Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/)
-   -   10 days Colorado Road Trip from Dallas (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/10-days-colorado-road-trip-from-dallas-1113224/)

danny9948 Jun 17th, 2016 02:48 PM

10 days Colorado Road Trip from Dallas

We 4 adults, (2+ my parents) + 2 children (5,7 yrs) are planning a 10 day Colorado trip. I have visited CO when I was in school in 2001 (RMNP) , then with my wife in Winter of 2006 (Aspen) and wanted my parents to see the beautiful state aswell.

Day 1 - Drive to Pueblo CO.
Day 2: COGs train/ Garden of Gods
Day 3: Royal Gorge train + Drive to Aspen through Independence pass
Day 4: Maroon Bells + Glenwood Springs hot springs visit
Day 5: Enjoy 4th of July in the city of Aspen/Aspen Mountain etc.
Day 6: Drive to RMNP, drive through Denver, stock on groceries. get some urban air
Day 7 : Bear Lake hike + Drive up Trail Rigde road
Day 8-10: Not planned yet

Seek Tips /suggestions and any other activities that aren't too strenuous for my parents. They can hike, but not for hours. Also I am deeply interested in photography. So any suggestion on that are welcome. The tips on my last trip to Aspen were awesome. It helped a lot. I owe it to you guys.

Thanks
A Colorado loving Texan

Gretchen Jun 17th, 2016 04:22 PM

I know people are tired of me recommending this, but think about some dinosaur sites for the children. There are some wonderful sites--I think there is one at Royal Gorge which we did not see. At woodland Park, just outside CO Springs, there is a great exhibit. It is really a great thing for that age--and parents too.
I might choose some different things.
Be sure to force water from beginning to end of trip--drink, drink, drink.
I don't think your day 6, 7,8 is correct. You will want to approach RMNP from the west via Trail Ridge Road, etc. NOT Denver, etc.
Denver is worth a look see.

danny9948 Jun 17th, 2016 04:53 PM

Thanks. Will check it out.
We didn't want to go through the trail ridge road due to concerns for high altitude sickness. Plus we have rented a place in Estes park so wanted to pick very specific things to eat in Denver. Hence the long route

fmpden Jun 17th, 2016 08:27 PM

My concern would be day 3. Truthfully don't see how you could do the train and still make it to Aspen. That is a long mountain drive and not very direct from CS.

On Day 6 you would not have to drive through Denver to Estes Park. You could cut off at Golden, take hwy 92 along the hog back to Boulder. Could get your groceries in Boulder and continue on to E Park.

Gretchen Jun 18th, 2016 08:43 AM

I don't see how driving through RMNP on Trail Ridge would be a real altitude problem and you're doing Independence Pass (I don't have those figures but you are pretty much at altitude once you leave Denver, IMO).
You can find very adequate grocery stores throuhout Summit County--Dillon, Frisco, and probably Estes Park.

Lexma90 Jun 18th, 2016 01:48 PM

I would agree that if anyone has (or doesn't have) altitude sickness, driving over Independence Pass or on Trail Ridge Road won't be the biggest issue. If someone has altitude sickness, they may get it merely from being in Aspen (7,900 ft) or Estes Park (7,500 for the town, about 7,800 in RMNP). If they are going to develop altitude sickness at a higher altitude (12,000 ft at top of Independence and 11,500 at highest point of Trail Ridge Rd), you would be down lower again within an hour or so. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

It makes more sense, for your itinerary, to go into RMNP and Estes Park from the west. And do not drive all the way into Denver for groceries. There are numerous towns along the way that have perfectly fine grocery stores (including a nice Whole Foods just off I-70 in Frisco). And personally, while I live in a Denver suburb, I would say the best parts of Colorado are in the mountains (and not in Denver). Obviously, a matter of personal opinion.

danny9948 Jun 20th, 2016 10:35 AM

Thats a good point. Thank you.

1. I had a great time in the Glenwood hot spring when we skied in Aspen in 2007. I am hearing not so good review about the place being outdated etc. Is it true? If so, what are my alternatives?

2. What are some of the recommendations to do in RMNP?