Hawaii Honeymoon - Maui or Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband-to-be and I are planning our honeymoon to Hawaii in July. We will be spending several days on Oahu to start, and then have time to visit one more island. We'd like to do some outdoorsy activities - but hopefully in proximity to a locale where we can be pampered a little, too! We are enthusiastic hikers and also enjoy the beach. Backpacking is great but I don't exactly want that on our honeymoon. Ideally, we'd like to find a nice resort that is suitable for couples that is also in the vicinity of hiking trails, kayaking, and perhaps some horseback riding.

We've heard that both Maui and Kauai are both "outdoorsy" and scenic. Is one better than the other for resorts, hiking, and beaches? Is there much price difference in getting to/from one island as opposed to the other? Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks!
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 12:08 PM

How long do you have for this trip- How many nights?

What is your nightly accomodation budget?

Will you be renting a car?

Inter-island flights are about $80 per person each way. The middle of the day flights fill up, so you do need reservations.

The price depends on your accomodation. For a pampering experience, I'd start at $350 a night. Are you looking for a resort/ hotel with a spa? A condo? A rental house?
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Take a look at this site for some examples of beaches. I am not affiliated with it. I just like the pretty pictures.

www.hawaiigaga.com
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi Placename, thanks for the reply. We have 8 days total (not counting arrival/departure days.) We are flying in and out of Honolulu and will be in Honolulu for maybe 3-4 days, and then want to spend the rest of the time visiting another island.

We will be renting a car, and $80 per person for the inter-island flights sounds very reasonable.

We would like a resort or hotel with a spa - not a condo or rental house because someone else can do the cooking on this trip! We've been looking on Jetsetter and found the Hotel Wailea as a possibility on Maui.

Our accommodations budget is $150-$250/night, although if there was a place that was absolutely amazing, I think we'd have a little flexibility there.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Both Maui and Kauai are wonderful islands. Kauai is more rural and less developed but still has many excellent resorts and lots of beautiful scenery, beaches and hiking. Maui also has all that but is more populated and has even more resorts, more restaurants, and more shopping. You can't go wrong with either island.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM

I know that you said you want to do a second island, but with "only" 8 days, I don't think that you would be bored with Oahu only. There is a way that you could save all the switching-islands logistics hassles.
I suggest that you consider staying at Turtle Bay Resort for the second half of your week. The North Shore is a great change from Waikiki, and DW and I are real TBR boosters, having stayed there 5 times over the years, including last month. While we golf a lot, TBR also has trails, horses, a lot of gorgeous shoreline.... and space!
Yes, both Maui and Kauai are great destinations, but you can catch them on one of your return trips! Its a nice, easy drive from Honolulu, to the North Shore.... at least, consider it!
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 08:37 PM

I agree with above that with 8 days you might consider just one island to give yourselves some "down" time.

Maui and Kauai are good choices, as is Oahu.

Actually the Big Island might be a thought. You could fly into Kona and out of Hilo to save on driving. There are good trails in the Volcano area as well as on the north side. The resorts on the west side will be a nice pamper and Volcano has some romantic B&Bs .
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 11:36 PM

I got married in Hawaii 30 years ago before destination weddings were popular! We chose Kaui and got married/stayed at the Coco Palms resort which was destroyed by the hurricanes about ?15 years ago. Fabuleous! Kaui was perfect for a wedding and honeymoon,... very natural, beautiful, quiet, casual, tropical and romantic!!! The following week we went to Oahu,... it was like a major city,.. beaches were crowded,... traffic,... rented a car and drove west and north alot,... Polinesian Cultural Center day and night show is a must! Everything is a lot more commercial today,... yes, there's a Mac's and Starbucks all over, but, we choose the small local places to get the flavor of what an area is all about. ***I love people and lots of activities, that's why I live in Los Angeles and love it *** But, for a honeymoon,... I wany peaceful, tropical, not a lot of crowds/activites,... you need to relax after the busy-ness of the wedding and traveling,... you need casual, romance, quite time together---> that's what I call perfect!!!
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:11 AM

Spend two days on Oahu/3 max - decompressing, snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, driving around the Island - or part of it - and then get thee to the North Shore of Kauai - the most beautiful part of all of Paradise, where we spend the 2nd week of our Honeymoon - the first being on Big Island (after two days on Molokai).

If you want upscale/pampered - check out the St. Regis Hotel - in Princeville - overlooking Hanalei Bay and with a magnificent view of Bali Hai. http://www.stregisprinceville.com/experience/

The Hanalei Colony Resort - part way to the end of the road - Ke'e Beach - (great snorkeling at Ke'e/Haena Park - and at nearby Tunnels - as well as right in front of the HCR) - is also nice - more remote/quiet - and there are other choices. http://tinyurl.com/6np7vwa,

And yes, the Coco Palms was once magnificent - and the backdrop for part of the movie - Blue Hawaii - with Elvis Presley. The Torchlighting cermeony - complete with blowing Conch shells - was one of the best things you could ever see - and it was free every night!!!! Was great to watch while sipping a Chi Chi/whatever in the bar.
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:18 AM

BTW - the hike at the Haena Park (the end of the road after you cross 7 one lane bridges) is fantastic. You can do just two miles if you choose (you can also then turn inland and hike to a waterfall - a bit of rock scrambling involved but not hard, looking down at the bluest Pacific you will ever see. I/we have been all over the six inhabited islands of Paradise, since '77 - and that is still our favorite hike. Just don't leave any valuables in plain sight in the rental car. Better yet - don't leave any valuables in rental cars. And the beach at Ke'e is also fabulous to watch the sunset and see if you can catch the "green flash". Here is one page but google for other info: http://www.hawaiilogue.com/haena-beach-park.html
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:24 AM

BTW - I disagree with something I just read on that page. In the summer - that is the safest beach - Ke'e - protected by a reef. As you face the sea - at the left hand side - there is a break in the reef where fish can swim in and out, but otherwise - it's a very protected cove.

