Northern California Coast & Oregon Coast - Family Road Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling by car in late November from Santa Cruz, CA to Gualala and Eureka Ca then traveling along the Oregon Coast, to Bandon OR, then off to Portland for Thanksgiving.

What are some special towns to visit and stay north of Fort Ross. My primary concern is whether it is possible to travel safely along the coast to Shelter Cove, Capetown and Ferndale on the way to Eureka (rather than take H1 to H101 at Leggett).

Any tips for places to stay in Eureka around $100 to $150 per night.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM

I believe you can drive via Sinkyone Wilderness State Park (I took the southern route into the park a couple years ago and I know there's a way to come in from the north) but at least the southern route is a very narrow unpaved one lane road. I would not think of attempting it in bad (rainy) weather, and that's likely what you'll have in late November.

The safer route would be to go via 1 to 101 then take the Lost Coast drive from near Founders Grove on Avenue of the Giants.

When I did this drive RT from Seattle, I stayed in Trinidad on the way down and Eureka on the way back up...and I *much* preferred Trinidad.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Are you staying here in Gualala? We're a special place to visit!

You could also visit the lighthouse in Point Arena, stop in Elk for lunch and visit the quaint town of Mendocino.

As far as I know, you have to go inland to Hwy. 101 at Leggett - there is no thru traffic on the Lost Coast.

Lisa
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Me again. The inexpensive hotel I've heard the best things about in Eureka is the Red Lion Inn. Rates start at about $95 but may be less that time of year.

Lisa
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great responses.

We are planning on spending a night in Gualala and will now consider a stay in Trinidad rather than Eureka. Gualalalisa -What are some nice spots to stay in town with room for kids (e.g. suite or adjoining rooms) I can be flexible on the rates if its a nice spot.

NWWanderer - how long did it take you to travel Lost Coast drive from near Founders Grove on Avenue of the Giants from Eureka to 101?
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 07:37 AM

I can't remember exactly, but I'd say maybe 2 hours tops. I know I left the Benbow Inn after breakfast that morning, hiked the Founders Grove Trail and was in Ferndale in time for a late lunch.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Try the Gualala Country Inn, nice and very reasonable - 707-884-4343.

Also, the Seacliff, very nice with river/ocean views - 707-884-1213.

Just north (6 miles) in Anchor Bay (considered part of Gualala) there is the Mar Vista Cottages, very reasonable with an organic garden that guests can use. Old-fashioned cottages with front porches and views.

In Point Arena, 13 miles north of Gualala, you can rent a large house at the historic lighthouse - 707-882-2777. This would be great for kids and houses come fully equipped with several bedrooms. They are right by the lighthouse on the bluffs overlooking the ocean with spectacular views.

Let me know if I can be of any more help!

Lisa