My wife and I are used to travelling, and did pretty well after getting married. We always traveled on a shoestring staying in Hostels and providing our own wandering tours of cities by using guide books. We have been to Mexico (Oaxaca in '04) and in S. America, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Uruguay, but we haven't been to Central America. Now that we're older and since we've a kid, we haven't had the chance to get out of the country. Now that we're planning a new adventure, we're at a bit of a loss about how to go about it. We're planning on bringing the boy and hope to expose his little 3 year old mind to a bit more of the world. Obviously our style of travel is going to have to change. He doesn't yet have the endurance to keep up with my wife's walk all day and see/do everything we possibly can. He might do ok in museums as long as there aren't a whole lot of them. I worry a little about him getting sick. I doubt we would be happy with a resort style vacation, but that is what it might come down to. Right now, we're taking him on local weekend mini-trips to see how he would do, but we still rely on our car to get around. Something that might or might not be practical depending on where in Central America we end up going, I guess. We've only gone on buses and taxis on our trips, never bothering to rent a car. I'm only good for about half a day carrying him around on my shoulders. My wife definitely wants to practice her Spanish and maybe pick up some local art to share with the Spanish classes she teaches. I don't have very many needs, but I do enjoy technical museums or Engineering / Architecture attractions. I haven't found anything in C.A. that trips those interests other than the Panama Canal.
So, with that long winded introduction, does anyone have advice for us? I guess we're not your usual travelers, but I'm not sure what kind of travelers we are now. I think we need to plan conservative and, if things go well, build from there. We are planning 2 weeks in late May with not much luggage. We considering Guatamala, Costa Rica, or Panama currently, but we're not gaining much traction on planning the trip.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 BULLGUARD $ renewal Contact $ 1800~681 7208 $ BULLGUARD Tec*h care 24*7
- 2 Belize planning help
- 3 Belize planning help-choosing your guides
- 4 help with my itinerary
- 5 Quiet ocean view in Baja- rental
- 6 Next edition of "Fodor's Cancun & the Riviera Maya [...]
- 7 Costa Rica by car or by shuttle busses
- 8 San Jose to Manuel Antonio NP
- 9 Spanish language course in Mexico City
- 10 What to do for 7 days in Guanacaste, Costa Rica
- 11 Tipping a driver in Tulum
- 12 Please help with seven day Belize itinerary with three children!
- 13 Cancun Terminal 4?
- 14 Costa Rica in Spring - Guanacaste Region
- 15 Guadalajara quick break in March
- 16 Book Today
- 17 Oaxaca City
- 18 Puerto Vallarta & Vicinity
- 19 live from PV !
- 20 San Luis Potosí, Mexico and area suggestions
- 21 Cabos to Todos Santos
- 22 3 weeks in Costa Rica 1st time in Jan 2018
- 23 Car rental in Costa Rica
- 24 Rosarito Beach and Valle de Guadalupe
- 25 Teotihuacán small tour recommendations?