Zihuatanejo - Best Place to Stay

Mar 14th, 2000, 02:03 PM
Adam Butler

Zihuatanejo - Best Place to Stay

My wife and I are looking at the Westin Brisas in Ixtapa or La Casa Que Canta for our anniversary vacation. Can anyone give me pros and cons of each place. I kind of like the sound of the Westin but the pictures are awful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Adam

Mar 16th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Peggy

I would stay in Zihua at either Casa Que Canta (quiet, secluded, on a hill from the beach) or Villa Del Sol (more upbeat, on the beach, great service). You can always to go Ixtapa as a side trip.

Mar 17th, 2000, 03:08 PM
Susan

We were in Zihuatanejo for 2 weeks in February 99 and loved it. Our budget doesn't stretch to hotels like Casa Que Canta, but it looks wonderful. I didn't like Ixtapa at all. It's very artificial - just hotels and restaurants - I don't really think anyone actually lives there, and Zihuatanejo is much more of a real town. There's plenty of tourist amenities - some great restaurants, fun shopping, etc. Plus the beaches were much nicer. No one seemed to swim or play in the ocean in Ixtapa - waves were really big. The 2 places are only a short distance away from one another. I would definitely stay in Zihuatanejo and if you want to visit Ixtapa, you could check it out.

Mar 18th, 2000, 03:39 PM
tracy

I stayed at the Westin in Ixtapa a couple of years ago...it was very nice with a lot to offer! Beautiful pools, a nice beach, shuttles, good restaurants, etc.. I didn't love Ixtapa, but I liked Zihua even less. It is a bit too authentically Mexican filled with poverty, etc...A good place to visit once while you are there, but I'd stay at the Westin...it's supposed to be the best there! Also, La Casa...is very expensive (Movie Stars stay there) and very remote, with no television, etc...It depends what kind of vacation you are looking for.

Mar 20th, 2000, 10:04 AM
irina

Don't know your age or preferences, but Ixtapa is your typical overbuilt resort town, modern and full of tourist shops, discos, bikini stores, etc The Ixtapa beach is long and pretty dangerous at times, the waves are high and the current is bad. I've been to both Ixtapa and Zihua at least 3 times each, and would not chose Ixtapa anymore, unless I wanted cheaper. In Zihua definitely recommend the Villa del Sol over the Casa que Canta, since Villa del Sol has its own private beach (Casa doesn't have a beach, you end up having to walk down the hill to the public beach) and is definitely a unique romantic place: you must get a suite (all of them are great, but Lagoon or Beach Suites are definitely the ultimate in luxury and amenities)they have private minipools on terrace or balcony, double-sized hammocks, big chaise lounges, canopied king-size beds, all the modern amenities like satellite tv, phones, cd players, etc They have 4 beautiful pools, of which I highly recommend the infinity pool by the Cantina Bar & Grill, where you can catch some shade under a beautiful pergola and overlook the beach and ocean... It's well worth the price. They're on the web: hotelvilladelsol.net, check them out. Hope this helps, Irina

Apr 5th, 2000, 10:01 AM
john

Stayed at the Westin Ixtapa.If you like hard beds, water dripping from ceiling due to air conditioning, a long walk to the pool or an elevator ride to the beach this is the place for you. Went to Casa Que Canta for dinner and it was wonderful. I wish we stayed there. If you want to stay in Ixtapa go to the Krystal.

Apr 12th, 2000, 10:06 AM
Kara

Nothing beats Villa Del Sol in Zihuatanejo!
Romantic,beautiful, clean, great service, amazing food,massages on the beach..