Hi, all -
As most of your know, I travel to Latin America every summer to study Spanish and my favorite town south of the border is San Pedro La Laguna on Lake Atitlán in the mountains of Guatemala; I have some very dear friends there, locals who run a Spanish school and invest heavily in the community. Kids there get free education through 6th grade but can only attend the equivalent of middle school and high school if they pay,which most of the locals can't do. My husband and I looked into the cost (about $36/month for the first 3 years and $60/month for the next 3 years) and decided to sponsor a student a year at a time, continuing through high school and possibly beyond if they continue to be successful.
I asked my friends in San Pedro to help find a bright, hard working, deserving student without the resources to continue in school without sponsorship. They were ecstatic to be asked and took the job very seriously, interviewing families and requesting school records and recommendations. They picked 4 finalists, interviewed them, and sent us the photos, interview notes, and school records and asked us to choose.
These are wonderfulo, deserving kids but Mike and I can only commit to sponsoring one at this time. It' s heart breaking to see photos and school records of students whose lives would be changed with the offer of continued schooling and say no to any of them. I know there are other individuals, families, or groups out there who would be interested if we can get the word out. If you - or someone you know - is willing to consider a long term commitment to educate a deserving student, please let me know. I have photos and information I can email anyone who has an interest. Happy trails!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 AOL 1800~570:1233 Password Reset Contact AOL Tec*h Sup0rt care.
- 2 AOL 1800~570:1233 Password Reset Contact AOL Tec*h Sup0rt LoL.
- 3 Help me plan a trip to Mexico City and San Miguel De Allende
- 4 Puerto Vallarta
- 5 Costa Rica in January
- 6 playa del carmen
- 7 Back to Oaxaca.
- 8 What to do with an extra day near Tulum
- 9 Mexico City and Ravenna...who knew?
- 10 First time in MC
- 11 Looking for a place similar to Playa Del Carmen
- 12 Mazatlan suggestions for first-time visitor
- 13 Tipping Housekeeping in Costa Rica
- 14 bugs in belize
- 15 Pollution in Mexico City
- 16 Next edition of "Fodor's Cancun & the Riviera Maya [...]
- 17 Small, swimable Mexican beach town?
- 18 Mexico City NYE ideas
- 19 Trip Report - Yucatan
- 20 Bus from Oaxaca to Mexico City
- 21 Rental cost in a cool climate in Mexico
- 22 San Miguel or Mexico City
- 23 Oaxaca Suggestions
- 24 Nicaragua
- 25 Winter escape
Hi, all -