Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

I am confused about car lease vs car rental for France/Spain road trip.

Notices

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am investigating renting a car for our trip around Southern France and Northern Spain in July.

An option that I considered was to lease the car through the Peugot buyback scheme offered by Autoeeurop since we will be using the car for 19 days. It will be cheaper. However my husband is concerned about the insurance on this. How is it different to just renting a car? If we had an accident (I don't want to put the mockers on the trip BUT...) would we be covered to the same level as if we just took the normal rental?

We have rented succesfully before in Italy but have never used the lease scheme.

Any advise or expereince would be helpful please.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM

You are fully insured with no deductible--if memory serves me right--with the lease program. Be aware that both leasing and rental programs charge cross-border fees when dropping the car off in a different country. The only potential negative is that you have in essence purchased the car with all the paperwork that it entails so that if the car breaks down, a replacement is not available. The plus is that you get a brand-new car and you get what you ordered, whereas a rental might be an equivalent model.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM

Received 53 Likes on 4 Posts
The "buy-back" schemes like Autoeurope or Renault Eurodrive (www.renaultusa.com) have full insurance with no deductible. In general they're much better deals - and with better insurance coverages - than "ordinary" rentals.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you I feel much better now.
I know about the cross border drop off fees. Hopefully a new car won't break down??!

Anyone have any contradictory information?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM

As a US resident, a 19 day smallest standard shift car rental from Kemwel will be about US$200 less than a lease (buy back) if I carry the CDW on my credit card. However, that option might not be available to you. The dates I plugged in were obviously fictitious, but that has been the savings that I obtained in the last years. If you insist on an automatic, it appears from reports by others that the savings disappears.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:36 PM

Hello aussiefive, we recently did a Citroen lease in France and I would highly recommend it. If it does breakdown they will fix you up with replacement or repair (dependent on where and how long the repairs will take etc..)ask about this if you are concerned. We found Citroen suited our purposes better and we leased a Grand Picasso with GPS, DVD screens back of seats (never used, too much else to look at but good for young ones)etc. and it was gorgeous!

If you can, go and check out the car in Australia, we did this and were very glad we did as we picked the car up from the Citroen dealer in Toulon who literally spoke no English! We got by, but were glad we had familiarised ourselves in Oz. Another plus is there is no second driver fee ( payable with some rentals, and I think no age restrictions?)

We found the whole experience very hassle free and would do again.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:40 AM

I did the Kemwel (AutoEurope) lease. The only way to go. You are VIP treated. 100% insurance coverage..don't worry about filling car up for return. I was for shorter than normal rental period..rent it for the minium and turn it in early!. It was less exoensive than a rental, for what I would rent, automatic with CDW.

The two countries is always a cost problem, renting or leasing.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
ira

Hi All,

I went to Kemwel's site and checked out the lease program compared to the regular rental rate for a 20-day trip out of Strasbourg and into Lyon.

The minimum lease for an economy, instead of a compact, was $300 more than the rental + I have to pick up and drop off at the airports instead of the train stations.

Leasing is NOT always the way to go.

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:05 AM

You need to do careful comparisons. As ira points out, leasing is not always the better deal (though in many cases it is). But don't worry about the insurance issue - you'll be covered in any event. I had a Peugot leased car once that was just a total lemon. It ate up two days of my vacation time, but the problems with it were handled expertly and efficiently and I ended up with another equivalent car.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM

All you can do is gather information and then make the choice that you feel is best for you, as with anything.

I only know that my Kemwel lease experience was cheaper to lease than to rent. I rent automatic with CDW and naturally compared those prices. I would definitely do the same, if prices compared in the same way.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:01 AM

I am a fan of the buy back program, but you do need to compare closely.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM

Leasing is not as advantageous an alternative to renting as it once was. In many cases it is an all too costly option with the added disadvantage of driving an automobile with bright red license plates labeling you as a tourist and an easy target for vandals who break into these cars looking for cash, cameras and other easily sold merchandise.

Many US bank cards automatically cover collision and other insurance when rentals are made using their cards. Different cards have differing lengths of coverage. It is this coverage limit that can make leasing a more attractive alternative when usage requirements exceed the 28 day credit card insurance coverage (some cards cover shorter periods). And for those comparing lease/rent costs including the CDW expense, check the deductibles. Declining the rental company's CDW coverage and using your free credit card CDW will make renting a great deal more attractive with no loss of protection. If you do have a problem and really need collision coverage, dealing with the credit card insurance people in the US is much simpler than dealing with a foreign company.

