Costa - have you? would you?

Old Apr 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa - have you? would you?

Have any of you actually done a Costa cruise? What was your experience? After recent events and past negative comments, would any of you even consider a Costa cruise? Their prices are so good right now and some itineraries so interesting, it is really tempting. We are not terribly picky about most things, but do want to feel safe, and that seems to be an issue. While pretty comfortable with other languages, I wonder if that might also be an issue. With so many other easy choices, it is not likely we would ever do it, but I am curious about other's opinions.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Well I would not have used them b4 the latest incidents. No way for them now or MSC for that matter. BTW Sass we booked the Equinox next fall and will back in IST and some of the other places we went to and some others as well.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM

Same. Not before and not now. There are other lines I would not consider, but mostly that is a matter of style. However, when the style is problem, safety is also often an issue. I notice that often when incidents occur, they are on ships I would not have considered.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 09:22 AM

Ditto, Aristotle, ditto.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Have not and would not - judging by Cruise Critic reviews.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

I agree with all of you. I am always open though to a change of heart if I learn something different or things change, so was kind of hoping for some more positive opinions. Not to be.

Jacketwatch, Someplace I think I noticed you were doing the Equinox in the Fall. We absolutely loved Istanbul, know you enjoyed it also. I do wish you could make it to Cappadocia. Knowing how much you enjoy history, I think you would find it very interesting. Does your cruise begin or end in Istanbul? If so, perhaps you could add a couple of days and fly out to Cappadocia.

We should have taken a cruise this Spring because other plans fell apart. Oh, well, this Fall maybe.

Have you seen anything from the Dogster lately? Totally delightful and charming character - hope he doesn't mind being called a character because it is a term of endearment to me and he qualifies. I hope he is doing OK.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Well actually Sass it is IST in the middle as it ports there for two days. It embarks from and ends in Rome. Sorry but no chance for Cappdocia this time but perhaps there will be another time as we like you really liked Turkey. I'm not sure if Sue would like so much walking ala in Ephesus however.

I am sorry to hear that your plans did not come together but hopefully they will in the fall. If you cruise any thoughts as to where this time?

The dogster is recovering at home in Oz as I hear he had a fall and broke a few ribs. I feel on the ice one winter and broke one so I know how sore a "few" must feel like. I think he was away for 5 mos. BTW and yes he is a cool character. Sue calls him the "hot dog" and as with you this term is meant in a most kind way.

I do hope that sometime we can meet again. That dinner at Tuscany that night was pure fun. We most enjoyed the dogster and your company. I think of that from time to time actually as it was so nice. Do say hello to your hubby for us. Pretty cool cat!!

Cheers, Larry and Sue
Old May 6th, 2012, 01:57 AM

Well in 2010 we cruised on Costa Allegra out of Singapore. Just like any other cruise line, gratuities, expensive drinks, expensive shore excursions what else can I say. It's the 'nature of the beast' you have to expect all this, but in Costa's defence, we fully enjoyed our trip. Excellant food, a very interesting itinerary, comfortable & clean throughout the ship, a rare mix of passengers from Russians, Italians, Ausies, Japanese, French and of course us Brits. So would I sail on a Costa cruise again, of course I would in fact we sail on Costa Mediterranea in two weeks.
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:42 AM

Nope and nope. Nothing to do with the sinking or the fire, by the way. From everyone I've talked to, the quality of the experience is just not up to that of the US-based lines.
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM

No and No! Wouldn't before, and certainly would not now!
Been on 15 cruises, and planning another soon. No way to Costa!
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:51 PM

We did a Costa Serena from Venice in 2008, with stops in Bari, katakolon, Istanbul, Dubrovnik. I had no issues with them at all, but of course I understand current hesitations given the recent events.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 08:43 AM

Have been on 2 previous cruises with Costa and are going again on Deliziosa soon
Other than the multiple language announcements and a bit of Italian disorganization we have had no real problems except the getting on and off the ships in ports could be better organised
They could learn plenty from Royal Caribbean and others on this score
Try getting Prosciutto at the San Daniela Fest - same chaos every year but no-one goes hungry
The crew from Top to Bottom are a bit arrogant but maybe the Concordia mess has got the management to wake up and smell the roses
Will report back after the next trip
Remember lightening usually doesn't strike twice in the same place
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 12:45 PM

Have not gone on them--and won't