Need access to a heavy winter coat at Incheon for Seoul day-long transit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing LAX-Seoul(Incheon)-SE Asia at the end of the month with an 15 hour layover in ICN so I would like to get out into Seoul. Obviously with 20-25 F or -8 C temperatures, the light rain jacket which I was planning to carry, will simply not do. I am trying hard not to carry a huge winter coat to Thailand and other boiling hot countries where it will simply be lugged around and encumber my mobility.

***NOTE: I AM NOT RETURNING VIA ICN.***

Sure I can always throw away the coat at ICN if I leave with it from LAX or buy it there in ICN, but that is neither sensible nor economical. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas cuz I ain't got no mo.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Depends on how badly u want to see Sepul I guess......

Mail it back to your home via snail mail

Aloha!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 10:07 AM

you don't necessarily need a heavy coat. A series of layers -- for example, a long-sleeve t-shirt, a lightweight sweater, and a vest (or a short-sleeve t-shirt) in addition to your lightweight rain jacket will do the trick. That's what we do in the Northeast for outdoow winter activities, and it allows you to take off/add a layer if you're too warm/cool. Plan well, and you'll be able to re-use all this stuff during your trip. You may also want a knit hat and some gloves.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 10:28 AM

We considered doing this and thought about sending winter clothing back by ups or FedEx. Contact a hotel in Seoul that you might stay at and ask if that is possible. Or you can leave winter clothes at first hotel in Thailand a d return there the last night to retrieve before returning home.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Take an old down jacket, then give it away. Or get one of the new lightweight ones, which take up hardly any room - I just saw this Patagonia knock-off at Costco in LA yesterday for $70. You will need a light fleece underneath.

You can also do the fleece/rain jacket method described above, adding a thin cashmere sweater. We've used that "system" for various 3-climate trips, including SE Asia and Japan.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 07:40 PM

go buy a really cheap jacket or even a 2nd hand one... should be tons of sales now...
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 05:09 AM

Some of the polar tech fabrics can be folded and stuffed into a very small ...quart size...Baggie and the air squeezed out. A jacket of that, long sleeved shirt, vest of the same, and you should be good to go. Also a silk scarf at the neck will add to your feeling of warmth, and what could be more pack able?
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 08:46 AM

I was thinking about this question while recently out for a half-hour walk in -10C temps in Ontario. Certainly I would want at least a knit hat (or headband to cover the ears) and gloves, as DT suggests. And heavier than average socks too. Beyond that a long sleeve shirt and polar fleece under the rain jacket (maybe with a vest) should work. Any way of layering the upper body should be OK; I'd be more concerned about keeping extremities warm.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 09:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a similar problem as we were going above the Arctic Circle in August and then heading to cities in Continental Europe, all with carry on luggage. We found the answer by buying a lighweight clingy Merino wool shirt made by Icebreaker. It kept us warm in the north as an underlayer and didn't take up too much room in our luggage. I found it in my local hiking store and they also have a website. www.icebreaker.com