Notices

Zihuatanejo to Acapolco?

Nov 30th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Zihuatanejo to Acapolco?

We are planning to be at Zihu for a week on Dec 24 ( my wife, me and our 20yr old son). My son and I have been to Mexico a number of times, though never to Zihu, which has always been on my list. However, I am getting a bit of cold feet reading some reviews ( beaches not very pretty - Zihu itself not the most quint little town imagined; safety issues, and gringos overtaken as rude investors of little hotels). Can anyone shed some light on these issues? We have been to Riviera Maya ( Akumal which we loved), and also traveled to Oaxaca, Mexico City, Guadalajara, and PV before.

Also, I was thinking of driving down to Acapulco for say three nights of the trip ( three at Zihu, three at Acapulco). Is driving, during the day, at toll highways reasonably safe? Again, I am concerned as I am traveling with my wife this time and she is very fussy and easy to be displeased or concerned!

Would also love any suggestions for beach front, good hotels. Would pay up for good service and view, and access to beach.

Many thanks.
Nov 30th, 2013, 07:49 PM

First of all relax. Zihuatanejo has some of the nicest beaches on Mexico's West Coast. Far superior to PV, Manzanillo or Acapulco.
Lots of excellent hotels on the beach in all price ranges.
Terrific restaurants at all price points.
Zihua is a most walkable city. Great day trips & over night ones.
PS A couple of years ago I planned on staying a week in Acapulco then moving on to Zihua. Not to my liking, big, busy & dirty!
Left after 2 nights on a first class bus which leave every 20 miuntes for the 4 1/2 hour trip. Far better & cheaper than driving.
PS No toll road between Zihuatanajo & Acapulco. Only mostly a 2 lane highway.
Nov 30th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stewbear - ended up scarpping Acapulco idea and staying just five nights at Viceroy Zihutanejo. Appreciate the reassurance. Will plan to see the local areas and explore some good cafes with a spanish-only menu. The beach we are in is La Ropa, which I understadn is teh best for swimming - I a mlookign forward to that since one of the main points of the trip is for my son to swim in warm waters!

Let me know if you have any favorites in the area - place s to see, restaurants, etc.
Nov 30th, 2013, 08:58 PM

Viceroy is a excellent hotel
My favorite day. trip is Barra de Potosi set on a 9 1/2 mile mostly empty beach. A half of dozen beach cafes selling very fresh fish in this little village set on a lovely Lagoon wich is excellent for rental kayaks. Filled with secret passageways leading to back waterways filled with wildlife. Near by is a lovely animal center with lots to see & do. Al less than 30 minutes from Zihuatanejo.
In town Papa Loca, Chendo's, Rufo's, Lety's, Casa Vieja are all excellent Mexican restaurants. Less than a 10 minute cab ride from your hotel.
Sunday night at the Zocalo is always fun with local entertainment, food stands & tons of people.
A day boat trip to Las Gatas beach is good. Not a island but with no roads to it it has a island feel. Fair snorkeling off its coral sand shore. Again with a number of local cafes.
Just a few examples.

Search this Thread