Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/)
-   -   Road trip from Seattle to San Diego (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/road-trip-from-seattle-to-san-diego-965464/)

DanielVeneziani Feb 3rd, 2013 08:00 AM

Road trip from Seattle to San Diego

My wife and I are Brazilians, in the early 30's, and we are going on a road trip starting Feb 20th from Seattle to San Diego. We have 12 days to do the trip and we are wondering what are the must see places and must do things on Highway 101, the cities near by and places and near the highway. Anything more than a 3 hour drive out and away from the hwy 101, we would try to avoid.

If someone has any tips that could give us, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan & Gabi

happytrailstoyou Feb 3rd, 2013 09:09 AM

My choices would be Portland, Columbia River Gorge, Oregon Coast from Cannon Beach to Brookings, the Redwoods, Napa and Sonoma Valley, San Francisco, Highway 1 from San Francisco to Santa Monica (Carmel, Big Sur, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara), Los Angeles, Orange County beach towns, San Diego.

HTtY

Tomsd Feb 3rd, 2013 12:11 PM

That's a very good list/approach. Have to go watch the rest of golf today and then the Super Bowl - but will add a few ideas tomorrow. :)

During your time in Seattle - you might consider taking the ferry over to Victoria, on the island of British Columbia.

PaulRabe Feb 3rd, 2013 01:02 PM

> what are the must see places and must do things on Highway 101

Unless you can specify WHAT you are hoping to experience during this 1450-mile, twelve-day journey, nobody can tell you anything of any use. Things WE may find fascinating, you would find utterly boring; and vice-versa.

Also, weather in February on the Pacific Coast, particularly in the northwest, can be iffy -- if a major storm comes through, a road that would have been nice for driving in August could suddenly become treacherous. Be prepared to leave Highway 101, not because there's no attractions, but because there's no road!

I should mention that I myself could easily spend twelve days visiting only the Seattle area, or only the coast of Oregon and northern California, or only the Bay Area, or only the Los Angeles / Orange County region, or even only the area south of there. You're going to have to skip a LOT of good things along the way, so tell us what YOU want to see.

Bobmrg Feb 3rd, 2013 01:07 PM

Tomsd...surely you meant Victoria ON Vancouver Island, a PART OF British Columbia.

ssaanndd Jun 27th, 2013 11:57 PM

Hi,
I'm considering doing this trip from Portland to San Diego, starting on 23rd or 24th of September.

--> How long do you think I need at least to drive all the way down to San Diego, stopping to take some photos on scenery views.
--> what are the "must see" things on the way dow to San Diego ?

No stop to San Francisco since I'll be visiting the city before arriving in Seattle.

I'd like to be in San Diego on 29th/30th September the latest, do you think it's good enough to make it and enjoying the view on this trip ?

ssaanndd Jun 27th, 2013 11:59 PM

I meant - I'll be visiting San Francisco, Seattle and Portland before 23/ 24th of September which is the date I'm considering leaving Portland ;)