Search

2 wks road trip west coast USA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 wks road trip west coast USA

Hi,

I will be flying to San Fran in November for 2 weeks. I was looking to spend 2-3 night in San Fran drive down the coast and stay in La for 2 nights then onto San Diego. We would then fly to Las Vegas for couple of days. We would like to visit Yosemite park. What is the best way from Las Vegas to Yosemite park ?
We are flying out of san fran also.

Are we packing too much into two weeks?

Thanks
John
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 01:21 PM

Hopefully most of the the coast road will be open by your trip. Be sure to check with the California DOT to see where you will need to detour.

I would visit Yosemite from San Francisco in November, much closer than Vegas.

If you need to cut something, cut Vegas.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 01:29 PM

It's highly doubtful Hwy 1 will be open by November. Yes, the bridge construction will likely be completed, but the mudslide further south will prevent you from driving through. You will have to backtrack to Monterey and then take Hwy 101 inland.

I would also do Yosemite early in your trip.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 01:33 PM

Also you tagged this as a trip report, you might be able to get the moderators to remove that tag and will probably get more responses.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.I have been researching accommodation and hotels expensive in San Fran. Which hotels would you recommend on a budget?
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 02:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> Which hotels would you recommend on a budget?<<

Can't - since you haven't told us what your budget is. How much do you want to pay per night?

Two weeks is not really enough time for SF, the Coast, SD, Vegas and Yosemite. Plus it is very possible Tioga Pass will be closed so the only way to get from LV to Yosemite is a loooooong boring drive via Bakersfield. OR flying from LV to Fresno on Allegiant. But that would mean renting another car.

When in November? If over either the veterans Day or Thanksgiving periods -- many places on the coast will have a two night or more minimum.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 05:14 PM

There is no good way to go from Las Vegas to Yosemite in November.

Your best bet for your destinations would be San Francisco, Yosemite, Highway 1, Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas and fly home from Las Vegas (or vice versa).

If you must fly home from San Francisco: San Francisco, Highway 1, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Yosemite, San Francisco.

San Diego - Yosemite - San Francisco is 600 miles, whereas San Diego - Las Vegas - Yosemite - San Francisco is 1000 miles and the 500 miles between Las Vegas and Yosemite is a particularly unpleasant drive.

HTtY
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 05:18 PM

I missed the part about flying to Las Vegas, but the 400 miles between Las Vegas and Yosemite is still a particularly unpleasant drive.

HTtY
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

My budget would be under 100 per night for accommodation .I am flying on and out of San Francisco.My dates are 10 to 26th of November so will be there for Thanksgiving.Any ideas for this day ?I will be in Los vegas or San Francisco on 23rd
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 09:12 PM

San Francisco is an expensive city. $100 per night is unrealistic. You could look for a hostel.

In fact $100 is too low for most any place along the coast includign San Diego. You might get a room in Vegas for that -- but not on weekends or holidays so plan accordingly.

You are traveling over both the Veterans Day and Thanksgiving holidays and room rates will be even higher than normal in many places.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks .I would like to travel from Yosemite to los Angeles via coast route.What towns should I take in and is there a bus service which you can recommend ?
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 07:37 AM

$100 per night budget and using buses it seems you are likely backpacking. I'd look at the Thorntree website. There is very little public transport in a lot of the places you want to visit. Good transport in SF, getting to be decent-ish in LA, and there are buses from Fresno and Merced to Yosemite.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 10:06 AM

The bus does not travel the coast, taking Amtrak you will see a bit of the coast but well south and nowhere near the best part, to see the coast you need to drive. There is a tour company, Cal Parlor Tours, which did travel Highway 1 through Big Sur but no idea what they are doing with parts of the highway closed.
You can likely get a room for under $100 on Nov. 23 since that is a weekday, go plug your dates into booking.com and see what is still available.
Elsewhere $100 per night is a hostel budget, or you might be able to get a room through AirBnB but post links BEFORE booking since many communities in the LA area have outlawed short term rentals. LA itself is supposed to debate putting caps on short term rentals later this year.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

I wasn't going to drive as never drove in US before but considering it now. If I picked up a car in San Fran and drove to Yosemite park then to LA via coast. Would roads be ok in November around Yosemite?
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 02:14 PM

Hwy 140 is the lowest elevation route into Yosemite and doesn't go above the elevation of the valley at 4000 ft. It's hard to say what the weather will be. We went mid-November last year and storms closed Glacier Point and Tioga Pass during our stay. There were no restrictions in the valley. There's a year round YARTS route on 140 in case you can't drive the rental car in due to tire chain requirements https://yarts.com/wp-content/uploads...r-17-PRINT.pdf