Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Zihuatanejo or Costa Rica? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/zihuatanejo-or-costa-rica-293728/)

Eastie Mar 2nd, 2003 01:26 PM

Zihuatanejo or Costa Rica?

Zihuatanejo or Manuel Antonio Beach in Costa Rica.....can't decide. We have one week for a family vaction to spend either in Zihuatanejo Mexico....or Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica. We are going in circles trying to make the right decision. Feedback would help us!

eb Mar 2nd, 2003 02:36 PM

Definitely Costa Rica! We've been to Costa Rica twice (two separate locations), and to Ixtapa twice, both times visiting Zihuatanejo while there. We love CR and Z, but CR is sooo beautiful, tropical, and clean! You can travel anywhere in Costa Rica and feel safe. Just do some searches on the web and you'll see what I mean. Good luck.

JayWeinstein Mar 2nd, 2003 03:22 PM

Eastie,<BR>I took a 10-day trip to Costa Rica this past August. I posted a lengthy trip report on this site called &quot;Trip Report, Costa Rica, Aug. '02 Part I&quot; (the other parts are contained within that post.) I believe that Zihuatanejo, Mexico is the place where Tim Robbins's character in &quot;The Shawshank Redemption&quot; escaped prison to. I don't know anything about that place.<BR><BR>But I can tell you that Costa Rica is an optimal destination for the adventure vacationer. Among the activites to enjoy in Costa Rica are: white water rafting, hiking, scuba diving, volcanos, natural hot springs, rain forests, wild animals, birding, nesting turtles, fishing, incredible vistas, horse back riding, and so much more.<BR><BR>I did a lot of research and used Marbella Tours, an outfit out of Costa Rica to assist me in planning my vacation and activities. They were the cheapest and the best. They can be reached at [email protected], or 011-506-219-3637. Ask for Oldemar Madrigal.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR>Jay

Athena39 Mar 2nd, 2003 08:14 PM

It depends on what you're looking for. If you'e looking for a beach vacation, the beach at Zihuatanejo is much better. Costa Rica is not a beach destination. It has much more to offer however, particularly if you are interested in nature and wildlife and want an active vacation. If you just want to go to the beach, go to Mexico.

Ally Mar 3rd, 2003 07:48 AM

What??? Costa Rica is not a beach destination? Funny. I've been to Costa Rica 8 times and also go to the beach. Maunel Antonio beaches are some of the nicest in the country! And there is so much more to do! Also, you can eat anything and drink anything, including the tap water without worry of getting sick!

eb Mar 3rd, 2003 11:34 AM

I agree. The Beaches in Costa Rica are beautiful.

Tansy Mar 7th, 2003 12:01 PM

I have not (yet) been to Costa Rica, but I was married in Zihua and have vacationed there twice (staying in Zihua both times, not Ixtapa). Obviously I love Zihua, I think it's a great spot for a family vacation. You don't say where you're flying from, but with only one week for your vacation, that might make a difference. <BR>It seems to me that Costa Rica has so much to offer -- it might make sense to go there when you have time to explore more than just one area. Zihua, however, is a small fishing town with plenty to do, but it's perfect for just one week. You can swim, snorkel, fish, do a short hike, take a boat to some other beach areas, go to Barra de Potosi or Troncones for a day or two -- after one week, you'd really feel like you got to know the area. <BR><BR>Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time!