Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buy Paris Pass or pay a la carte for 5 days in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it make sense to buy the Paris pass that provides entry to museams, river cruises and the metro card? I am better off picking and choosing individually? Is anyone familar with this program - http://www.parispass.com/
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 11:59 AM

It normally does not pay to purchase the Paris pass. We were just in Paris for 3 days and spent 24 Euro for 2 carnets (10 tickets each) of metro tickets, and we had 2 tickets left. And unless you are running from museum to museum, you won't get a bargain rate on admissions.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

I wasn't planning on running from museum to museum. My friend thought the ticket might also cover transportation to and from CDG and they thought in that case it would be valuable.
What did you do for three days? I only have 4 1/2 days. I bought the Frommers "24 Great walks in Paris" and located the website for Paris walking tours http://paris-walks.com/vegetarian.html . Any other suggestions? I would love to go to concert or the opera every night! Is the Seine river cruise at night too touristy?
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Usually individual components are cheaper as it is the rare person who utilizes all of the perks of the Paris Pass - but if you do it can be a bargain. Check out the Navigo Pass for cheap metros and Paris Museum Pass for unlimited entries to zillions of museums - or just buy a carnet of tickets for metro at about 40% cheaper than buying single tickets. www.ratp.fr for the official Paris Transports web site.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Is the carnet just for metro or does it include buses, etc?
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:46 PM

KeppieAngel, I would not discount an evening cruise on the Seine – Paris’s unique architecture, flooded by lights, is "magical"- a word I use sparingly. You do not have to do a dinner cruise to enjoy the views…
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 01:19 PM

The Paris Pass is not a good value. For what you can realistically use of the Paris Pass, you are far better off purchasing the items separately.

The Paris Pass does NOT include transportation to/from the airports. It does offer a Paris Visite Pass which provides transportation within central Paris only. Separately, the Paris Visite Pass for unlimited, two day travel within Paris is 15.20€ which is probably more than you need pay. For two days, you can purchase a block of 10 single ride tickets for 12.50€ which may be shared. All of these options will include passage on the métro, RER (within central Paris only), and buses.

There are a host of transportation options between CDG and central Paris to include taxis (about 50€), RER/métro (9.10€), Roissybus (10€) or one of the Air France buses (15€ to 16.50€).

If you plan on spending a lot of time at museums, consider the Paris Museum Pass:

http://www.parismuseumpass.com/
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM

carnet tickets I believe can be used on buses but these may not offer the flat fare to go anywhere on one ticket - transfers may require another ticket - I think this has changed so is simpler but not sure. But you can use carnet tickets on either the metro, RER (within central Paris), buses and the tramways.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 01:35 PM

The ticket t+, which typically comprises a carnet (though any 10 tickets purchased together can be called a carnet), is valid anywhere the métro goes (regardless of zone), anywhere on the RER (within zone 1), on any bus (except buses to the airports), on the tramways, as well as on the funicular at Montmartre. Transfers are allowed between the métro and RER but not between either of those and any bus.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
The t+ tickets do include transfers between buses but not between the bus and the metro. Oddly, the tickets sold on the bus do not include transfers; you have to buy the ones that are sold in the metro to include transfers from bus to bus.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 12:35 AM

Hi KeppieAngel,
My name is Mandy and I am part of the Paris Pass team, I noticed there has been a lot of questions asked on the Paris Pass and just wanted to make myself available to answer any questions you may have on the product.

I'd recommend planning your visit and looking at what sort of attractions you want to see then working out which option works best for you

Let me know if you have any questions