Walters Art Gallery with Delacroix and Middle Ages stuff and sculptures and ceramics etc. then back to inner harbor on bus ( there are many interesting Baltimore people on Baltimore buses) and to fells point on the water taxi. Walk jake and watch the sun go down.

Walk to Peter's Inn restaurant on S Anne which is very very good. Fried oysters. Then listened to blues at Berthas Mussels and danced a little.

Next morning breakfast at a diner across the street and a visit to the Baltimore Museum of Art which really is wonderful. Matisse with all his colors, angles, and lines around lounging women with flowing dresses and forms. And a great contemporary gallery with all sorts of new ways to see the world.

Then home.

Link to photos which probably wont work because young people grow up knowing this stuff from playing video games, secrety learning critically important skills and leaving us old people in the dust:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/93965212@N06/

Link to BMA contemporary art:
http://gomobileartbma.org/#all-connections

Link to restaurant:
http://www.petersinn.com/
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds wonderful.
Especially the fried oysters.
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Starrs. I hope you're over the flu and poison ivy.
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 04:58 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Getting over both. Prednisone rocks!
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a nice trip, santa. We are going to Baltimore for the weekend in a couple of weeks. My daughter lives in Upper Fells Point so we will visit with her and her husband. The highlight of our trip, I think, will be a cooking class at Pierpoint Restaurant in Fells Point. We may check out the BMA too. Baltimore is a great little city.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Suki, sounds like a nice trip coming up. Cooking class should be fun. Do DD and SIL like Peter's Inn? Have they tried duckpins bowling at Patterson Bowling Center?
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 03:40 AM

Sounds like a great little getaway! I am waiting for hard crab season to get my fix!
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes to both questions, santa. They live about 1-1/2 blocks from the Patterson Bowling Center. They love their neighborhood. They take their dog to Patterson Park every day, and my SIL can walk to work. Their current fun is playing in a Skee Ball league - championship game this Wednesday! And, of course, they love all the restaurants in Fells Point. We've gone to Peters Inn for lunch and a beer. There is also a good restaurant at the top of the hill on S. Collington St. called Salt. We had a very good meal there the last time we were in Baltimore.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:47 PM

Nice to hear a nice review about our funky city - Baltimore. It sounds like you might have taken the "Charm City Circulator" which is a free bus that has several routes through the city. Because it is free, many less fortunate residents use it for shelter in bad weather, elderlys to get to medical appointments, etc., as do throngs of school kids, young professionals. I ride it to get home from work, and always try to be helpful if I see someone from out of town trying to navigate.

Thanks for a nice report and glad that you enjoyed your visit to our city!