Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good deals on flights from Mia to Rome and Venice???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I've been shopping around for flts from Mia to Rome and leave from Venice or vice-versa.
I could also leave out of Orlando if fare is much better. I found $929 p/p with one stop in March OR in May it goes up to $1200 p/p. we are a family of 4, I was wondering if anyone know of a Italian travel agency in the States that offers better deals??
I travel to Brazil often and always buy my tkts thru a Brazilian agency in ft lauderdale, they have the best deals. So I thought maybe the Italians have the same??

I also heard that connecting flts thru Germany is cheaper, I'll check into that next.
any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated
thank you, Lilian
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 12:38 PM

The airlines have sales. To take advantage of one, be prepared: know when you want to fly and have an idea of what the optimal flights are. For example, Delta is the only airline that has a direct flight from my city (Portland, OR) to Europe (to Amsterdam), so I try to book an itinerary that includes that flight. If I had an option for a direct flight to Rome and/or Venice I'd look for sales on them and when one pops up, be ready to jump on it.

You can try Airfarewatchdog for example - they can email you when a fare drops. Sometimes the fare sales are brief so you have to be prepared.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM

Be careful with flight schedules when flying out of VCE, if your flight departs very early in the morning your only option will be to pay for a very expensive water taxi to the airport. You can avoid this by flying MIA - VCE/FCO - MIA.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Andrew and RJames, Iwill keep my eyes open for sales. thank you for your tips. I will also change my plans and fly to VCE and leave from FCO.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 12:11 PM

You will also find better fares if you can be flexible about your travel days. Midweek fares are often cheaper than Friday-Sunday.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

ellenem :thank you I'm trying for Thur/Mon.

I heard some museums don't open on mondays. Does that apply to Florence too?
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 05:01 PM

The two major galleries that are of interest to many in Florence--the Accademia Gallery which features Michelangelo's David and the Uffizi Galleries famous for Renaissance masterpieces--are closed on Mondays. Also be aware that some museums and most churches may be closed at midday for lunch or open only in the mornings. Carefully research the openig times of the places you really want to visit to be sure you will not be disappointed by a "closed" sign.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ellenem! Good to know. Now I can go to 5 Terre before going to Florence.