For periods within the credit card coverage limit, I have found few recent scenarios (actually I have seen no such scenarios) where leasing is financially preferable. Of course I really do not care if the car I drive has no mileage or 5,000 miles on the odometer when I pick it up. Nor will drivers of lease cars be the only ones rescued in the event of a mechanical breakdown leaving those who rented to work on their cars themselves. In the unlikely event of a problem, either way there are numbers to call and assistance to be had.

I have both leased and rented automobiles countless times. The better choice is the one which you have thoroughly evaluated on its individual merits, not the one with perceived advantages.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM

And to add more to the issue: Economy Rentals (https://www.economycarrentals.com/), which I used with no problems in Turkey, is cheaper than Kemwel's base rate while including CDW coverage and no deductible, which eliminates the credit card coverage issue. Sarastro sums up the alternatives quite well.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM

I'm not sure where the idea came from that if your lease car breaks down there is no replacement. Our brand new car was delivered in Nice with a windshield that got cracked when they unloaded it. We took it in and left it the next day for replacement of the glass (only a very minor inconvenience to us), but later when I mentioned it, I was told I could have easily just said I needed a new car and they would have provided one. We did several of those leases -- always Peugeots through Auto France and it couldn't have been easier or better.

I've always been amused about the concern of thieves knowing you have a lease car and making you a target. I don't kid myself. No thief watching me park and get out of ANY car in Europe would suspect I'm a local.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM

I'm not sure where the idea came from that if your lease car breaks down there is no replacement.

That is what I was told a long time ago. It makes sense, since the car is purchased from Peugeot or Renault, and unlike a rental agency, the local dealership might not have a substitute readily available. Even if a loaner is provided, it must be returned to the same place once your car is fixed, which may not have been in your travel plans. But if others have heard differently, the person going into such an agreement might want to confirm the policy with Peugeot and Renault, as that would be out of the hands of Autoeurope or Kemwel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM

Well, you really aren't dealing directly with Peugeot so I'm not sure why you'd call them to find out. With AutoFrance Peugeot lease systems it was with a company called Sodexa (?), not sure if that's still true. The agency you are doing the lease through is the one that would provide a new car.

But you are right that you should check it out with the agency that your contract is through. I always did and was reassured that we would get a new car (and not have to return it other than to where our original contract stated).
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM

I believe that Sodexa is a branch of Peugeot, and its main office is in the Peugeot distribution center in Nanterre, where I picked up and returned my lease when doing so in Paris.

When I did have a repair problem with my leased Peugeot, the Peugeot garage in France could not help me because it would have taken three days to get the part, and the dealership/garage in San Sebastian had to arrange for the part to be shipped from France to Barcelona so that I would not have to wait in San Sebastian for the part to arrive. This was an unusual problem, but the point is that Sodexa was not involved in any of this.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I am convinced at least that I have equivalent insurance. I will definitely check if we are entitled to a replacement car in th event of a problem.

It seems I need to get the spreadsheet out and do some careful cost comparisons though.

Thank you all for your advice. As always priceless.

Aussie
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM

Michael, sorry to seem to make an issue of this, but my point is that yes, if you take the "ailing" car to Peugeot they will attempt to fix it as you found out. But if you don't want to do that -- or if there is a time or destination problem, I was told to call Sodexa (or AutoFrance) and they supplied me with the number to call and THEY would arrange for a replacement car. That's all I was saying.

I did as you did -- I took the car to Peugeot and had the repair done -- but AutoFrance made clear to me that if it was going to be an inconvenience or delay our trip that we COULD have called THEM and just gotten a replacement car. No, of course the people at the Peugeot shop wouldn't replace the car or give us a loaner for the duration of the contract, though.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM

Hi, we are from New Zealand and for our last 5 trips to Europe we have leased a Peugeot through peugeoteurolease.co.nz who deal directly with Sodexa in Paris.

The system is brilliant, brand new car, full insurance, no extras, 24 hour breakdown etc. We did have an ongoing problem with a 307 a few years back whilst we were in the UK, a call to Paris and the car was repaired within a few hours. However the same problem occurred a few days later so the car was replaced which took 24 hours. Fortunately this did not interrupt our travel plans but we were more than happy when we returned home to NZ to find a 7 day refund from Sodexa and a letter of apology.

We have found the longer the lease period that it is cheaper than rental, take a look at www.eurolease.com.au/peugeot for specials, if booking is made before 31st March 2009 you get 7 free days and a 50% reduction on pickup/dropoff fees if applicable. I guess you know that all pickup/dropoff points in France are free.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO