Our own country roads tour of France

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yes, you will be back. Now that we've retired, we've decided that we need to travel for at least 3 weeks at a time to make it worthwhile to spend the $ and hours on those long flights! In 2010 we did a month in SW France, in 2011 we did a month in Italy. We loved both, but Italy seems much more expensive so we will likely go back to France more often (also it gives one a chance to stop off in pretty Paris).
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 08:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
but Italy seems much more expensive so we will likely go back to France more often (also it gives one a chance to stop off in pretty Paris).>>

ub - i agree about Italy being expensive in touristy areas, but off the beaten track there are still bargains to be had. The exception to the tourist=expensive rule seems to be Rome where meals can still be obtained quite reasonably, or could when we were there in 2010 and 2008.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM

annhig - I totally agree about Italy. I lived for 6 months in the Liguria region west of Genoa and that region is totally off tourist radar and has some incredibly cheap prices. There are loads of agroturismo places in that region that offer 5 course meals with local products for around 15 euros.

rhon - I've been busy with work but I keep checking in on your report to see what you are up to and that is one fine report you've put together. You explored so many wonderful places that barely, if ever, get a mention in guidebooks or travel forums. My hat goes off to you.

I've been to several of those off the beaten path places you went to but I'm glad you gave me some insight on Orbais-l'Abbaye and Montmort-Lucy. I've been exploring that region a lot recently and those two places have been on my radar so thanks for the insight. I'm going to be checking out the town and château in Condé-en-Brie and some other châeaux, small villages and scenic roads south of Epernay. There is certainly a lot of very pretty countryside in the champagne region in the vicinity of the Marne river.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree with you about the "French fix" thing and you helped fill it in until Sept. when we get our "French fix."

I am sorry to see the end of your report. It was most enjoyable.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM

rhon, I'm so glad I came across your wonderful report! You visited many places that are off the beaten track and many others where we have been on various trips to France and you brought back many pleasant memories for me.

I like your style of travel and would love to know more about how you planned your stays at gites and how they worked out. We have enjoyed house exchanges in Lyon many years ago and just recently in the Dordogne and I imagine that we experienced a similar pace of life as you through these.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:28 PM

Rhon - loved reading your trip report. Just love that French rural countryside.

We spent a month touring in 2009. Back again in 2010 (Alsace) and we will be returning this September. Visiting Ireland first, then on to Belgium and then 2 weeks in the Normandy, Brittany & Loire areas.

We too, cannot get enough of France and you have shared with us some more places, to add to the list. Thank you!
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I know that the way we travel is not for everyone but it is what we love doing. Yes Kerouac, there were some places missing on this trip, but being our fourth trip and now totalling twenty-six weeks, there is a good chance we have visited it on another trip! e.g. four weeks in different parts of Burgundy.

Stevelyon. What can I say? we have enjoyed each week we have had in France and not always for the same reasons. Planning our first trip in 2006, we began with what we had heard of and started researching. So start with what interests you and see where that leads you. It took four trips for us to see Mont St Michel and the Cathar castles, probably because they were unknown to us. But we have been to Alsace, d'Allier, Jura, the Drome. In planning our 2010 trip we ended up with way too many weeks. So that trip was Paris,six weeks in Eastern France broken up by two weeks in two different ares of Tuscany. The rest had to wait until this trip.

Moolyn. Choosing where to stay is difficult. Most people want to stay close to shops and restaurants and that is fine, but not a priority for us. So we are quite happy, as you will have realised by reading my report, to stay in gites on farms or in hamlets with no shops. In our travels around France[ and two weeks in Italy], we have never had a problem with a rental. French Mystique has posted sites he uses and our experience is with some of those. We do like dealing with the owners, but do find Gites de France good as well. For us, it all boils down to what cottage we have settled on and which site it is on - and often the same cottage is on several.

French Mystique, I know your reports are an inspiration to many. We too would not be without our Michelin map book and follow the green scenic roads or detour off to see the chateau marked on the map. Keep up the good work. The French tourist group should be paying you a commission!!

Aussie10, I have read your reports and enjoyed them. From now on I am going to respond because it is nice to know that people have read and possibly enjoyed it. Have a great trip.

Uhoh, you are retired so you have all the time you need! Go for it. Family and friends have stopped saying " What France again? " and asking when we are going again, and DH still has two years to retirement.

Happy travels everyone.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Lovely trip report.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 08:35 AM

bookmarking
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 02:55 PM

Loved your report. Love France too. it's a big country and there's lots to see isn't there? We have only spent a total of 12 weeks there so we have lots more to see, especially the northern WWI battle areas (next o our list )Happy travelling !
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. This was our 2012 trip. We then spent 10 weeks in 2014. We did think that would be it for a while, but twelve months down the track, we find ourselves researching again. We are thinking about an autumn trip this time - again nine or ten weeks. We were there in autumn in 2010 and it was lovely. So, fingers crossed, 2016 Sept - Nov, here we come.

France really lends itself to slow travel which is our philosophy and we have no problem spending a week or two in an area.

Happy travels.