Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Yucatan Hurricane Damage (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/yucatan-hurricane-damage-653207/)

lewissh3 Oct 16th, 2006 12:02 PM

Yucatan Hurricane Damage

Hi All,

We are planning a trip over Christmas. Can anyone confirm the areas that were damaged by Hurricane Wilma that would affect diving and snorkeling?

Thank you!

Shannon

Little_Man Oct 16th, 2006 01:24 PM

unfortuanately, Cozumel, which had the best snorkeling seems to have gotten some major reef damage.
You won't notice too much damage to the landscape, the area is recovering really well, and the people who lived here have done a remarkable job rebuilding.

TC Oct 16th, 2006 02:13 PM

The diving is still good around Cozumel. The deep reefs didn't get hurt too badly. The shallow reefs for snorkeling were hit pretty hard.

Little_Man Oct 16th, 2006 02:33 PM

glad to hear that.

marthag Oct 16th, 2006 04:37 PM

TC and Frankie....We are hoping to have a winter getaway for snorkeling in Mexico. I understand that Cozumel's snorkeling-from-the-shore has been badly affected by Wilma, but was hoping that the snorkeling on excursion boats was still good. Have reefs like the Palancar reef been damaged, so that even boat excursions don't result in good fish viewing?

Would Akumal have better snorkeling from-the-shore and on excursion boats than we would find on Cozumel? Or do the excursion boats from Akumal go over to the reefs near Cozumel?

TC Oct 17th, 2006 06:50 AM

Any reef that is shallow enough for snorkeling -- that is in water shallow enough that you can see the bottom while snorkeling - say less than 20 feet deep, was effected by Hurricane Wilma. The severe wave action for days on end simply ripped everything away. I haven't been to Palancar Shallows yet, but Dzul Ha was stripped bare. Once the coral and sponges that fish feed on was gone, the fish followed. Having said that, keep in mind that this all happened a year ago. Small amounts of bottom cover vegetation came back quickly and so again the fish followed. The snorkeling in shallow reefs around Cozumel will take decades to become again what it once was. But it is still quite nice. If you have never been there before to make a serious comparison (we spends weeks there every winter so really notice the difference) you might not notice the damage as much. You should see a nice variety of fish, just not the coral or sponges once there.

If you are a very serious snorkeler and are intent on seeing coral and sponges, you might want to consider an alternative location this year - like Roatan.

tankah Oct 17th, 2006 11:10 AM

You are better off further south in the Tankah/Tulum area where Wilma did not do much damage at all. I've been back 4 times since last Oct. when the hurricane hit Cancun, Coz, Puerto Morelos and Isla Mujeres the hardest. There are also many cenotes in the Akumal/Tankah/Tulum area for great snorkeling and diving.

Carole
http://CasaTropical.com

marthag Oct 17th, 2006 02:19 PM

Thank you both for the helpful and detailed information. I think we will divide our time between Cozumel and Akumal, spending about four days in each location. I am so sad that I never managed to travel to Cozumel in the years before Wilma hit.

lewissh3 Oct 19th, 2006 05:09 PM

Thanks all for the information. I think we will head south of PDC this year and try Tulum and Costa Maya. Any suggestions of where to stay in Costa Maya?

lewissh3 Oct 21st, 2006 05:38 AM

What about Isla Holbox? How are the beaches there? Is it worth a 2-3 day stay??

pepper131 Oct 21st, 2006 07:58 AM

Along Costa Maya - the only places to stay are in Xcalak and Mahahual. Mayan Beach Gardens just north of Mahahual looks like a good place to stay. Look for more info on bill-in-tulsa.com.

Holbox beaches are flat - no wave action, no snorkle action. They are simply quiet beaches - if that's what you are looking for. Holbox would be really far out of the way if you're going to Costa Maya.