Never been to Thailand

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never been to Thailand

We've decided to go to Laos in November and have booked five nights in Villa Maly in Luang Prabang. It looks as though we'll fly via Bangkok.
We have another 5 nights (one en route to Luang Prabang which will definitely be in Bangkok) and I'm looking at what to do with them. I see that you can fly from Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai.
Would this be similar to Laos so that it would make more sense to return for these nights to Bangkok?
How easy would it be to get from Chiang Rai back to Bangkok for our flight home?
Is there another part of Thailand which would be better for a first short visit but accessible within our return flight plans?
Finally having seen the Marriott (in Bangkok) recommended many times here, it doesn't seem that you can book it on Marriott rewards. Am I right?
I am only on the first day of looking at this so if you want to tell me to push off and do my own research I fully understand. To those of you who may be more patient with me (and may one day want information on Wales!)-Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 02:42 AM

I'd stay in Bangkok after Luang Prabang. It has lots to do and see plus great food.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 02:45 AM

www.sawadee.com good for general planning.

www.booking.com/region/th/phi-phi-slands.en.html

www.zeavola.com good flight connections simply magical for me.

Happy Planning,
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 02:48 AM

Betterbidding.com great hotel deals in BKK bidding priceline

usually pick up Amari Watergate Marriott etc from $50-55
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 04:16 AM

I second staying in Bangkok. You could easily fill 5 days. It would be very different from LP and you would have to transfer hotels only once.

Among the things to do in and around Bangkok depending on your interests-take a klong tour, see the Grand Palace, wats, Vienmik Palace, Prasart Museum, shop, go to the floating market , ect. I did a trip report on my trip to Thailand about 3 years ago. Click on my name if you are interested in reading about the details of what I have mentioned or take a look at a guidebook to see what interests you.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 07:34 AM

I agree that it makes the most sense to stay in Bangkok. Bangkok is an amazing city with so much to see and do.

qw likes priceline, but I prefer to choose the hotel where I am staying rather than letting Priceline choose. There are plenty of good hotel booking sites where you can get a great deal. For Thailand, I use www.sawasdee.com www.agodacom and www.asiarooms.com are also ones to look at. Read all the fine print, especially as to cancellation policies. Most of the booking sites include breakfast (worth $16-20 pp) and tax and service (17.7%).
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 08:21 AM

I just realized that your post says there is a flight from LP to Chiang Rai. I do not know of any such flight. There has been a flight from LP to Chiang Mai on Lao Air, and I assume that is what you are referring to. Chiang Mai is a huge, sprawling city. It would certainly be a contrast with LP, but not a a good way...
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM

the marriott is changing to another brand during nov, 2011. i have res for oct., so i know that works fine...

there are other marriotts. i suggest the marriott mayfair or the new rennaissance, both well located... the mayfair is fantastic and you will get an apartment. i love that neighborhood too.

do you have starwood points cause there are almost always good deals for cash and points...

i suggest bkk like the others have..
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM

I stayed in Villa Malay in October of last year. Excellent choice you have made. Lovely gardens around the pool. Delightful rooms, good food. The staff and owner were charming. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 09:03 PM

If you are the sit in a restaurant or hotel room type and want to be "taken" round and the only part of you that gets exercise is your credit card- then BKK.

If you haven't succumbed to the aches and pains of old age and still have a bit of energy, you might find Chiang Mai and its environs offers more to do and see.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:04 AM

Bangkok for sure! It's a terrific city for walking around, hopping on the skytrain, subway, or river taxi and finding all sorts of interesting neighborhoods, markets, food stalls (although, be very careful with street food). Ordinary life in Bangkok vs life in the tourist areas... very interesting! A klong tour (canal tour) would certainly be one of my top 10 on a first trip to Bangkok.

You will, for sure, have to be taken around in Chiang Mai. It is not that easy to walk to the sights, and public transit is all but nil there. You would need a taxi/driver to get you to Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, elephant rides, shopping 'towns' (BoSang and HangDong). Yes, you can wander around the central city, but not nearly as interesting IMO as Bangkok.

Bangkok gets my vote!
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:04 AM

Bangkok for sure! It's a terrific city for walking around, hopping on the skytrain, subway, or river taxi and finding all sorts of interesting neighborhoods, markets, food stalls (although, be very careful with street food). Ordinary life in Bangkok vs life in the tourist areas... very interesting! A klong tour (canal tour) would certainly be one of my top 10 on a first trip to Bangkok.

You will, for sure, have to be taken around in Chiang Mai. It is not that easy to walk to the sights, and public transit is all but nil there. You would need a taxi/driver to get you to Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, elephant rides, shopping 'towns' (BoSang and HangDong). Yes, you can wander around the central city, but not nearly as interesting IMO as Bangkok.

Bangkok gets my vote!
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Based on that overwhelming vote in favour of Bangkok we've now booked Bangkok to Luang Prabang return!
You are right Kathie- the flight is to Chiang Mai not Chiang Rai.
On looking at hotels in Bangkok they are all big. Does anyone know and recommend anywhere smaller with local character?
Many thanks
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 04:39 AM

The Sukhothai hotel does have some local characters in it's architecture but to be frank the only luxury hotel that was built on a Thai theme is the Dhara Dhevi or the Fours Seasons in Chiang Mai.

For Bangkok you will want a hotel which is close to a BTS station. Forget local character and go with ease of transportation.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Suk 11 have lots of character, but I'm sure it isn't on the list of must-stay places.

There are some smaller botique hotels/serviced apartments that are near to the skytrain (BTS) which would be a good choice in Bangkok.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM

davis hotel... eugenie B&B... new ibis hotel on the river...
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM

There are a few small places with lots of character, but mostly, they are very inconveniently located. You are better off choosing a hotel that is near the skytrain. Many of us love staying on the river, and take water taxis to places along the river, and hop the shuttle boat to the skytrain station.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 05:40 PM

We have stayed at the Davis. It's reasonably priced and we have had nice accommodations but the setting wasn't all that good, it's quite a walk to the BTS Station. If you are to be there while the Marriott Spa and Resort is still a Marriott (until Nov I believe) it is a very nice, relaxing and comfortable place to be. If you are there just a few days, you ought to be on the river. Can't explain it, but it's kind of magical, from morn 'til night - We also liked the Hilton (on the River) the views are great and it's worth the extra to stay on the Execuitve level for all the extras and goodies.
Enjoy, I'm envious.
Sue
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 07:16 PM

We stayed at the charming old Bangkok Inn last year.on our first visit to Bangkok in 2004 we stayed in a large hotel near the Nana station but the Bangkok Inn had more character.We like to walk and were able to walk to the Grand Palace and took the canal boat to the shopping area from the Inn.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 12:50 AM

Frances, for bkk hotels can suggest On8 Sukhumvit! which is just a few steps from the Nana BTS Skytrain, or Citrus 22 Sukhumvit. Whats ur budget like for hotels?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -