DREAM vacation on Anguilla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where to stay on Anguilla??? Shoal Bay Villas??? Others???
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 05:43 AM

Since you're talking DREAM, I would choose Viceroy, Cap Jaluca, Cuisinart, or Fragiagpani.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 12:49 PM

I've had many dream vacations on Anguilla, as it's one of my favorite islands, but it's impossible to plan a dream vacation for YOU without knowing your nightly budget for accommodations and what kind of vacation you want to have. Pampered by a villa or resort staff? Or does your dream vacation involve just you and your honey on your own, with lots of privacy?

It is one of the most expensive destinations in the Caribbean, so accommodations can be as high as $2k per NIGHT in the most expensive villas and the priciest rooms in the resorts. You can also find good deals on very modest inns and villas for $150/night. And everything in between.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

I have been looking at Shoal Bay Villas. I know the price with taxes etc., is around $500 per night in high season. That is about where I would want to be or lower. And getting there - ugh - no direct flights from Chicago area. And expensive??? Yes, from what I am finding. But from what I have read - Shoal Bay is the #1 beach in the Caribbean and we LOVE beaches!!!! We typically do an all inclusive vacation but know that is difficult on this island without spending like $1000 or more per day.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Also consider Carimar, which has the advantage of being on the West End, closer to most of the restaurants. It's on a beautiful beach, Mead's Bay, and in your price range as well.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 07:03 PM

I am in Chicago as well and Anguilla is one of the islands on my list to visit. Obviously, getting there will not be easy (from most of the US btw). The question is how many stops. When I was researching a few months ago, they were mostly 2 stops with a couple of 1 stops. Usually ORD to San Juan, then on to AXA. I will be looking at visiting in April, so please post back to let us know how it all went. Flight, resort, etc. Happy Travels!

PS - Have been to Negril, Mo Bay, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, a few times. Doing all-inclusive at all places. So looking to do something more laid back.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 08:06 PM

I travel from Chicago to Anguilla every other year and will be staying at the Frangipani for the third time in December. It is my dream vacation. In high season, you can get direct flights from O'Hare to St. Martin on United. I tend to go at the end of shoulder season though, so we do O'Hare-Atlanta on Friday afternoon and then take the Delta flight on Saturday morning to St. Martin. From St. Martin it's either a quick flight or ferry ride to Anguilla. It's a lot of travel, but, I know what awaits me on Meads Bay and it's totally worth it.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 12:02 PM

There is a new immigration building right next to the airport now that should make travel to Anguilla easier for those flying into St. Maarten. While I'm not sure it's up and running yet, that is the plan for high season this year.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. From all the research I have done so far - it appears the best is to fly to Saint Maarten then ferry over to Anguilla. Shoal Bay looks to be the #1 beach in the Caribbean so probably best to stay at Shoal Bay Villas.
nycuwsapt - you must really like Frangipani??? How much is that place and what does it include? Do you go for a week? 2 weeks? I was thinking maybe 10 days due to 2 full days of all day travel.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 05:08 PM

I do love the Frangipani. On our last stay we were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite with 3 private balconies. At the end of shoulder season, we pay in the neighborhood of $2500 for the week, not including taxes. Their room rate includes daily continental breakfast at the Straw Hat, which is one of the best restaurants on the island. Being at the Frangipani also puts you in walking distance of some of the best restaurants on the island. Unfortunately work schedules and budgetary constraints make restrict us to a week on the island, but, I'd move in permanently I could afford it! Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM

I like Frangipani, too. I would much rather be on Mead's Bay and take a couple of day trips up to Shoal Bay East. Frangipani is close to most of the restaurants and Mead's is a nice beach itself. Frangi has a variety of accommodations from a studio to a 3 bedroom. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.