Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going solo to Siena- should I rent a car, stay in town or country?

Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm a 25 year old female going on a 50 day solo trip to Europe. In September, I have a few days set aside for Siena- coming from Florence, and then heading to Cinque Terre afterwards.

so Day 1 of Siena will be getting there from Florence, Day 2 I've scheduled a daytime cooking class with Gina Stipo at Ecco Cucina, and then Day 3/4 are for exploring.

I'm considering staying at Fattoria di Cavaglioni. does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this place and if it'd be good for me as a solo traveler? it's about halfway between the city and where I'm taking the cooking class.

also, I'm considering renting a car. I've never driven outside the US, and I'm a little bit nervous about this, but I've heard that the only way to explore Tuscany is by car. anything I should consider before making this decision? if I want to spend the day in Siena, will parking be difficult?
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM
pdx

I vote for staying in Siena. It's such a lovely little city with a beautiful vibe. Excellent ceramics.

As far as renting a car, just do it. It's not that much different than driving in a strange city in the U.S. except the damn signs. You'll get used to it and you'll love the opportunity to pull over to see whatever you want and to eat at places that wouldn't be available to you if you traveled only by train. And remember, roundabouts are your friends. Just keep going around and around until you find the right sign pointing in your direction. Take your gps with you.

I don't remember where the parking is for Siena but it will definitely be outside the city. No big deal, park the car and walk.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:54 AM

I would agree that by far the best way to explore Tuscany is by car. the freedom to go wherever you want, when you want, stop when you want, take a detour when you want, etc. will result in a much more memorable trip than taking something like a bus tour. nothing wrong with the tour if that's your only options, but if you can afford the car it's worth it.

Don't worry about driving. It's the same as it is back home (wherever that is). Highways are fast and straight and country roads are hilly and curvy. Get a good map (or rent a GPS is you can afford it). Signage is excellent throughout Tuscany and you'll be surprised at how simply following signposts will actually get you where you want to go.

Parking in Siena doesn't need to be tough. Research before you go where the lots are and know how you need to get there. The earlier in the day you get there the easier it will be. You should't have a problem.

You'll love the CT as well. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Driving a car in Tuscany is easy. Little traffic (except around the cities like Siena and Florence) and the drivers are polite.

I would stay in Siena since it's so nice after the day trippers leave. Also you don't want to be driving back from dinner on dark roads. I always prefer to stay in a town for this reason.

There are large parking decks near the walls. Ask your hotel for the closest parking. Get a letter allowing you to drive into Siena to drop off your luggage and keep that letter for a long time in case you get a ticket afterwards.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

update- an automatic vehicle will cost $550 (cheapest I found among europecar.com, autoeurope.com, and expedia.com), which is about twice as much as I'd like to spend. any suggested alternatives?
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Try www.economycarrental.com I have consistently found them to be the cheapest.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Rental prices on automatics become a little better if you rent for a longer period than a couple of days.

SHould come to about $80 a day for an automatic over a 5-10 day rental.

Be wary of really subcompact cars like the Fiat 500. No luggage space and probably really slow, which could be problems on hills and trying to pass on two-lane roads.

Of course, easier to park though.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM

If I were 25 again and traveling alone, I would want to stay in the town of Siena without the hassle and cost of a car. Plus, I think it would be more lively for you. (I rented an automatic too, out of necessity, and, as you have found, it's not inexpensive.) I might suggest purposefully picking only those towns that you can get to easily using the bus (or train)- it is more cost effective for a single person. Perhaps the cooking class can give you transportation tips on getting there for that particular day -- like a driver or taxi they can recommend.

For instance, for our trip, we took a bus from Florence to San G., and then a bus from there to Siena (after which we picked up the rental car). I find it less stressful not having a car, you don't have to drive & navigate & worry about parking - you can just look out the bus window.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM

I'm going to agree with davispeets on this one primarily because it's your first trip and you'll be alone. If you are driving, you can't truly enjoy the scenery that you'll be passing by.

My suggestion would be to stay in Siena on day 3 and take a bus tour on day 4 to one of the beautiful nearby towns. Am sure your hotel concierge would have info for you and can make a reservation. Taking a bus will remove the stress of renting a car, driving and parking and also will give you some people to talk with if you choose to. You can then enjoy the journey as well as the destination.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 03:41 AM

You are young and may face the car rental issue many times in the future if you continue to go to Europe. Learn how to drive a manual- you have time if you start now. The rental costs of an automatic over several trips will stagger you- and you aren't guaranteed to get an automatic when you want one. Consider it part of the experience.

