Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

ROAD TRIP!! cool things to do & see on the way to Florida from DC (95)

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:00 AM
beth anderson

hi all

heading to Edgewater (north of Cape Canaveral, south of Daytona) area from DC.

anyone know of any nifty things along this 800-900+ mile stretch?

I don't want to search, just, a good place to stop here & there along the way to stretch my legs. Why stop at McDs to have a pit stop, when you could stop 10 miles up and have a pretty park to walk in.

thanks!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Merilee

Hi Beth...it's been a few years since I've driven from NYC to Florida, but I did a few times...I don't remember anything worth mentioning as far as easy on/easy off along I-95...South of the Border (tourist trap) is in South Carolina...the billboards leading up to it line the highway for hundreds of miles before in anticipation of it...I think it's "cheesy" and tacky, but funny in its own way...it's also a good way to get out of the car and stretch and walk...besides, you may find that perfect gift for the person in your life who has everything except a two ton faux porcelain elephant statue with an imitation ruby headdress...anyway, I didn't venture off the first town at the exits to explore...you'll pass outlet malls in North Carolina...if you get off the highway in North Carolina you'll also see men selling couches and chairs on the side of the road...there are places in South Carolina and Georgia if you look off to the right and left that could be interesting...I remember driving over the Little Pee Dee and the Big Dee Rivers in South Carolina (I think, or Georgia)...the kids loved that...the first town in Florida is Yulee if you need another break by then...gas station, etc...you could stop in St. Augustine for awhile...I liked it but I felt they nickeled and dimed you to death to see anything...it does offer a pretty view, though, especially from the fort...I hope this helps a little and maybe someone else out there found time to see things I missed.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Stephanie P.

I'd look up: roadsideamerica.com. I have also heard that South of the Border is a fun place to go. I don't know if it is off I-95 though. It is located around the border of North and South Carolina. It's supposedly cheesy but fun.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 08:11 AM
E.

I've done this drive at least 3 times, and would kill to know the answer(s) to your question, Beth, as I've always just resigned myself to boredom and radio-station surfing. My idea of excitement on I-95 is to find, say, a Popeyes, to break the monotony of McD's, that's how sad it gets!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:34 AM
pedro

Note: South of the Border is in fact about 500 yards from I-95. However, why anyone would want to stop there is beyond me.

Good things to do near I-95? Let me know when you find one.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:13 AM
rick

Try getting off around Charleston, and take a tour of the Magnolia Plantation just outside of town. You'll have a chance to stretch your legs, and it is an enjoyable place.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:16 AM
rick

Sorry, I checked a map and didn't realize how far off of 95 Charleston was. I'd recommend timing it so you are hungry when you hit Savannah. Take a couple ours and find a nice, southern place to eat in the historic downtown.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:20 AM
chuck

beth,

slim pickins, as folks near the afore-mentioned Little Pee Dee and Great Pee Dee rivers would say. However, I seem to recall an old thread about some great barbecue places in and around Rocky Mount. I searched NC and barbecue but could not find anything.

Come on all of you down east, vinegar-based BBQ-loving North Carolinians. Tell Beth where to find some good eastern style BBQ near Rocky Mount.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:48 AM
DLt

Ralph's bar-b-que, in NC about 20 miles south of Va. just off I 95 to the left. Watch for the billboard - there's only one. Also, a good time to stock up on discount WDW tickets.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:59 AM
CF

When I drive 95, my main concern is arriving at my destination alive!

There is an interesting book out called The Next Exit. It covers all the interstates and lists exactly what there is at each exit, be it food, gas, lodging or attractions. I bought mine at Camping World.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Stephanie P.

Pedro:

Your obviously negative. A short trip to the South of the Border to me would be enjoyable. It's tacky but has a gift shop, restaurant and some other stuff to do there. Why not, after driving for 2-4 hrs.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 11:29 AM
beth anderson

thanks everyone!

as luck would have it, I have found out a bit of my itinerary, anyway.

My parents are taking 2-3 weeks to meander there, & back - I am just tagging along separately. we WERE going to meet in FL - arrive separately. but it seems that we actually can caravan it.

We'll be meeting in the Raleigh area first to visit friends for a day or so, then, Charleston (probably) and then St. Augustine. Last stop the beach!

Once we are there, who knows what we are doing.

thanks for the input, I will report back if I find anything special!

Beth

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 12:50 PM
pedro

I'm loving Stephanie's response about my "negative" post re South of the Border:
"A short trip to the South of the Border to me would be enjoyable. It's tacky..."

Ya know, I always wondered what type of people stopped there. Now I know.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Stephanie P.

Pedro:

I've never been to South of the Border but would do so if I were in the area. Unlike you, who thinks they are superior to others classwise (and your probably fooling yourself), I would like to see something that's fun to laugh at, and not too far off the beaten path. It must be terrible to be miserable all the time.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:17 PM
beth anderson

thanks, everyone! you are making me hungry.

I will report back, truly...

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:26 AM
NeverBeen?

Stephanie: Let me see if I understand this correctly? You, who has never been to South of the Border; are unsure of where it is located; suggest it to someone;.... and Pedro, who appears to have been there, states it is not somewhere he would recommend. You respond he is negative????? How do you know? This site is all about "opinions", but please, allow those who actually have an opinion based on FACT to state them, and not be subjected to your responses, attacking them as negative. Of course his opinion is negative, he has actually BEEN there! If you had ever really been to South of The Border, you, like many who HAVE been there, might respond in the negative as well.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:59 AM
Mitch

This is for the poster who said it is a good time to stock up on discount WDW tickets, near Ralph's Bar-b-Q??

Can you give me more specifics about where to find these discount tickets? And do you know the cost of these tickets?

Thanks!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:20 AM
Deb

Hi Beth,

While in Raleigh, you definitely need to try some southern food, and get a taste of regional flavor. A good place for breakfast or lunch is Big Ed's...it is in the City Market area in downtown Raleigh. It is only open for breakfast and lunch-Not open on Sundays-and only takes cash. You will not leave Big Ed's hungry-they give you plenty of food. Right up the road from there is another good lunch place-Clyde Cooper's barbecue-Not sure of the hours. Another must do-go to the farmer's market-it's open every day of the week. There are plenty of fresh veggies and fruits, baked goods, and there is also a seafood restaurant that has "Calabash" (fried) style seafood.

I do have to comment on one post...Merilee, what's with the post about men selling couches on the side of the road? I'm not trying to be mean, but I did not know that that was a "cool" or exciting thing to see on a roadtrip.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:08 AM
Merilee

Hi Deb...I never used the word "cool" in conjuction with the statement about seeing men selling couches and chairs on the side of the road...or anything on I-95 for that matter...I was merely stating a fact and sharing some travel experiences.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:48 AM
pedro

Stephanie's a real trip. Of course I'm miserable -- I once stopped at South of the Border, and that'll spoil anyone's day.

By the way, Steph, while you're at SOB, pick up a book that shows you how to spell "you're."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -