Road Trip Toronto, Cleveland, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a road trip in April. First stop the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Then onto Louisville and the Bourbon Trail for a few days, Nashville for a couple of days, Memphis for 3 days. We are retired so can be flexible with our time. Wanting to plan a different route home. Any ideas? We’d like to get back to Toronto within 3-4 days of leaving Memphis. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:23 AM

Assuming you are going through Niagara Falls coming down, a logical thing to do is loop back west of Lake Erie and re-enter Ontario at Windsor or Sarnia. If you do that:

I haven't been but famous in architecture circles is Columbus Indiana (not Ohio!). https://columbus.in.us/sgt-must-see-sites/

If you go north up the Mississippi River, Cahokia Mounds is sensational. The St Louis Arch is visible from the highest mound.

Continuing north the bluff country along the Mississippi is quite pretty but it doesn't start until about Dubuque Iowa so brings you pretty far north.

Between Cleveland and Tennessee is the free Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to venture into western Pennsylvania, you could visit the Flight 93 Memorial and/or Fallingwater. Have you ever visited Presque Isle State park in Erie PA?
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you planning on doing this trip after the border is open again?
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 10:03 AM

Cleveland Recommendations

As a Clevelander, I'd recommend definitely walking around downtown. There are lots of great places to check out near the water. I would also STRONGLY recommend checking out Mables BBQ for some of the best BBQ you'll have (even compared with our Southern friendly rivals . I would also check out the Cleveland metroparks while you're in the city. It's a hugely expansive piece of parkland for a more intimate kind of park you might not find in other places.