Yucatan Getaway: Itinerary Feedback Please!

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yucatan Getaway: Itinerary Feedback Please!

Hello Mexican Experts and Fodorite Friends!

I am crash-planning a quick getaway to Yucatan, Mexico. I normally plan my vacations for over a year but we decided to go on this trip last week ….targeting the Thanksgiving week! It’s really a honeymoon but we are not telling anyone we’re getting married so it’s a secret!!!!

Luckily I have Fodor’s to turn to in emergencies like this. My first DRAFT itinerary goes like this:

Day 1 – Nov 18 – fly SJU to CUN (arrive early in the afternoon) and go by rental or bus to Merida
Day 2 – Nov 19 – Merida / Town & ????
Day 3 – Nov 20 – Merida / Uxmal
Day 4 – Nov 21 – Depart Merida in morning and drive to Chichen Itza; spend the night
Day 5 – Nov 22 – go by rental or bus to Playa del Carmen
Day 6 – Nov 23 – Playa del Carmen /Tulum
Day 7 – Nov 24 – Playa del Carmen /Xcaret or Coba
Day 8 – Nov 25 – go by rental or bus to Cancun
Day 9 – Nov 26 – Cancun / Isla Mujeres?
Day 10 – Nov 27 – Cancun / Cozumel?
Day 11 – Nov 28 – Fly back CUN-SJU

We are not looking for a big splurge, no-holds-barred honeymoon. After all….we have traveled together for many years now!

We’d rather go to small, quaint hotels than to luxury mega-resorts. I would like to budget $100 a night for hotels but we can be flexible.

We have an active lifestyle and like to explore on our own.

I am not sure I want to do all-inclusive as we are adventuresome eaters

We are not big on nightlife but we do like to be on the beach and relax (I have doubts about Cancun for us…..)

Feedback on itinerary, things to do, rental vs. bus, and hotels will be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Anybody?
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Pausanias

Good time to visit Merida -- things will be hopping on the weekend.

You might spend the night of Nov 20th in Uxmal. This will give you time to also visit the Puuc cities and Loltun cave.

You can avoid the mega-resorts of Chichen Itza by staying in Valladolid. Try to get to Ek Balam when you are in the area, wherever you stay.

The ferry to Cozumel leaves from PDC, so it makes sense to visit while there, and not backtrack from Cancun.

If you think Cancun (or PDC) might not be for you, consider staying in Akumal or Tulum.

We made a similar trip using busses and hiring cars & drivers, but renting a car may give you more flexibility.

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:18 PM

I'm flying into Merida for 8 nights on 11/09. Was there 2 years ago & wanted to return. We stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Dolores Alba www.doloresalba.com. They also have a hotel near Chichen Itza & run a van that will drop you off at the back gate. This time we're staying at the Hotel Luz en Yucatan www.luzenyucatan.com in Merida & at Maria de la Luz in Valladolid (near Chichen Itza). www.travel-rivieramaya.com/mariadelaluz All are ~$40 American.

You can bus from Cancun to Merida ~4 hrs, also from Merida to Chichen Itza or to Valladolid ~2 hrs.

There is a bus in Merida that takes you on a full-day (~6 hr?) trip to 5 Puuc Maya sites including Uxmal. You spend about 30 min at each of the first 4, then about an hour at Uxmal. It's cheap & well worth your time. You can find out about it there, or if you want to know in advance I can give you more info. Email me at [email protected].

Merida has an all-day party in the centro every Sunday called Domingo en Merida. I missed it the last time but definitely plan on catching it this time. They also have a couple of events on Saturday evening, since you'll be there then too.

Most of the northern part of the Riviera Maya (Tulum to Cancun) is pretty touristy; Tulum is worth seeing, as is Isla Mujeres. I'm not much of a beach person; I like the ocean more for its natural & scenic value, which there's not a lot of around Cancun; the town isn't too hot either.

I'm much more impressed with the colonial cities (Merida, Valladolid, Izamal, & this year we'll be seeing Campeche on the West coast).

I can send you a list (sort of an itinerary) I've compiled of things to see in & around those places if you're interested. A good source of info in English is www.yucatantoday.com.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 05:59 AM

hi, on day 7 you might go to xel-ha instead of xcaret. xcaret is more expensive and a bit more disney like. xel-ha more of an eco-park.
i would skip cancun and stay in playa or south of there. there is a lot to see and do in the area. take a look at www.locogringo.com for info or Every sort. you can take the ferry to cozumel for a day. you definetly sound like rental car people to me. sounds like a great honeymoon. where are you getting married?
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! I will research all the great ideas.

I just have a nagging feeling that Cancun will not be our cookie....BUT there is currently great airfare(SJU-MIA-CUN) that we want to take advantege of!