Rent snorkeling gear (start checking the prices at Snorkel Bob's - and you can take it from Oahu to Kauai, etc) - and also check the coupons in the tourist mags you will find at the airports) Again, it's pretty tame at this beach - in the summers anyway - but do wear your fins - and you can handle about anything.

Told this story before but once - I saw some big Barracuda in the channel leading out to the ocean - down at the bottom (they won't bother you) and I told some local guys who had just arrived to spear fish. They were stoked with the possibility of being able to use their Hawaiian Slings to bring home dinner.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM

If you go to Maui make sure to spend some time out in Hana. There are lots of great hiking areas and the hike to te waterfalls at the 7 Sacred Pools is a must do.
I was there in March and stayed a few nights in Hana and was very happy that I did. We were at Travaasa Hana it used to be the Hotel Hana Maui, they have lots of free activities. We trid the Hawaiian fish net throwing and Archery classes. Not far from Hana is a large Lava Tube that you can explore, it isprivate and cost about $12 but was well worth it.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM

Aloha. My husband and I have been happily going to Maui for years, and just went to Kauai for the first time last year. Both are fantastic.

If I were going to honeymoon, I'd look at the Koa Kea. http://www.koakea.com

We visited this property while on Kauai, and found it fabulous. Small, intimate, perfect for honeymooners!

Congrats!
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM

The "7 Sacred Pools" is a myth.

There are not 7 pools, nor were they ever sacred.

It's a nice trip neverthelss. However, be very very careful around the pools. There have been multiple fatalities due to slipping on mud, wet rocks, being hit by loose rocks, being swept into the ocean when getting too close.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:47 AM

North Shore of Kauai for sure that time of year. You might be able to find a place at Hanalei Bay Resort for that price, but their bar and restaurant is not yet reopened. Otherwise look into condos (you do not have to cook just because there is a kitchen!) with your budget. Might find some places on the East Shore (not swimmable beaches) in that price range, not sure what the Sheraton is running these days but they just finished remodeling so rates may have gone up.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM

I think you would enjoy Kauai's north shore, and although the very isolated, Hana is Heaven, it's not for everyone. Special vacation rentals can be found at both.

Tomsd: You continue to misrepresent Haena Park. The trail you speak of is Kalalau that begins at Ke'e Beach. Hanakapi'ai Beach is 2 miles in so the hike isn't two miles but 4. Going to the falls is another couple of miles making that about an 8 mile hike. A woman recently drowned trying to cross the water from the beach during a very rainy period, swept out to sea. And when someone says their budget is $150 -$250 a night, to suggest the St Regis is a bit disrespectful.

Napaman: I hope you enjoyed your stay at Travassa. Hate the name, but love the original hotel, it's history and it's local staff, but does not fit into the OP's budget. I certainly hope the staff didn't call O'heo gulch the 7Sacred Pools as that is a marketing travel book tourism name that most do not like nor use. There are not 7 pools and they are not considered sacred. A little girl was swept out to sea there recently during a flash flood.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:58 AM

I'd stay away from Kauai's east side for a honeymoon. Can't swim on the beaches, have to drive everywhere, sort of in the middle but not close to anything special.

Hanalei is special. Find a place there.
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:07 PM

I apologize, the little girl at O'heo Gulch died from a rock slide. She didn't drown.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for these valuable suggestions.

We have an apartment to stay in in Honolulu from a family member, who kindly offered it to us, so we have accommodations on Oahu already - and they are free, which is great!

That gives us some flexibility for staying somewhere a little splashier for the rest of our trip. From what I am hearing, Kauai sounds like a good fit for us. We are very interested in hiking, snorkeling, and some swimming, and both of us could use some "down time" and pampering as well. A resort like Ko'a Kea definitely fits the bill, so thanks, Iregeo, for that suggestion! The St Regis looks lovely but that is out of our budget.

Maybe it is pertinent to mention that we are flying in from Washington, DC, which is quite a haul, so I don't think we will be coming to Hawaii frequently. We don't want to stress ourselves out while we are there traveling to a bunch of places, but we would like to see two islands during our stay so we can feel we've gotten a little sampling of what Hawaii has to offer.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:46 AM

The Ko'a Kea is a great choice. I answered on your other thread about driving distances. If you're staying in Poipu, you can get all the way north, or all the way south/west within an hour or less.

Some good restaurants in the south -- Josselin's (small plates, very modern and trendy), and Casa di Amici (good Italian food, very traditional, nothing trendy or modern about it!). There's the old standbys - Roy's and Keoki's - right across the street from the hotel. Keoki's food isn't great, but it's good and the atmosphere is really nice (very tropical)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -