Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/)
-   -   Road trip: Chicago to Atlanta (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/road-trip-chicago-to-atlanta-997214/)

klee1031 Nov 7th, 2013 06:40 PM

Road trip: Chicago to Atlanta

Hey all,

My boyfriend and I are planning a roadtrip from Chicago to Atlanta this May. I'm wondering any tips/advice and any pointers for cities/attractions/events along the way. We have a place to stay in Atlanta and will probably be there for a week or so, and if money permits we want to hit up the Carolina's before we head home. So far we know we want to go to Springfield, IL and Memphis.

thanks!

aina Nov 8th, 2013 01:39 AM

HI,

As you mentioned in above post that you guys are interested to tour these cities well in my opinion its better to plan your tour from the very first day. it helps you to save your journey time and gives you more extra time to explore and relax .... so its better to find some places to visit and on the other hand its good to rent some airport Limousine service because they have the best routes of the town or you can Rent a Party Bus or also Rent a van. i hop my suggestions are very helpful to you.

Best of luck for your trip and everything in your life .... :)

Gretchen Nov 8th, 2013 02:53 AM

You don't say how long total you have to do this which would really help.
I might suggest you decide if you want to visit Alabama OR the Carolinas--I'd suggest the Carolinas. But unless you have a LOT of time, I don't think you can do it all.

fables Feb 21st, 2014 06:29 PM

It would be a shame to be that close and not go to Savannah. The spanish moss, the parks, Bonaventure Cemetery, historic homes. One of my favorite cities in the south.

Gretchen Aug 11th, 2014 05:33 AM

I guess since this is more than a year ago, they got to wherever they decided to go--and never came back here.

starrs Aug 13th, 2014 03:45 AM

emmabail seems to be a new poster promoting her website.

starrs Aug 13th, 2014 04:39 AM

emmabail - using Emma Watson's photo - is spamming this site with her website. But at second glance, it's a pretty entertaining website. Here's her advice re Atlanta -

Being in the south, Atlanta is a much cooler than other cities in the region. Winter temperatures can drop to single digits; and snowfalls are rare but not unexpected. Summers can be humid and hot, and temperatures constantly reach 32-degrees Celsius. If you are visiting, try between May and August – the city comes alive in spring and summer. If you would like to save money, be sure to visit in winter when hotel prices decrease.

starrs Aug 13th, 2014 04:40 AM

More -
Do's :
•It is important to say ‘Hi’ when you meet someone. A handshake, a hug or a nod is not necessary unless they do so.
•Do maintain a good eye contact while shaking hands. Americans are very particular about this.
•An appointment should be taken while visiting someone
•Do get a small gift for someone you are going to meet.
•Try and avoid taboo topics like suicide, polygamy, abortion, race, religion etc.
•When you are going to a restaurant, do wait in front of the door, till the waiter leads you.

starrs Aug 13th, 2014 04:41 AM

Don’ts :
•Don’t ask personal things like income or assets to anyone.
•Don’t give white lilies as gifts
•Don’t remove your shoes when you go somewhere. It is considered to be a sign of disrespect.
•Don’t smoke in front of others without permission.
•Don’t use much make up in public
•Don’t forget greeting children.
•Don’t ask for toothpicks in any restaurant.

starrs Aug 13th, 2014 04:42 AM

Atlanta is much cooler than other cities in the region? Really?

Americans are "very particular" about good eye contact while shaking hands.

Don't give white lilies.

What interesting travel advice for Atlanta. ;)

suewoo Aug 13th, 2014 11:52 AM

Do not wear white after Labor Day!

dwdvagamundo Aug 14th, 2014 09:32 AM

starrs--

I'm sure you meant "cooler" in the sense of "better" or "more trendy" or something.

starrs Aug 14th, 2014 10:16 AM

Those weren't my words. They were from the spammer's website ;)

Gretchen Aug 14th, 2014 12:58 PM

That is hilarious. And I am assuming that English is not Emma's first language!! Or she needs to get a GED!!

Sue, I thought so at first also--but it's all about temperature!!

dwdvagamundo Aug 15th, 2014 08:46 AM

starrs--I was unsure. Didn't see the original offending and now deleted comment.

starrs Aug 15th, 2014 10:41 AM

<I>emmabail - using Emma Watson's photo - is spamming this site with her website. But at second glance, it's a pretty entertaining website. Here's her advice re Atlanta -

Being in the south, Atlanta is a much cooler than other cities in the region. Winter temperatures can drop to single digits; and snowfalls are rare but not unexpected....

</I>I'm pretty sure she was talking about temps, not better or more trendy.

The next two posts were from her website too. I love the white lily comment. ;)

dwdvagamundo Aug 15th, 2014 11:56 AM

If she was talking about temps, she hasn't been to Atlanta. Compared to Florida, Atlanta has cooler temps, it's true. Compared to other cities in our geographic area, it's not.

In any event, my comment was tongue in cheek.

starrs Aug 15th, 2014 06:33 PM

I doubt very seriously that the person who wrote that has ever been to Atlanta.
I wouldn't bet momey they've ever been to the US.
It was a spammer. Several posts promoting a website and they are gone.

starrs Aug 15th, 2014 06:34 PM

The website gets 300 hits a day so I doubt much damage is done :)