Search

Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid

Can anyone give me advice on hotels in madrid? Places to go and places to stay away from? Also where is the best part of the city to stay in?
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Hi

When are you going? How long for? What is your budget (in euro)? Single or Double room? We stayed near Puerta del Sol which was very convenient for sightseeing.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

I am flying into Madrid on December 30th and leaving Jan. 2. I need a double room. I would like to spend maximum US$170/145(Euro). There are so many places to stay, but i do not know any of these hotels and expedia makes it difficult to truly judge the hotels.

Also do you possibly have any suggestions for restaurants in Paris, France for Christmas?

Thank you
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:52 PM

Hi again

I suggest you use the search facility in this forum for more info. Also use Trip Advisor - www.tripadvisor.com - for hotel reviews. Once you've selected your hotel/s list them here for discussion. Have a look at this map - http://www.map-of-spain.co.uk/large-map-of-madrid.htm. Broadly speaking anything between The Palace on the West and Prado on the east is convenient. The Hotel Maria Elena Palace is bang on budget, includes breakfast and is well located - http://www.hotelmariaelenapalace.es. See also Hotel Petit Palace Plaza del Carmen - http://www.madridpplazadelcarmen.com - which seems to have a funky feel and is showing good rates for a 4 star hotel. Again check reviews on Trip Advisor.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 12:32 AM

I would do a search for you rParis question and also other hotels here as you will be abel to read far more answers than you will get on this thread alone. Go to the search box above. If you do not find what yo want for Paris restaurants, repost a separate question for that .

I have stayed at the Maria Elena and it was very nice. Would not mind staying there again if the price were right.

Many people rave about the Hotel Plaza Mayor.

You may find some good deals at the AC Hotel chain which are now Marriotts.

The are a couple not far from Atocha.. an easy walk to the museums.I booked a friend this summer in the Carlton, and she really really liked it. I stay in this chain frequently and I can find nothing but good things as their prices are very competitive and the rooms modern and sleek with free mini bar.

I would stay away from Plaza del Sol area because it is a nightmare during NY's Eve many hours before and after.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 03:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There are lots of hotel reviews and other information about Madrid in Maribel's guide at www.maribelsguides.com
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Is maria Elana away from Plaza del Sol? I just want make sure, so that i am able to sleep on new years eve.

Thank you
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 10:57 AM

it's 200 away, according to their website. the good thing is you can access from the back side ( Gran via area) and not have to approach from the Puerta del Sol side that evening. See map.

(this map was on their website)

http://www.hotelmariaelenapalace.es/...na-madrid.html
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM

200 meters
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 11:28 AM

I really enjoyed the Hotel Vinci Soho, which is near Plaza Santa Anna. The area is great - Plaza Santa Ana has a lot of friendly restaurants and bars, the hotel is only a block off the plaza, easy walking distance to the Prado and other museums there, fairly quick to walk to Sol.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Book something, but keep an eye out in the fall because specials will arise, particularly on the hotel's own web page. We stayed at a 5 star hotel for about half its usual rate on Xmas eve a few years ago.
Be warned that most tourist sites will close for the holidays.It is very likely that museums will be closed the 24-26, then again at least the 31st and 1st, if not more.
As far as a restaurant in Paris, can your hotel help you find something open? Make reservations early.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

I have not contacted the hotel yet. I have contacted one restaurant in paris to make a reservation already.

I am having a hard time with picking a hotel in madrid. I want to be near the action but in a place that i do not have to worry about clubs or loud crowds while i sleep at night. I will wait for the fall to book a hotel for christmas time.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 09:34 PM

look at street view for mari elena.. I don't recall anything on that side street that would concern me.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 04:22 AM

It's very peaceful here in Chamberi with easy access into the city centre by Metro (Rios Rosas or Alonso Cano Metro stations). There's an NH hotel Breton just around the corner from where I am staying (with my daughter) which looks very nice.
www.nh-hotels.com/NHBreton
Plenty of small independent shops, bars and restaurants nearby too.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 04:44 AM

I and other family members have stayed at the Hotel Persal right off Santa Ana. Clean, modern.

The Room Mate mini-chain, somewhat hip
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 12:23 PM

Make a reservation within your budget, then around Dec. 1 check some of the better hotels for deals. We stayed at the Plaza at a significant cut rate Xmas eve a few years ago.