We are planning a week long beach getaway at the end of May. We have been to Riviera Maya a couple of times before but not in recent years. With all the violence we hear about in Mexico, how safe is it to travel there? I know that once we are in a resort, it's probably not an issue, but we would not like to stay in Cancun and I remember that in the past we always arrived in the evening and had at least an hour drive down to our resort at night with resorts on one side of the road and wilderness on the other. Is that trip still OK to take? Are there any precautions we should take?
Also, last time we stayed at one of Barcelo Maya (I think Beach) all-inclusive places and it was fine, nice balance of cost and comfort. Is there a nicer all inclusive resort that you can recommend within the same price range or perhaps just a little more expensive but not much more?
Any information on either subject would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 BROTHER PRINTER 1~800~681:7208 installations Contact BROTHER Techh care
- 2 Puerto Vallarta
- 3 playa del carmen
- 4 Costa Rica in January
- 5 Help me plan a trip to Mexico City and San Miguel De Allende
- 6 Back to Oaxaca.
- 7 What to do with an extra day near Tulum
- 8 Mexico City and Ravenna...who knew?
- 9 First time in MC
- 10 Looking for a place similar to Playa Del Carmen
- 11 Mazatlan suggestions for first-time visitor
- 12 Tipping Housekeeping in Costa Rica
- 13 bugs in belize
- 14 Pollution in Mexico City
- 15 Next edition of "Fodor's Cancun & the Riviera Maya [...]
- 16 Small, swimable Mexican beach town?
- 17 Mexico City NYE ideas
- 18 Trip Report - Yucatan
- 19 Bus from Oaxaca to Mexico City
- 20 Rental cost in a cool climate in Mexico
- 21 San Miguel or Mexico City
- 22 Oaxaca Suggestions
- 23 Nicaragua
- 24 Winter escape
- 25 Entry into Cancun
How safe is Riviera Maya? All inclusive resort recommendation?