Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would be the best transport to see Sintra and the Estoril Coast ?

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello friends,

As I will have only one day to see Lisbon and its surroundings, thought of a crazy scheme. However, for it to work, I would have to choose my means of transportation very wisely. That´s why I am hoping someone who´s had the chance to visit Lisbon with more time to spare might be able to help me .

Since I will be arriving early in Lisbon (plane arrives at 5 am), my idea was to go to the hotel, leave my bags there and then go down to Sintra for a quick look around the town. I know I won´t be able to go into the castles or museums but that´s ok. My hope was to be able to use the trip down and back to have a glimpse of the Estoril Coast.

Would try to be back in Lisbon around noon so that I might have time to visit the area surrounding the Tower of Belém and maybe Alfama, before finishing off at the Oceanarium.

Would anybody have an idea of what would be the best way to do that? Would train be the best option? Then what would be the best station to go to? And back in Lisbon, what would be the best way to get around?

Thank you so much.

Aline
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Seat61.com always go with regional train like a local in Portugal cheap nice for price

Bus is not as nice a bit cheaper...
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Hello. Thank you so much for your help. Since you are being so nice, could I ask you another question? Do you think it would be a good idea to get a lisboa card?

Thanks

Aline
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:34 AM

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you've set yourself up for quite a challenge.

Let's say you get out of the airport and then your hotel by 6 am, go to the Cais do Sodre train station, get your ticket, trains leave every 20-30 min, get to Estoril by 7, then catch a bus or taxi for about 30 min drive to Sintra. If you get are there by 8, you'll catch a bus to get you into historic old town Sintra and the stores will not be open. You can have coffee and a bite and walk around the town. Then you have to catch the bus to get you back to the train station. The ride back to Lisbon is just under an hour.

This doesn't sound appealing to me at all. Is there some reason that you don't want to spend the entire day in Lisbon or just do either Estoril or Sintra?

Maybe some others will have a better outlook for your itinerary but I would recommend you spend the day in one location.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:23 AM

Lissabon-Estoril is not some scenic beach road. And with only one day I would definitely forget Sintra, too. Lissabon alone has enough to see for way more days than just one.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:28 AM

Sintra doesn't have much of a town - the highlights are the Palaces and other sights. Since the National Palace is in the main town you should spend an hour there. The Pena Palace is more spectacular but you definitely won't have time to do that.

Probably the only way to do what you want in a day is to get a car and driver.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi folks,

Thank you all, very much, for replying. Another friend also told me I would be better off just staying around Lisbon, so that's what I will do. Certainly plenty to see there. Sintra and Estoril will just have to wait.

You've been a great help!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:19 PM

You will enjoy your day. Good decision!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:19 PM

You will enjoy your day. Good decision!