CA Road Trip - Yosemite, LT, SF, Hwy 1 to LA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to put together a semi-last-minute road trip in CA (Mid Nov). We’re a family of four (kids are 5, 8), from FL. Plan to fly in to LA or preferably Fresno.

Leg 1 (Days 1-3): Sequoia Nat’l Park/Kings Canyon, Yosemite for 3 days.
Leg 2 (Days 4-5): Lake Tahoe, stay 2 days.
Leg 3 (Day 6-8): San Francisco. 2-3 days.
Leg 4 (Day 9-11): Hwy 1 to LA, 3 days, not sure of where overnight stops will be along the way

Is this a pretty standard road trip? Trying to keep drive times under 5 hours at a time between destinations for the kids. Although those scenic drives are a big reason for this trip, coming from a family from completely flat Florida.

Is there enough time for all this? Would you add or subtract anything from this plan? What do I need to know for this time of year?
Just looking for any general tips or advice on anything I may not be considering or thinking of!
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 07:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Is this a pretty standard road trip?<<. Not 'standard' but pretty common.

Question -- why Tahoe instead of Yosemite? Since it seems your flights are not yet booked and if it was me . . . I'd fly in to SFO, see the city then > Monterey/Carmel > Yosemite > Sequoia/KC > LA. Fly home from LAX. This would be a rushed but quite doable 11 days with no exceedingly long drives

It is very late to find lodging in Yosemite Valley, but on weekdays in November you might luck out. If not book a Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal -- by far the closest decent hotel. Or try for a condo/cabin in Yosemite West. Any other era (including some IN the park) wlil be an hour of more drive from the Valley.

*Seq/Kings Canyon would be a 6 to nearly 7 hour drive to Tahoe depending on which part of the lake - and that is only if there is no snow.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
>>

Question -- why Tahoe instead of Yosemite?
We are planning on flying in and doing nothing but getting the car situated and a hotel anywhere to start and I didn't mention that. Then the next day (our first real day), leaving early and going to SNP for the day. Then Yosemite for 2 days. LT for 2 days, SF for 2 days (I know I said 3 in the original post but decided to cut it to 2 and add that day to Hwy 1), Hwy 1 for 3 days. Leave the next day.

So, we are doing Yosemite. Might even move some things around and try and get another day there.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 09:59 AM
J62

Be aware that the Tioga pass road over the Sierras usually closes for the winter sometime in mid Nov, and occasionally as early as October so you may need to take an alternate, longer route. The closing date depends on snowfall and can happen at any time with little notice.

Historical closing dates are here.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 10:12 AM

You left Yosemite out of your original post. Hard to give realistic/useful advice when major details are omitted.

OK -- I'd STILL omit Lake Tahoe (and I love Tahoe and in fact am driving up for a few days later today). With the weather and likelihood of Tioga being closed it just isn't worth taking time from other places.

Where are you booked for Yosemite?
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 11:32 AM

I agree with dropping Lake Tahoe, it is beautiful but takes time to get to (and there could be snow). Also it gets dark early that time of year and you do NOT want to be driving Highway 1 in the dark.
For overnight stops I would do 2 nights Monterey and 1 night Pismo Beach or maybe Morro Bay. Or Monterey 1 night, Pismo 1 night and Santa Barbara 1 night.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 11:57 AM

OOPS I see you DID mention Yosemite in the first post - sorry.

It was a little confusing where you planned your nights.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 03:25 PM

Since you are going to Sequoia first, another place to stay (the night before Yosemite) is between Oakhurst and Mariposa Grove along 41. A lot of people from SoCal do this, but the people who dominate Fodor's are from the north. Visit Mariposa Grove and Glacier Point on the way into the Valley the next day,assuming the road is open, and book a place in Yosemite Valley (even if it's Camp Curry aka Curry Village) for the next two nights.

For your stops between SF and LA I like Pacific Grove and Morro Bay.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 08:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Another airport to consider flying into or out of besides LAX or FAT is Sacramento (SMF). SMF has easy access to I-5 and I-80 with all of your desired stays within a 6 hour drive.