I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South or Central America with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 YAHOO 1888:260:2909 password reset contact Tec*h 24/7
- 2 Oaxaca restaurants - suggestions?
- 3 Snorkeling in/near Playa del Carmen
- 4 Oaxaca City
- 5 Should we go to Los Cabos or Puerto Vallarta in July?
- 6 live from PV !
- 7 Next edition of "Fodor's Cancun & the Riviera Maya [...]
- 8 HAPPY THANKSGIVING
- 9 Tipping a driver in Tulum
- 10 Belize planning help-choosing your guides
- 11 playa del carmen what to do
- 12 Guadalajara quick break in March
- 13 Belize planning help
- 14 help with my itinerary
- 15 Quiet ocean view in Baja- rental
- 16 Costa Rica by car or by shuttle busses
- 17 San Jose to Manuel Antonio NP
- 18 Spanish language course in Mexico City
- 19 What to do for 7 days in Guanacaste, Costa Rica
- 20 Please help with seven day Belize itinerary with three children!
- 21 Cancun Terminal 4?
- 22 Costa Rica in Spring - Guanacaste Region
- 23 Book Today
- 24 Puerto Vallarta & Vicinity
- 25 San Luis Potosí, Mexico and area suggestions
2-month sabbatical in Costa Rica- request for suggested town to stay in