Alps road trip instead of Milan

Old Mar 1st, 2020, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alps road trip instead of Milan

My wife, our 10 month old, myself and my mother in law made plans a long time ago to spend 2 days in Milan (March 11-13). With the coronavirus Milan quarantines and shutdowns of many things there we are planning a 2 day roadtrip Im the Alps instead.
Does anyone have a suggestion on a 2-day itinerary for this? Any must see sites, restaurants and/or hotels? We were thinking of going to jungfraujoch but have heard mixed reviews. Is it worth it? Any other sites that anyone would recommend.
ideally wed like to spend no more than 8 hours driving in total (over the 2 days were there).

Thanks so much in advance!
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 06:17 AM

Where will you come from?
Where will you go afterwords?
Where will you start resp. end your alpine journey?
What are your interests?
Do you want to travel by car (forget Jungfraujoch in this case!) or by public transport?
According to the Swiss weather forecast, the weather should be rather sunny and warm for the season (up to 10 degrees Fahrenheit at Jungfraujoch) between March 11th-13th. But note that the probability of forecasts for more than a week is very low.
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the response neckervd, much appreciated! We fly into Milan from Paris on the 11th, then to Lisbon from Milan on the 13th. We will rent the car at the Milan airport. Being that we had intended on staying in the city of Milan but have now decided against that we have a blank canvas in terms of where we can go. I went to Chamonix about 10 years ago in March and loved it, would like to explore another breathtaking area/place this time. In terms of Jungfraujoch, my thought was to drive the rental car and park it, then take a train. I was hoping to drive as close as possible (to where we can start by train to ascend to Jungfraujoch). Maybe this isn't a possibility?
As far as our interests; breathtaking views and some authentic restaurants!
The 2 day road trip would end where it began; in Milan.

Thanks again so much!
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 07:47 PM

I think you should be headed to Bellagio as it is considered as one of the most beautiful lake towns of Italy. Located by a peninsula that divides Lake Como into two, This town boasts of sprawling gardens, vintage churches, shops, and restaurants,
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 08:36 PM
kja

No reason for a car in Switzerland -- public transporation is conformtable and convenient. Does your driver really want to miss the views? Check the Swiss rail website:
https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by kja View Post
Does your driver really want to miss the views?
Have you ever experienced the joy of driving in the mountains? Getting out of the car where and when you want?

Last edited by Moderator1; Mar 2nd, 2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: offensive language
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 11:54 PM
kja

@ MyriamC: Yes, I've driven in mountains. I prefer to ride in a train, with a glass of wine, and the option to get off the train where and when I want.

Last edited by Moderator1; Mar 2nd, 2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: reference to a deleted comment
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 12:20 AM

If you arrive at MXP airport and have less than 3 full days,, you best rent a car with winter tyres and drive over the Simplon Pass to Brig. The Pass road should be free of snow, but may be not other roads within Switzerland.
From Brig, you may:
dirve to Fiesch and go by gondola to Eggishorn, with views over the whole Aletsch Glacier,
drive to Saas Fee and go by rope railway to the revolving glacier restgaurant Mittelallalin,
drive to Saas Grund and go by gondola to Hohsaas,
drive to Taesch and go by train via Zermatt to Gornergrat, Or go by gondola from Zermatt to Matterhorn Paradise.
drive to Leukerbad thermal spa and go by gondola to Rinderhuette or Gemmipass,
drive down to Lake Geneva and visit the castle of Sion, the Roman Theatre and the museums at Martigny, the Chillon Castle, Montreux and the Lavaux vineyards en route.
Once at Montreux, you might continue via Gruyeres castle - Bern- Lucerne (visits!) and through the Gotthard road tunnel to Bellinzona - Lugano - Como - Malpensa airport.

For Jungfraujoch, you would have to drive to Grindelwald (about 2 hrs from Brig OW) by using the car shuttle trains between Goppenstein and Kandersteg. The train fare from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch and back would cost 200 USD/pax.
Once at Grindelwald, you might continue via Bern or Lucerne (visits!) and through he Gotthard road tunnel to Bellinzona - Lugano - Como - Malpensa airport.

