xcaret or xelha?

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Brandi

xcaret or xelha?

We will only go to one of the above areas, but not sure which one to choose? Fiance is interested in major snorkeling, I like to lounge in the water, intermingled with snorkeling. He also wants to try snuba. Thoughts? Also, we both have Nike sandals that we've always worn in the water (i.e. you can hike in them AND swim in them) Will these resorts allow those in the water?

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 01:12 PM
jbrooks

These two parks are different and I would suggest hitting both if you can. Xel-ha is better for snorkeling in a more natural environment. You could actually spend a 1/2 day here if that's all your schedule allows. A lot of people do 1/2 day at the Tulum ruins and 1/2 day Xel-ha on the same trip...I think a good combination. But for more of a relaxing day...I could sepnd a day here.

Xcarat is a great "eco-park", it has ruins, animals, swim with dolphins, cave snorkeling (although the fish are not great, it is interesting...and cold). We had a great time here swimming with dolphins. Its expensive but a lot of fun! Also, the nightly show at Xcarat is a must-see if you go. The singing and dancing are similar to what you'd expect at a $100 las vegas show...not a tourist park in mexico. Definitely stay if you go to Xcarat to see this show. Another suggestion..they are not that far apart. Go to Xelha in the morning when it is less crowded (not sure when it opens) and spend the afternoon and evening at Xcarat. That way, you'd get the the best of both worlds if its your time that is limited. Have fun! I hope this helps!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Susan

We also enjoyed Xcaret, although we can't compare it to Xelha because we never have made it there. We were in Playa del Carmen 3 years ago (I think) and didn't go to Xcaret. We then went over to Cozumel for a few days, met up with other Canadians and they really recommended it. So we took the ferry over and spent the day and evening there. They also had recommended the evening show and we were happy we stayed. There is a lot there. The admission was $40 USD at the time and we started off saying that it was expensive - at the end of the evening, we were saying 'all that, for only $40!' We don't generally enjoy that kind of experience, but it was fun. The entertainment in the evening included a couple of 'new age' singers - they were incredible.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 03:43 AM
gina

Brandi,

I agree with jbrooks in that you should try to see both! However, if snorkelling is your thing, don't miss Xel-ha. We did the Xel-ha/Tulum tour and ended up sending the bus back to the resort without us. We just couldn't leave as early as they wanted! We took a cab back for $14 and it was well worth the extra time we got to spend snorkelling.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Cindy

Went to Xel-ha last May. Took the tour to Tulum and Xel-ha which was all-inclusive (would of liked more time at Xel-ha) would highly recommend - the park is absoltely beautiful. There's plenty of snorkeling, walking trails and tubes for leasure.
P.S. Food is good too!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Sandy

Brandi, I agree with Susan in that Xcaret has a lot to offer. Her suggestion about 1/2 day at Xel-Ha and 1/2 day at Xcaret is a good idea. We spent the day after Christmas 2000 at Xcaret and had a great time. Like, Susan, my first impression when we got there was, "Oh my goodness, what are we going to do here all day long?" Then you realize all the activities you can participate in. If you are going to do a dolphin swim, I would recommend visiting the Xcaret website to make a reservation because of the limited number of spaces. That's what we did, and we saw a lot of disappointed people who were turned away because they hadn't.

Have fun!