10 days in France - Need advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Paris end May arriving early in the morning. Initially we thought of going directly to Annecy by train from Paris CDG but realised that the traveling time is too long especially for kids after a long flight. Would it be better to stop for a night in Paris and continue our journey to Annecy the next day or is it better for us to travel down to Lyon or Dijon, stay for a night and then to Annecy? Our initial plan is to stay in Annecy for 2 nights and then spend rest of our nights in Paris. Appreciate all advice and thanks in advance!
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 06:08 AM

A train to Lyon will take two hours; to Annecy will take about four, a little less on the direct trains from CdG. To take a hotel overnight in Paris will involve up to two hours getting to it. Staying near the airport wastes an afternoon.
You will be tired, sure, but the train is restful (unlike setting out in a car when jet-fatigued.) You may find yourself lulled into snoozing, with no harm done. My eyelids get heavy during train rides even when well rested. Fine; it's a nice way to travel.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 06:27 AM

Lyon is a lovely place to see and you can take the TGV right from the airport. Like Southam said, you will be there in two hours. Go to the Perrache station. If you are sitting on the right hand side after you pass Part Dieu station you will see a stunning view of the cathedral on top of the hill. You can walk to several hotels on the pedestrian street that heads directly out of the station.

Have a nice dinner in Vieux Lyon, a good night sleep and then enjoy your short trip to Annecy.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 06:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a look at the SNCF website, and it appears that in any event you have to change in Lyon:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-t...sultat?hid=BYG

so given you might be suffering from jetlag, I'd agree with grasshopper that that's your best option.

bon voyage!
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:09 AM

I think Southam has the right idea--just keep going on a day you'll be jetlagged anyway. If you get off at Lyon, you have to check into a hotel, etc. And a nice dinner on our first night after a flight is never on the agenda--a waste of money because it will be served late, and we are ready for bed. The next day we are up and about and good to go.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:31 PM

I agree with Southam and Gretchen - you will be tired, so may as well take the 4 hour train ride to Annecy on that day, and save your other days for the fun stuff.

However, perhaps on your way back from Annecy you could add a stop in Lyon. There's plenty to see and do there, the food is wonderful, and it's very different from Paris so you get some added variety in your trip. Plus it will break down the train trip back to two 2-hour trips.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
does anyone know how easy it is to change trains at Lyon?

how easy will it be for the OP and her jetlag to find the Annecy train?