I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 AOL EMAIL Password Reset ☎ 1~844~853:3131 Contact Now ☎ AOL Tec*h CALL.☎M3*
- 2 Honeymoon - Costa Rica
- 3 Costa Rica in January
- 4 Xunantunich vs Tikal
- 5 Sell me on Mexico for my vacation
- 6 Costa Rica Itinerary with Kids
- 7 Back to Oaxaca.
- 8 Snorkeling in/near Playa del Carmen
- 9 Help me plan a trip to Mexico City and San Miguel De Allende
- 10 Puerto Vallarta
- 11 playa del carmen
- 12 What to do with an extra day near Tulum
- 13 Mexico City and Ravenna...who knew?
- 14 First time in MC
- 15 Looking for a place similar to Playa Del Carmen
- 16 Mazatlan suggestions for first-time visitor
- 17 Tipping Housekeeping in Costa Rica
- 18 bugs in belize
- 19 Pollution in Mexico City
- 20 Next edition of "Fodor's Cancun & the Riviera Maya [...]
- 21 Small, swimable Mexican beach town?
- 22 Mexico City NYE ideas
- 23 Trip Report - Yucatan
- 24 Bus from Oaxaca to Mexico City
- 25 Rental cost in a cool climate in Mexico