Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Wondering about lodging in Tulum and South. Also, please tell me about Soliman Bay and Tankah Bay

Wondering about lodging in Tulum and South. Also, please tell me about Soliman Bay and Tankah Bay

Jul 20th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

I am just starting to plan a vacation to Tulum. I lived down there twenty years ago and have been back quite a few times over the years but things change so quickly and dramatically there that I wanted to check in.

I am planning a trip for our family of three and we may add a few friends if they decide to come along. I have been looking at cabanas in Tulum, thinking that we could add cabanas if more friends decide to come. I have also started looking at houses along the coast.

My priorities are: beautiful beach, nice water without grass or rocks, aesthetically pleasing lodging, quiet and relaxing. Our price range is $100-$200 night (per couple).

I have been wondering about some of the newer little places on the beach in Tulum or further south. Any suggestions?

Also while looking for houses, there seem to be a lot available in Soliman Bay and Tankah Bay. Could anyone tell me about these places? I do not even know where they are. Would like to know what the beach and water are like, how crowded, what the vibe is, etc.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Oh, if there is some where else that you think that we might like, I would love to hear about it!!
Jul 21st, 2008, 03:59 AM

Sparkle, As much as I love "Fodors Talk" forum, I found for my upcoming trip to Tulum that the greatest info (and group of enthusisatic Tulum goers) is at Tulum.info.com
Any info on all the hotels, areas, expeditions, restaurants can be found there.
Try it; I am sure you will find everything you need to plan a great trip to Tulum,
CC
Jul 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, CC! I will head over there now!!
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

I am not sure if that is the correct address -?
Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:30 AM

www.tulum.info
no com
Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM

You might also want to check out locogringo.com. They have a lot of lodging listings for those places, as well as a very active message board, including one board for Tulum only.
Jul 28th, 2008, 02:29 PM

I have stayed in houses at both Soliman and Tankah. Soliman Bay has great snorkeling but you have to get past about 20 feet of turtle grass. Then the bottom is beautiful white sand. There are a number of coral heads to snorkel around and of course the reef. Tankah Bay also has great snorkeling. We stayed in a house next to Casa Cenote and the bottom was limestone and coral. I love both places and can recommend several houses if you are interested. For beautiful sandy beaches Tulum is my favorite. Lots of nice places to stay in Tulum. Akumal is another place to consider. The beach in front of Akumal Beach Resort is nice. Have a great trip!
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Some of the beach hotels in Tulum have been closed by the government in the past two weeks. Didn't know if you were aware of that.
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the help! I did know about the hotel closures. A little scary. It would be terrible to have it happen to your hotel while you were there. When I lived down there twenty years ago it seems like the federales had a heavy prescence.

Thank you for alerting me to the sea grass. Although that would not bother most people, it would bother me. I like to float and body board and body surf more then snorkel. It does sound like we should head over there for a snorkel. Is there a good place to do so?

We do like Akumal and have been there several times and stayed in the little cabanas on the main bay last time we are there. I think that it is very quaint there.

Thank you for replies!