There's not a thing wrong with the Fiat 500 in Italy. That crack must have come from an SUV driver. "Easier to park though". Exactly. Also easier to pay for when fuel costs at least twice what it does here. Try to rent a diesel, if you can for lower fuel costs and better economy with the same performance.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 04:46 AM

If you're heading from Florence to Siena say with your luggage and you want to stop for a couple of hours in San Gmignano, you'll have to put that luggage in the back seat of the Fiat 500, because the trunk space probably isn't big enough.

Can't really park a car with luggage showing in that case.

You'll also notice when you try to pass someone that the small engine in the Fiat 500 is a liability, potentially a dangerous one if you have to try to pass with cars heading towards you and you don't have the power to quickly pass.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:35 AM

scrb11 - oh oh, your example (Florence to Siena, with a stop in San Gim) is exactly my plan on my solo trip in the Fall with a car rental of a manual subcompact! Will a carry-on 22" suitcase fit in the Fiat500 trunk? That was my hope! As I plan on traveling via R222/429 - no autostrada - I'm not concerned about the passing ability of a subcompact, but do like the parking ease.

azhawk - do try out a manual before your trip! Easy, and much less costly. I was concerned there would be no navigator, but bought some good maps and will bring my GPS! Also, the bus schedules from Siena to other hill towns are very sporatic, and I didn't want to be controlled by their timetables. Through Kemwell (europcar pick-up), my 4 day rental of a manual subcompact is $210. In Siena I'm staying at the Palazzo Ravizza - inside the walls and free car park! Do have a great trip!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:45 AM

A 22-inch may fit but a 25 or 26 inch probably won't fit.

Not sure if the hatch is completely covered up either.

People who haven't driven manuals could have issues with it on hilly roads, at the same time they're trying to figure out where to go.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM

rs899 is giving you excellent advice - consider it. Driving a manual is not hard with a little practice.

I have to disagree about subcompact cars - I have driven cars like the fiat 500 all over Italy, never alone, without problems finding covered luggage room - the Fiat 500 is based on the Fiat Panda and I've driven plenty of those - and unless you are carrying a huge amount of luggage you will be OK. The covered luggage area in the 500 is 9.5 cubic feet which is more than enough for an average traveler alone - and there there are other sub compacts as well that will also do.

Siena is a wonderful place to base and if car rental is out of your budget, there are public buses that go to most of the hill towns departing from Sienas central station (near the Jolly Hotel). They are CHEAP. BTW, be sure to take the bus from Florence to Siena, not the train. It should be under an hour and a half and will leave you right in the center, just outside one of the gates to the old city.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM

Whether your stuff fits or not, not sure. If you are alone and you are taking a hard shell case luggage, poor planning. Bring something that can be smashed a bit to fit the car. We rented a Lancia Beta with a 1.3 litre engine and stuffed 3 people in it without a problem ( and was expecting something bigger and diesel- surprise!) The car behaved perfectly well and kept up with traffic well enough. Spirited driving? Yes, but that just adds to the experience.

We stayed in a beautiful Agriturismo near Collona Di Grillo outside of Siena and had a blast.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM

azhawk - Something else that may be affecting the rate you're quoted is that many companies have higher rates for rentals of less than three days. You might want to call AutoEurope 1-800-223-5555 to discuss your best options. They're very friendly and knowledgeable.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I'm only taking a 22 inch rolling duffel bag, so that shouldn't be a problem- but I definitely won't have the chance to drive a manual vehicle before I leave for my trip. I'm spending the next couple of weeks studying for the bar exam, then taking the bar exam, and then off I go!

I spoke with AutoEurope and $550 was the best they could do, unfortunately.

Are vespas/scooters a viable option for exploring the countryside or visiting neighboring towns from Siena?
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM

No I wouldn't take scooters on hilly roads.

How are you going to take a 50-day tour on only a 22-inch bag. Have you packed everything you would need into one?

Unless you do laundry frequently, you're not going to want to pack dirty laundry together with clean clothes.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

yes, I've packed everything I need into one bag, and I use separate packing cubes for clean and dirty clothes. I'm a pretty light traveler- 2 pairs of pants, a skirt, a few sundresses, a few short-sleeved shirts, one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of flip flops... toiletries, electronics, my travel folder, and a collapsable longchamp bag... and I'm pretty well set (this isn't my entire list, but pretty close)! I'll try to find a laundromat once a week or so, and use sinks as washing machines to get me through when I need a fresh pair of socks (or whatever).

I think the benefits of packing light exceed the pitfalls, so I've tried to whittle my packing list down to the bare essentials!
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 10:08 PM

You will see plenty of Italians on scooters on those roads. If you are a skillful rider, then go for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -