Traveling to London, wondering if I should purchase Oyster or London Pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family of 3 traveling to London for 6 days and we are wondering if it worth purchasing with the Oyster or London pass before our travels?
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 05:24 PM

No.
The Pass is NOT a good value. You can get the Oyster upon arrival easily and not have to pay shipping.

(There's a whole other "thing" about how to use some discount vouchers which give 2forpriceof1 admisstions to some things. To use these vouchers, called 2for1 vouchers, you will also have to have a PAPER ONE-DAY TRAVEL CARD which are issued at stations which serve both rail and Tube. These vouchers are a good deal, probably the only discount worth pursuing for a 6 day visit to London. But this also depends on what you think you want to see. There are lots of threads about this topic, so you could use the search function and check into that if you want.)

But, to repeat short answer to your post--No to both questions.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Yep. Listen to texasbookworm. The easiest thing to do is buy Oyster cards once you're London.

Personally math gives me a headache so I just load £20 on my card at the beginning of a trip and top it up down the road if necessary.

Keep the cards with you when you leave and then you can reuse them when you return to London.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 11:59 PM

"The easiest thing to do is buy Oyster cards once you're London." But not the thing to do if you want to use the 2 for 1's.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 01:55 AM

Info on the 2for1 deals in London:
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

You will not get access with these on your oyster, you need to buy a travel card from a National Rail (overland train) station. I think there is a list in the link above.

There is a tonne of info on this on this forum so if you have further questions a search using the search function above on 'oyster' or '2for1' is sure to bring up many many threads.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 01:57 AM

BTW for 6 days I think the cheapest option is a 7 day travelcard - bought at a National Rail Station so you can get the 2for1s will be your best bet. Plus it allows you unltd travel in zone 1-2 (all you will likely need). They cost £29.20 each: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

They allow unltd travel on buses, tube, overground and regular overland trains in zone 1-2.

The tfl link above will give you access to maps and journey planners.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I will not listen to my travel agent and will Not purchase the London Pass and will wait on purchasing the Oyster card until my arrival into London.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
burrage3,

We just returned from 7 days in London. We purchased an Oyster card which was perfect. If you click on my name you'll see a thread about cards and passes. As texasbookworm told me, "I hope you have the terminology as straight as you can. Do NOT buy any "Passes"--they are NOT worth the money." We bought the CARD (not pass) when we arrived - it was very easy. Happy travels!

Ellen
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 03:05 AM

<i>We purchased an Oyster card which was perfect. </i>

So you weren't interested in saving £20.90 on the entrance fee to the Tower of London, £18.90 on the London Eye, £16 on Westminster Abbey, £14.5 on the Cabinet War Rooms & Churchill Museum, £15.95 on Hampton Court Palace, £12.50 on Shakespeare's Globe...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...n_England.html
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 03:24 AM

As Alan/Jamikins has said, don't buy an Oyster card unless you're not interested in the 2 for 1's.