Train rides from Milan Malpensa airport to Switzerland are actually difficult because of works along the railway line.
There ar actually only 2 really good train connections:
Gallarate dp 7.54 - Brig ar 9.16 - Bern ar 10.24 - Basel and Zurich ar 11.30
Gallarate dp 19.54 - Brig ar 21.16 - Bern ar 22.24 - Basel and Zurich ar 23.30
Gallarate railway station is 20 by taxi from Milan Malpensa airport.
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 12:52 AM

@ MyriamC: No need to be offensive. Yes, I've driven in mountains. I prefer to ride in a train, with a glass of wine, and the option to get off the train where and when I want.
It's no use suggesting the train to someone who would like to make a ROADTRIP, like TS.
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 02:16 AM

If you follow neckervd's advice, consider stopping in Brig itself for a look around (the Stockalper Palace is cool with its onion domed spires) and lunch at Hotel Ambassador--either the casual restaurant or a splurge at their terrific Cheminots, main dining room. Recommend the marrow-bones and oxtails--terrific, if you enjoy that kind of food.
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, this is very helpful. Considering that we'd ideally like to drive no more than 8 hours it looks like we'll be taking this route:
Linate airport - Como - Lavertezzo (I look forward to seeing Ponte Dei Salti and those super clear waters) - Lauterbrunnen, then head to Malpensa airport via Brig.
Any suggested must see stops along this way??
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 06:11 PM
kja

Lavertezzo is beautiful, and there's a nice walk through that valley. It's near enough to both Lugano and Locarno to make visiting either a decent option. Bellinzona and its castles are nearby.
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Any suggestions for great stops between Bellinzona and Lauterbrunnen?
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 08:35 AM

"Thank you all, this is very helpful. Considering that we'd ideally like to drive no more than 8 hours it looks like we'll be taking this route:
Linate airport - Como - Lavertezzo (I look forward to seeing Ponte Dei Salti and those super clear waters) - Lauterbrunnen, then head to Malpensa airport via Brig".

I suppose you know that with that itinerary, you would have to drive at least 3times more (for seeing less) than I suggested in the first 8 lines of paragraphe 1 in my post 8.
The easiest way from Lavertezzo to Lauterbrunnen goes along the motorway via Lake Lucerne (150 miles, most of them along the Gotthard motorway with almost nothing but trucks in transit from Italy to Germany). Count about 4 hrs. The first leg (mountain road to Lavertezzo) is small and twisting.
Linate - Lavertezzo is a 100 miles drive, may be a bit more if you make the small detour vie Como city center. Count about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. The first leg around the city center of Milan may be congested and somewhat difficult to find.

Places of interest between Linate - Lavertezzo - Lauterbrunnen:
City of Monza
City of Como
Medieval church and battisterio of Riva San Vitale
Cog wheel railway from Capolago to Monte Generoso (5555 ft, viewpoint over all lakes and to the Alps, panoramic restaurant)
Melide Swissminiatur
City of Lugano
Rope railway from Lugano to viewpoint Monte San Salvatore
Lake Lugano cruise from Lugano to the scenic villages of Gandria and Morcote
Copy of the Last Supper painted by a disciple of Leonardo da Vinci at Capriasca
Tamaro adnventure Park
Locarno and Ascona
Botanical Gardens at the Brissago Islands
Medieval castles of Bellinzona
Medieval churches of Giornico
Car ferry and cog wheel railway from Beckenried to Viewpoint Rigi (5900 ft)
City of Lucerne (small detour)
Woodcarver's village Brienz

Last edited by neckervd; Mar 3rd, 2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 02:08 PM

@ MyriamC: Yes, I've driven in mountains. I prefer to ride in a train, with a glass of wine, and the option to get off the train where and when I want.
For safety's sake, I hope you wait for the train to stop ;-)
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 04:51 PM
kja

Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
For safety's sake, I hope you wait for the train to stop ;-)
As a rule.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 12:36 AM

... or put on the emergency break. According to Swiss Law, the fine for that will never exceed ten thousand Swiss Francs (10 500 USD).
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again so much for all the info you've provided neckervd. When I put in your original suggestions into maps it appeared to be significantly longer than this route along with the stops that seemed to take several hours. Maybe I'm missing something here...?
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by jeairas View Post
Any suggestions for great stops between Bellinzona and Lauterbrunnen?
We liked Beckenried and Brienz.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 05:10 PM

"Thank you all, this is very helpful. Considering that we'd ideally like to drive no more than 8 hours it looks like we'll be taking this route:
Linate airport - Como - Lavertezzo (I look forward to seeing Ponte Dei Salti and those super clear waters) - Lauterbrunnen, then head to Malpensa airport via Brig".

Your Route
https://goo.gl/maps/6GRcwU4QX25vcLnT8

Stay in Grindelwald(charming village) over Lauterbrunnen (transportation center). https://grindelwald.swiss/en/winter/ https://lauterbrunnen.swiss/en/winter/
https://bro.jungfrauregion.info/Gri/...de/mobile/#p=1

neckervd Suggestion (Zermatt= Matterhorn)
https://goo.gl/maps/w3S8yaxTVWWLQ5w58

Notes: I would not take your 10 month old to Jungfraunoch elevation 11,371 ft. Too high for undeveloped lungs. Ask your pediatrician what is ok.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information