BUCKET LIST PART 1--MENDOCINO, CA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 years ago I was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer and have been trying to Carpe Diem and travel when I can. I've been on some great trips (Barcelona, Italy, California Coast from SD to Big Sur, Lake Tahoe and the California Zephyr, cruise to Alaska).
I have been Stage 4 for 3 year (there is no stage 5) but have felt really pretty well until this past winter. But, all things considered, I am doing exceptionally well and want to travel while I can. Every CT scan is worse so I am feeling the urgency of gathering my rosebuds (yada yada yada)

Anyway, DH has business meetings in SF (one of my favorite cities, but not with shortness of breath and limited energy). I will joiin him the last day and we will drive up the coast to Mendocino. OMG, I'm not quite sure why it took me decades to find Mendocino (you didn't know it was lost, did you?)--it sounds perfect...the California Coast, Art Galleries, gardens, cafes...ideal.

We've booked a nice enough B&B but have to change rooms and it is on the second floor (I'm not good at stairs these days). But nice enough is not what I'm going for. This is the last time I wll ever be here. I want a great view and a comfortable, wonderful room. I see what the computer has, but am looking for a personal recommendation.

Also, for restaurants. We have reservations the first night for Cafe Beaujolais..good? Or overrated?

Please help. I only have one more day to commit.

Thanks so much
(PS I'm not editing this--because when I tried to edit my first one it disappeared into cyber space)
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 07:14 AM

I am so sorry for your diagnosis, but good for you on all those wonderful trips! I like to think that's what I would do, should I ever receive such news.

It's been years since I was in Mendocino, but agree that it is simply wonderful--one of my favorite places ever. A co-worker was in that area a couple of years ago and stayed at the Whale Watch Inn---raved about it! Here is the link to their website:

http://www.whalewatchinn.com/

Best wishes for a memorable and relaxing trip!
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 07:18 AM

I haven't been to Mendocino but am researching it for an uncoming trip. Have you looked into renting a cottage? Lots of gorgeous homes on vrbo.com with unbelieveable views.

I hope you have a great trip!
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Hi, the Whale Watch is in my town, Gualala, about an hour and 45 minutes south of Mendocino.

If you do decide to come down this way, St. Orres is a renowned restaurant in Gualala. Closer to Mendocino is the Albion River Inn, just a fantastic place for food, view, service, all of it.

The Mendocino Hotel (I was jsut there yesterday) is also very nice with a beautiful bar/lobby where locals hang out and read, play chess, etc., just really mellow.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Lisa
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Mendocino IS lovely. Try to leave early enough from SF to allow for leisurely drive whenever you get to the coast. Having a sandwich at a spot with a great view is wonderful, even if it is a windy chilly day. So bring your windbreaker, and have a great time. The gustier days are some of the best on the north coast, in my opinion.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Don't know if the old Gualala hotel/bar/restaurant is still there - but we loved it - when four couples went there way back in the 70's. You had to go out back for the rest rooms -and then wash your hands in the sink outside the rooms - where a sign was prominently displayed:

No washing waders in the sink. Guess there were some sportsmen who also stayed there.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 02:05 PM

Hi Tom,

Sadly, the hotel is closed for now. It was the town hangout for more than 100 years but the owners couldn't make a go of it with the economy tanking and all so it was shuttered two years ago. And, yes, it was legendary!

Best,
Lisa
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Good 4 u . I admire your will to do as much as u can. I love Mendocino. check out Brewery Gulch Inn-it's lovely. It's across the bridge from the town itself and looks back over the river to the town. U would need to drive into the town, but parking is easy and it's maybe a five minute drive. well worth it for staying at the Inn. Have enjoyed Beaujolais for dinner. Last time was maybe two years ago and it was very good.
good luck to u.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not in Mendocino but just a few miles down the coast is the Little River Inn http://www.littleriverinn.com/

Absolutely amazing water views, balconies/decks. There is a nice restaurant, casual bar, and spa on site, and it is only about 5 mins drive from the shops/restaurants of Mendocino. They have all sorts/prices of accommodations and many are ground floor.

Good luck . . .
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Oh -- probably shouldn't have said >>a few miles
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! thank you ! for your replies.
Musician, the Whale Watch Inn is exactly what we are looking for, but in Mendocino.
Gualala does sound like it is worth a long visit which we will do either on our way there or back. Lisa, how do you pronounce it Gwalala or Gu ah lala? And thanks for the St Orres rec--we will check it out.
Suz, we may not be able to leave early enough for too much leisure, but we are planning to spend our last night at an airport hotel so that we can take as much time as we want on the return trip without worrying about catching a plane.
Austin (I went to school there), for a healthy person or a family a VRBO sounds ideal. I want to be pampered and taken care of and I want someone else to make my breakfast. That's why I'm looking for the best B&B I can get in town.
Thanks, Ellen
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM

glisa: Sorry to hear that. It was a classic and we got very toasted there a couple of nights - enjoyed walks down by the beach, etc etc. Ahhh - back when we wuz young and carefree - and had extra denaro - and lovely lasses laughing all the time.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM

BTW Conbrio: Keep up that great attitude and go for it spirit.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM

I apologize...I should not have relied on my memory as I thought the Whale Watch was closer to Mendocino than 90 minutes! So sorry. I hope you have a good time and wish I had better information for you.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

janisj--thank you! I went to the web site and it looks wonderful. And they have a delux ocean view room that we can have all 3 days. Best, the room is on the first floor. Thanks so much.
Ellen
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 06:05 PM

So glad it worked out for you. You'll really enjoy it there . . . the staff are so nice and they will do room service so if you are tired you can eat w/ the views from your room.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Hi again,

It's "Wa-LA-la." We actually had a town meeting about 25 years ago to decide on that - it's how we tell the locals from the tourists. Actually, another way to tell a tourist is a cell phone - very few locals use them.

And wanted to second the Little River Inn - it is very nice and very close to Mendocino.

Musicfan, the best way to remember where Gualala is, is that we are an hour and 45 minutes north of Bodega Bay ("The Birds") and an hour and 45 minutes south of Mendocino. And there's not much in between! (But it is one gorgeous drive.)

Tom, yes the nights at the hotel with literal cowboys and Indians and people thrown through the windows like in an old Western movie. Those were the days!

Best,
Lisa
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Lisa - reminds me of my home town of Klamath Falls, Oregon. We had loggers, mill workers, farmers, ranchers, cowboys, construction workers, truck drivers and guys from the AFB wondering into town thinking they were tough - plus our resideent Native Americans - and those from the reservation about 30 mile away - were never shy about mixing things up.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:38 AM

con_brio: so sorry about your condition and very glad to see you making a go of it with travel!

You've gotten some excellent advice here. walalalisa is our resident expert on the Mendocino coast.

What you are going through reminded me of a marvelous story I read over the weekend in the National Geographic Traveler magazine. Unfortunately, the article,by Edward Readicker-Henderson, is not yet available online. It's an absolutely remarkable story, one of the beginning paragraphs starts out like this:

"I've been traveling against all medical advice since 1990, when I collapsed down the stairs of a Japanese train station - "

Hope you get to read it sometime, because the message is: "There is always a tomorrow".

Have a great trip to California and we'll see you again, I'm certain of it!
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your answers. I look forward to reading the article. Have to go to the book store today so will grap one. Lisa thanks for letting me know how to pronounce the name of the town. I love that people don't use cell phones. No one looks you in the eye here--they are too busy watching their smart phones.

I have made reservations for Little River Inn. The room sounds great (and it is the same room all three nights). We will be sure and eat at St. Orres either on the way there or back. Gualala sounds like a fun place to explore.

Acctually, it all sounds fun and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for all of your help.

Now, if only my husband would book the plane...

Ellen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -