15 days road trip - Germany, Czech Republic, Austria and Südtirol

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been long time and good to be back. After our 2011 whirlwind tour of "17 days in London, Paris, Florence, Rome and Interlaken" and it is time again - but by road this time.

Still working on the itinerary and below are highlights . Trying to find the best scenic routes with a good mix of autobahn and back country to save time. Theme here is off-the-beaten-path to enjoy the countrysides - castles, lakes and mountains. Advantage of having a car means you have wealth of choices and access to hard-to-reach places. One notable miss is Baden-Baden/Black Forest but I hate to say I could fit it in. There is only so much you can.

15 Jun: LAX- FRA:
16: Arrive at Frankfurt then Stuttgart by rail.
16,17: Stuttgart
18: Pick up the car and on road to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. with a brief stop at Ludwigsburg, just north of Stuttgart. Overnight at Rothenburg
19: On road to Prague - detour from autbahn before Nuremberg and drive thru Altmuhl valley. Brief stop at Karlstejn castle before reaching Prague.
19, 20: Prague
21: On road to Cesky Krumlov. Wish we could stay overnight here but not more than few hrs. Leave early at arrive Vienna by evening.
21,22: Vienna
22: On road to Salzburg - stop at Melk, Wachau Valley.
23, 24: Salzburg, Salzkammergut, Hallstat

(*** Plan B: Skip Salzburg and drive to Slovenia. Overnight at Bled and explore Lake Bohinj area. Overnight at Lake Bled area and drive to Bozen and then base Schliersee)

25 Jun - 2 Jul: Schliersee (Bavaria): Day trips from this base for whole week. Long relaxing drives in Alpenstrasse, explore Bavaria, South Tryrol. Stop for lakes & castles -Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Innsbruck, Neuschwanstein, Bad Tolz, Zugspitze, Chiemsee. Possible extended drives to Kastelruth, Alpe di Siusi alpine meadows on Italian side.

2 Jul: Back to Stuttgart with a brief stop at Hohenzollern Castle. Drop off the car then train to Frankfurt
3: FRA-LAX.

Pl chime in and give your inputs, point me to hidden gems and recommendations.
Old May 11th, 2015, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey! When you are in Austria passing through Hallstatt be sure to take the Grossglockner High Alpine road, it is amazing. And Hallstatt is worth visiting as well, it is very tiny, but very cute village with beautiful lake. I have done a car trip with friends last year, we went through Prague - Austria - Italy - Germany. In case you need an idea on what it is like, you can check my blogpost on it: http://www.travel-monkey.com/amazing-austria/.
Good luck!