Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome with 2 children in August - Pantheon or Trastevere?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching incessantly for a quad room in Rome without a pull-out sofa bed, and 2 twins instead for the kids. For those in the know, would you stay in Trastevere at the Santa Maria or near the Pantheon in an upscale bed and breakfast for approx. the same amount. I am so confused because both options are attractive.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM

I would stay near the Pantheon because I think the kids would enjoy the piazza della Rotunda and the Piazza Navona.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 01:37 PM

I second staying near the Pantheon. Having stayed in both areas and enjoying each of them for different reasons, I feel like the Pantheon area is more suited to families and children.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM

I vote for the area around the Pantheon too. It's easier to get around from there.

You don't say how long you will be there or the ages of the kids, but if you would like an apartment near the Piazza Navona (which is near the Pantheon and a great location), I can recommend the one we stayed in last summer:

https://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show...d_appartam=345

I checked a few random dates and it runs from about 126 - 140 Euroes a night. It was much cheaper for us than a hotel. The important thing for you is that it has a loft with twin beds as well as the master BR. The loft has steep steps so wouldn't be good for really young kids. If you are going in the summer, it has A/C. Other plusses: elevator, washer. Perfect location and very homey.

I have pictures of it in my trip report - 'Alps and volcanoes'. Click on my name and scroll down to near the end of the report for the link to pictures of Rome, Part 1 and the pictures are near the beginning, or better yet, just click on this link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=c925c640fd
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 03:17 PM

Agree with all who have posted, especially since you are traveling with children. I've stayed in both areas and while others love Trastevere, it's not my favorite.