Big Island Advice

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island Advice

Leaving in 5days. Kauai is planned and most of the Big Island. We have Hawaii Revealed in hand and I've downloaded it into my iPad. My question is, what Luau have you attended and did you enjoy it? We are staying in Kona and there are more than one to choose from. I would like a personal recommendion. Also, can you recommend a golf course? As reasonable in price as possible. Third question, How safe is it to drive Saddle Road? At night? Is Green Beach safe to drive (4x4) and hike to? Any place to NOT snorkel or dive?
Thank you and please add anything you recommend to do or NOT to do. We have adult children coming to visit us who know no fear and I get concerned.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM

My husband likes Makalei and Kona Country Club for not too expensive golf http://www.makalei.com/ http://www.konagolf.com/

It's been a couple of years since we drove the Saddle Road--at that time the west end of the road was pretty rough. They were working on the east end as we got closer to Hilo--widening and straightening it. This link will take you to Trip Advisor with some more recent comments about driving it. http://tinyurl.com/bdeq649
As to whether it is safe to drive at night, I wouldn't want to, though I'm sure those who drive it all the time would. There are no services and no lights and some unbanked curves as I recall.

I have no advice about luaus (never been to one) or the road to South Point and the green sand beach.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Our family has gone to the Royal Kona Resort luau twice over the years. We like its location, food and drink are good enough, the show is set with the ocean and sunset in the background, and the price is right.

http://www.royalkona.com/Luaus.cfm#
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 06:13 PM

The Saddle Road is a well designed hiway, except for the Westernmost 10 miles, which are the original road( altho fixed up in many places). After you get past that stretch, no problems, except the occasional speed trap. I have never driven it at night, so cannot help you there. Don't outdrive your headlights, you should be OK.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM

As to the Green Sand Beach, Hawaii Revealed has it right. Tough hike..
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 06:47 PM
cd
Original Poster

martym and peaceout I will check out your links and recommendations...thanks so much!
TravelingMan, I so appreciate your info, did you drive and hike to the Greensand Beach?
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 06:53 AM
cd
Original Poster

martym, I like the Kona Golf...the prices are not bad and I can ride along (do not golf) for $25.00!

PeaceOut, I already had called the Royal Kona for a price and found it is $85.00 with an open bar 5-7pm so appreciate the recommendation.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:10 PM

Offhand don't know of that many unsafe/rip currents in the more popular Big Island snorkeling/diving spots. But even so - always check/ask about the local conditions.

We have enjoyed diving off Kona (was a night dive - saw an octopus jetting around) - and on a day dive - I touched down at 130 feet (only for a few seconds) - and also snorkeling from down by City of Refuge all the way up to the Mona Kea resort.

There is also some good snorkeling (reportedly) over by Hilo - but one popular place - at least at times - has had perhaps a little too much human "content"?
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:32 PM

The best snorkeling I have ever done was at Captain Cooks Memorial. Nothing else can top that amazing bay! We have since snorkeled in Jamaica, Roaton and Grand Cayman and it was just not the same
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:43 PM

I agree with the Captain Cook recommendation for snorkeling!
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM

"snorkeling from down by City of Refuge all the way up to the Mona Kea resort"

If this means Mauna Kea, that's 40 miles of open ocean. Doubt that that's good idea.
cd, there are great boat excursions, very reasonable, that will take you from Kona Pier (or Keauhou Bay) to Kealakekua Bay (Capt. Cook) and Place of Refuge (Two Step) for snorkeling. No fuss, no muss, no parking, and it's an enjoyable way to snorkel two prime spots in one outing.
If you try to 4WD all the way to Green Sand, you will get the stink eye.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:01 PM

where is the city of refuge?
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:09 PM

never mind
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:48 PM
cd
Original Poster

Taking a boat for snorkeling is a good idea to Captain Cooks and Two Step, two in the same day? Who does that?
What is the stinki eye?
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:02 PM

Obviously - one snorkels off the beaches and bays along the Kona coast (find some rocks), but thanks for the truly relevant distinctions sylvia, and oh yes, ye also looking for ?

One can also rent kayaks to snorkel around at Captain Cook's memorial. Just google away.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:08 PM

We went out on a zodiac I got the name of the company off of Tripadvisor I think. Very cool we even saw some whales while we were out!
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:09 PM

The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is taking action at Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park to improve the management, quality and sustainability of this heavily visited and significant natural and cultural resource by temporarily initiating a moratorium on the use of specific vessels in the water, starting Jan. 2, 2013.

During the moratorium, there will be no operating, launching, transiting, beaching or landing of kayaks and other vessels from Napoopoo, within the waters of Kealakekua Bay, and at Kaawaloa Flats.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:12 PM

There is a great municipal 9 hole course in Kalaheo on Kaua'i.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kukuiolono-golf-course-kalaheo
And another municipal one in Wailua on Kauai.
http://www.kauai.gov/default.aspx?tabid=66
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks weke but DH has no time to golf on Kauai, has to wait until BI.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 05:29 AM

"Taking a boat for snorkeling is a good idea to Captain Cooks and Two Step, two in the same day? Who does that?
What is the stinki eye?"

A (very) little research will show you the many many boat tour options that cover those two particular spots in a day cruise (some even serve lunch). Look in any tour book available for free at the airport for coupons: or,
http://www.kona123.com/snorkel.html

Ditto for "stink eye": for example, http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=stink+eye
"The Hawaiian pidgin term for a hard, scornful glare"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -