Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   zihuantenejo and beaches and hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/zihuantenejo-and-beaches-and-hotels-45710/)

michele Jun 4th, 1999 07:18 AM

zihuantenejo and beaches and hotels

I am looking for a picturesque hotel ( Casa que Cante ?) with a good beach for swimming. Also, what is the town of Zih like? <BR>I do not want a completely resort vacation. I would like some cultural activities. I can't seem to find much information ( other than beach, swim, snorkel ) in any guidebook and I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Susan Jun 4th, 1999 05:39 PM

We were in Zihuatanejo in early March for 2 weeks and liked it very much. The town was much bigger than I had expected - it's definitely not the small fishing village that the guidebooks write about. It was also not a particularly 'cultural' experience. I rarely spend 2 weeks in one town, especially a beach town, but we settled into a very pleasant routine. Casa que Canta looks nice - it's one of the more expensive hotels in town, I think, but for my money, I'd look into a place called Casa Cuitlateca. We had dinner and drinks there our last night. It was amazing. The manager took us on a tour of the rooms and they were all wonderful. It's definitely pricy, but if I wasn't concerned about my budget (and unfortunately I am!), I would stay there. The view is amazing. (It's also way up the hill, so getting up and down is a challenge.) If you want any more info about Zihuatanejo, feel free to e-mail me. We really enjoyed our time there.

Ryan Jun 9th, 1999 10:25 AM

I just returned from a long trip to Zihua and Ixtapa. Had a great time. I disagree with the other writer saying that it wasn't excactly a cultural experience. For us it definitley was. Had a great trip and was very sad to leave. Email back if I can answer any specifics for you. Thanks.

john Jun 9th, 1999 02:01 PM

<BR>Hi, We stayed at Villa Del Sol last year the beach was very nice but no snorkeling. It's the ocean not the Caribbean!!! <BR>The hotel was perfect,better than I expected. We had our own plunge pool, we get in, and do cocktails late at night. <BR>The food was very good there, much better then anything in town and for lunch they would set you a table right on the sand with linen and all! <BR>We would go into town everyday,it was clean with lots of shops and the people were freindly. <BR>I went fishing one day and saw hundreds!! of dolphin. <BR>There is a man just down the beach that has a walk in hunador and sells all the great cuban cigars for about 12$ us..if you like that sort of thing. write me if you need me..john

MARISOL Aug 2nd, 1999 01:21 PM

I just came back from Zih. at the end of July. It was very beautiful but very very hot. You could not visit the town during the day because it was too hot. I stayed at Villa Del Sol and it was the BEST. It was like little villa's with their own plunge pools right on the beach. They have three pools all around the villas and the service and the food is outstanding. It was very romantic but definitely not a place for singles. Ixtapa was o.k. if you want see tall hotels all the time but the restaurants are good there. I also visited the hotel Casa que Canta at that time it was under some constructions and they had no one available to show me around. They are not on a beach but the beach is very close to it. It is built on a cliff and it does look beautiful. Email me if any questions. <BR>

Peggy Aug 5th, 1999 08:15 PM

I agree, Villa Del Sol is the best hotel I've been to in Mexico & have been vacationing there for many years. Casa Que Canta seemed a bit stuffy & it is a decent hike up & down to the beach. <BR>Go to the town center (basketball court) on Sunday night for the town family gatherings for dancing & food. Coconuts was great for a romantic dinner and Casa de la Selva in Ixtapa at sunset. Enjoy!