Virginia - we're getting married in our backyard as a surprise for our regular pre-Thanksgiving dinner
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Congratulations and have a great trip!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

We are re-thinking our entire itinerary and might skip Cancun altogether! We will spend the first night close to Ek Balam (sp?) and then on to Chichen Itza. We are thinking of spending one in Merida and two nights in Uxmal. Then Tulum and PDC for three nigths.

As soon as we figure it out I will post the new schedule
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

OK!!! Thanks to all. This is the current itinerary please feel free to make suggestions:

Day 1 - Fly SJU-CUN-MID drive to Ek Balaam Overnight: Ek Balaam
Day 2 - Visit Ek Balam and Chichen Itza Overnight: Chichen Itza
Day 3- Drive to Merida and visit town Overnight: Merida
Day 4 - Drive to Uxmal and visit Uxmal Overnight: Uxmal
Day 5 - Visit puuc,caves, drive to Tulum Overnight???
Day 6 - Tulum/Coba Overnight: Tulum
Day 7 - Xel-Ha Overnight: Tulum or PDC
Day 8 - Playa del Carmen Overnight: PDC
Day 9 - Playa del Carmen Overnight: PDC
Day 10- Drive from PDC to CUN fly home
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Pausanias

Flying to Merida is OK --I did it, but thunderstorms delayed the flight and we might as well have driven. I don't see why you want to backtrack from CI to Merida before going to Uxmal, though. Wouldn't it make more sense to drive and stop at Ek Balam/CI on the way to Merida?

Personally,I think I'd do it this way:

1 -- Fly to Cancun, rent a car, drive to Merida.
2 -- Merida
3 -- Uxmal, spend the night.
4 -- Puuc cities A.M./Drive to Valladolid
5 -- AM, drive early to CI to avoid the bus groups (it's about 20 miles). Return to Valladolid.
6 -- AM, visit Ek Balam. PM, drive to Coba, spend night or continue on to Tulum.
7,8,9, 10 as described

I think this has a minimum of backtracking. Do try to arrange your stay so you're in Merida for Saturday and Sunday.

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:44 AM

I'm jumping in late, but I second the Xel-ha recommendation (if you snorkel) and staying out of Cancun. Tulum is very very quiet so if you prefer more action and restaurant choices PDC is probably a good idea. If you're avid snorkelers...you might want to throw in a night or two at Akumal. You really shouldn't miss Yal-Ku lagoon...again, if you snorkel. Have fun!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! This is the final itinerary:

Day 1 - Arrive in Cancun, pick up rental car and drive to Ek Balam

Day 2 - Visit Ek Balam and drive to Uxmal and see the caves or the small Puuc sites if we have time (stay in Uxmal)

Day 3 - Visit Uxmal and drive to Merida

Day 4 - Merida

Day 5 - Drive to Chichen Itza and visit in the afternoon (stay in Chichen)

Day 6 - Drive to Coba and visit maybe go to Tulum and (stay in Tulum)

Day 7 - visit Xel-Ha and drive to Playa del Carmen

Day 8-9 Playa del Carmen

Day 10 - Drive from Playa to Cancun and fly home.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Hi Marigross - I recognize you from the Spain board! Congrats -- it looks like you are planning a wonderful trip.

TULUM: If you overnight in Tulum, there are some good recent threads on this board about places.

I'm taking my husband (shhhh - it's a surprise, hopefully he's not reading ) for his birthday at the beginning of December. We are not mega-resort or AI people. If we come back with the kids or a bigger crowd I could see renting a condo or villa, maybe Akumul, but for this four day weekend, just the two of us getaway, I have "palapas right on the beach but not too primative" in mind and Tulum fits that bill.

Some places I am looking at on the Tulum beach, just south of the ruins: Shambala Petit Hotel, Posada Lamar, Tita Tulum, and Tierras del Sol. La Conchita looks cool too, but it's booked the weekend we will be there. There's good info, reviews and photos of each of these places on tripadvisor too.

Have fun planning and have more fun on your trip. I definitely want to get to Merida on the next trip, so I'd love to see a trip report if you find the time to take notes on your honeymoone ;-). Best wishes!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Pausanias

Sounds great. Let us know how you liked it when you return.

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Did a similar trip last April. Try Casa Esperanza in Merida--great little B&B--short walk to zocalo--which will be noisy on the weekend--lots of music and dancing. We opted out of Cancun--knew it wouldn't be our cup of tea. We stayed in Tulum at HOtel Maya Tulum--not on the beach (we had a/c all night long), but close enough to both town and beach. We got a B&B deal there, too--very good food and drinks. We day-tripped from Tulum to Coba, Yalku (snorkeling lagoon) and Tulum ruins, spending each afternoon on the beach at Playa Paradiso Beach Club (Tulum). In Uxmal, we stayed at the Mision--just far enough from the ruins that you had a great view of them. Enjoy!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Only 11 days to go, I'm so excited!!!!

I think we will wing the Tulum night. We are kind of uncertain of how much progress we will make that day. Should we stay in Cobá?