Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Yelapa? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/yelapa-722816/)

barefootmum Jul 21st, 2007 09:02 PM

Yelapa?

Hi guys,

I've booked the Hotel Lagunita for my family (which consists of myself, husband, 17 year old, 11 year old, 9 year old and 7 year old), for shortly after Christmas. I plan to have 9 full days in Yelapa.

I love the look of the hotel and think Yelapa sounds magical, but would welcome the advice of fellow travelers who've spent any time there, as to whether it's a good bet for that length of time.

We don't need 'entertaining', hate big resorts and enjoy snorkeling, nature, food, horses, boats, books, beach and diving!

My younger children hate being rushed around cultural sites and prefer to find their own fun, which is why I thought of Yelapa, but my husband, eldest son and myself enjoy seeing something of the country we’re in, towns, ruins etc.

Is 9 days too long? Even though we crave peace and nature, are we likely to need more to do? Can you guys recommend anywhere else with a similar vibe but more to see?

We travel from Los Angeles.

faithie Jul 22nd, 2007 04:18 AM

I was in Yelapa for 5 nights with my family. Search for my trip report. We stayed at Lagunita and loved it, and also loved Yelapa. I would combine it with Sayulita(stay at Playa-Esocndida) or in Chacala(Mar de Jade or Majhua sp?)

faithie Jul 22nd, 2007 04:33 AM

www.playa-escondida.com
www.majahua.com
www.mardejade.com

for a night in the Old Town of Puerto Vallarta try Posada de Roger, great little spot and the town is worth exploring.

We took the panga out of Boca de Tomatlan as opposed to catching it at the pier in Puerto Vallarta, this boats hugs the coast and it's very scenic. Put faithie and Yelapa in the search box to see details, I think the link to my pics on webshots is there also. I have TONS of pics of Yelapa, Hotel Lagunita etc.

faithie Jul 22nd, 2007 04:35 AM

Sorry, me again! The trip report is called "Paradise FOUND! faithies kind...

barefootmum Jul 22nd, 2007 08:16 AM

Hi Faithie,

Thanks for your reply. I've looked at 'Paradise Found-Faithies Kind' and sent it straight on to my husband who is away in NY, so he can get a feeling for Yelapa too!

I've also checked out some of your snaps with my youngest sitting next to me, there were lots of oohs and aahs from both of us!

My gut feeling was that 9 days is too long in one place and I love the look of the places you sent links to; we'll definitely spilt our holiday.

Hotel Lagunita has offered two rooms with an ocean view. They are adjoining and have two double beds in each, as my younger kids never mind sleeping together; are there any room numbers with this configuration you'd recommend over others?

Thanks

faithie Jul 22nd, 2007 10:01 AM

At Lagunita tHEY ARE USUALLY PRETTY QUICK TO REPLY.... SO i'D ASK THEM WHICH ONES THEY HAD IN MIND? oR i'LL GO THROUGH MY INFO, as i BELIEVE i MARKED DOWN THE NICER rooms. (although it's pretty hard to go wrong here) The food is delicious, breakfast with toes in the sand, supper with the best margaritas ever, the kids fell in love with "limonada", fresh salsa to die for.....

Oops! Sorry for the caps, kids playing on computer!

faithie Jul 22nd, 2007 10:08 AM

room descriptions are in my report actually, I just skimmed through. 25 & 26 sit high in back, I liked them. But as I said it would be hard to go wrong. 10 & 11 are next to pool so you could be on your deck and watch the kids....

barefootmum Jul 22nd, 2007 12:12 PM

Thanks again Faithie.

Lagunita have been great about replying, so I'll check in about rooms with them in the morning, after working out tonight which of the other hotels to stay in for the second part of our holiday!

Have you stayed in all three of the hotels you sent links to? If so, do you have a favourite?

I love researching holidays and have never been disappointed with my trips so far!

faithie Jul 22nd, 2007 01:59 PM

Not all 3, just Lagunita.
I think we are going to try Lsagunita/Playa Escondida combo.

suze Jul 22nd, 2007 06:51 PM

9 days would be too long for me in Yelapa, I'd want to mix it with a few days kicking around in the Old Town in Puerto Vallarta.

barefootmum Jul 23rd, 2007 07:05 AM

...so I've just booked at Lagunita from Dec 26th until Jan 1st! Now to find a second place until our flight back on Jan 6th!

My husband has been in PV quite a few times with his job, and really wants to explore elsewhere.

I'm thinking of Chacala or maybe south, somewhere before Manzanillo, but I'm very aware of distance and realise we don't have much time in the second location.

Suggestions?

faithie Jul 23rd, 2007 09:19 AM

I think you will like Lagunita, as long as you are not expecting 4 Seasons luxury!!!

to get a better feel for Chacala look at mylifeinchacla.blogspot.com

barefootmum Jul 23rd, 2007 09:55 AM

...not Four Seasons types! The last place I stayed in Mexico (Tulum) had no electricity and we shared with an iguana!

I'm being totally indecisive about where to go for the second part of the trip...

suze Jul 23rd, 2007 11:11 AM

What about somewhere closer in to PV, to the north along the caost... up to Bucerias, San Pancho or Sayulita?

barefootmum Jul 23rd, 2007 12:10 PM

Just back from the books shop clutching two guides on the Pacific Coast and PV.

Thinking we will go north of Vallerta (Faithie sent links to three great hotels up there) so I'm going to read about the Nayarit coast.

Struck by the lovely beach and (usually) gentle ocean at Chacala...

barefootmum Jul 23rd, 2007 12:12 PM

Me again! Faithie - I couldn't get into that blog spot you suggested. Any thoughts?

faithie Jul 23rd, 2007 12:40 PM

I know, it didn't work, hmmmmm. Just google "My life in Chacala". It will come up. She has TONS of pictures, information, views, etc. It's a very interesting read. It's still "off the beaten track", so is probably what Sayulita was like 10 years ago. She loves Majahua & is friends with the Mexican artist owners, it sits just above Hotel Mar de Jade in the jungle.

But then again, doesn't Hotel Playa Escondida in Sayulita look great?!m Decisions, decisions!!

faithie Jul 23rd, 2007 12:51 PM

In Chacala there is a very pretty tiny cove beach that local fisherman will take you to for a picnic. You really need to google that site, it's truly interesting. I feel like I know the place already!

barefootmum Jul 23rd, 2007 12:52 PM

I'll Google 'My life...' in a mo. You're right, Hotel Playa Escondida does look great and I did a quick check on Trip advisor and found mostly rave reviews about it.

The downside seems that the surf can be overpowering, which is fine for my 17 year old, but not great for my 7 year old, though they manage on Zuma beach here and that can have huge waves!

I've already left a message on their US number to see if they can accommodate our family from Jan 1st to Jan 6th. I'll call them back now.

I must work out how long it'll take to get there from leaving the boat from Yelapa, though getting somewhere is also part of the fun for my lot!

Our flight back on Jan 6th doesn't leave until about 5pm, so we'll have time to get back down to PV.

faithie Jul 23rd, 2007 12:55 PM

Ok try
http://www.mylifeinchacala.blogspot.com

Maybe the little private beach is a bit calmer at Playa Escondida? Thats always a consideration for us as well. Chacal looks sweet.