Yucutan in September - Less Touristy Sites & cities

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:31 PM
julia

Yucutan in September - Less Touristy Sites & cities

I am going to the Yucutan in mid September. I fly into Cancun and am renting a car for 2 weeks, and intend to get out of Cancun ASAP as I hear it is very touristy. Any suggestions of where we can drive to that offers a unique and non-tourtisty experience? I'm looking for interesting ruins off the beaten track, more secluded beaches (if this exists) and some more authentic mexican towns. I have been warned about driving at night - is driving into the interior of mexico a dangerous idea? - even if we stick to driving in the day?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Nancy

Stay in Cancun for at least one night either when you first get there or get ready to fly back as it has some great restaurants and a beautiful beach.
Rent your car, drive down 307 stopping/staying at Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tankah.
You can drive to Chichen Itza from PDC, Tulum from Akumal or Tankah, and Coba if you're really a ruin nut.
Not dangerous driving in the day unless you are a timid driver (fast buses and tailgaiting cabs).
You can also go on down past Tankha into the Sian Kaan Biosphere area and camp/stay and go on down to Belize.
I definitely would not drive in the interior at night - just my opinion.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Patty

Try beach towns like Akumal and Paamul. Tulum and Chichen Itza have a lot of daytrippers from Cancun so it can get pretty crowded. Consider overnighting near Chichen Itza and visiting before or after the crowds arrive. I also highly recommend buying the Riviera Maya map published by Can-Do Maps www.cancunmap.com - it's the best map I've found - lists every hotel, restaurant, tour operator, etc along the coast and is better than a guidebook IMO.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Carole

Hi Julia,

This message I posted to "Mexico again", but I think it also will be helpful to you.

You could stay on the Caribbean coast at Playa del Carmen (take
the ferry to Cozumel from here) or further south in the Tankah/Tulum area for
more peace and quiet and a good location for visiting the ruins of Tulum and
Coba. Many beautiful cenotes in this area also. As Kenneth suggests, I would
also schedule in a 1 or 2 night trip to include Chichen Itza and Merida or
Valladolid. I also strongly recommend renting a car for the trip. Very convenient
for visiting unique beachfront restaurants and getting off the beaten path. Here
are a few web sites for some places of interest in the area.

beachfront villa in Tankah
http://CasaTropical.com

Hidden Worlds snorkel & dive tours of cenotes (segement of IMAX film done
here)
http://hiddenworlds.com.mx/

Aktun Chen (dry caves)
www.aktunchen.com

Maps of Riviera Maya Can-do Maps
http://WWW.cancunmap.com/

Check out this web site for tours lead by the Friends of Sian Ka'an group. It is a
non-profit organization and tour guides are usually biologists. Very informative
tours lead by a very worthwhile organization.
Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve
http://www.cancun.com/siankaan/

photo of tankah's cenote'
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smiths...diver_jpg.html

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Sant

I'd drive south along the Mayan Riviara checking out the sites to Tulum. From Tulum, I head west to Coba, Valladolid, Chichen Itza and on to Merida. Using Merida as a homebase, I'd check out Uzmal. Then head back to Cancun for a little R&R before heading home.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 11:31 AM
JULIA

I've heard Chichen Itza is in the middle of nowhere. Do you have any recommendations of where I can stay the night around them to see the ruins before or after the tour buses arrive?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Carole

You can stay right at Chichen Itza at either Mayaland (my 1st choice of the 2)or the Club Med Villas Archeological. If you decide to stay in Villadolid then try Hotel El Meson del Marques. Heard that Hotel Dolores Alba in Merida or Piste (visit Dznip Cenote) is also very reasonable and nice.