Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Woman alone in puerto viejo (limon, costa rica)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an 18 year-old female and I'm planning a trip to CR. I would really like to go to The carribean coast, since I've been to other places in costa rica before (but never alone). I'm thinking of going to puerto viejo from san jose in june-july. I'm wondering if it is safe for me to travel alone. I plan on taking the bus. I've heard limon is less safe than some other provinces, but i don't plan on spending any time in the city of limon. any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM

That is a difficult question.

My wife and I have visited here, and had a wonderful time. The food was good, and there is some good nature and snorkeling. We were also the oldest gringos everywhere we went. So it is a place that attracts a younger crowd.

This area does not have the police budget that other areas have. Part of this, is that there is a very small tax base. But the locals seem to think that because the culture is different, it is a racial decision. To be frank, I don't know enough to give a truly informed opinion about the reasons for this situation.

But I do know that there are a lot fewer cops, and more drugs here than anywhere else in the country. And that never bodes well for personal safety.

We had our own car, and a few bucks in our pocket. We stayed in "better" hotels ($70 per night), and not the hostel type of hotel. At the risk of sounding condescending (I certainly don't mean to), we also had a certain degree of life experience and street smarts.

Maybe it is the dad in me. But I would not send an 18 year old there alone. Male or female.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Pat Hewitt
(Travel Professional)
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM

betts20e,
I'm glad you are asking this question. And I have to agree with Pat that it is a difficult question. It is one of my favorite areas of Costa Rica. My husband and I have visited many times, and my daughter and I have spent a few days there as well (2 gals alone).

We get up early (for birding, usually) and go to bed early. We don't "hang out". There is a very different culture here, strong drug presence as Pat mentions, and consequently the area attracts those who like to participate in that atmosphere, as well as the rest of us!

I don't know you, don't know what you are looking for exactly, and chances are you'd be just fine. That said, you WOULD be putting yourself at risk by simply being alone there and by being young and perhaps interested in hanging out with other young people, whom you won't know. In fact, it would seem odd to me if your plans were to go there and NOT seek out other young people.

I've been dealing with this issue a bit myself lately, as I will be in the country alone for 4 weeks this summer. I like to go birding and always make a point of doing it in this same area. However, I'm not feeling very comfortable with it right now. Not sure what I will do. And I'm 53 years old with no plans to "mingle".

Like Pat, if you were my child, knowing what I know about the area, I'd be a basket case for you to go there alone. Wouldn't be comfortable with it at all. I know that you are probably not naive within your regular surroundings, but it is very hard to visit an new area in another country (particularly an area like Puerto Viejo) without being naive. I wish there weren't an "element" there capable of recognizing and preying on unsuspecting visitors, but there is. Please consider this very carefully!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM

betts, I'm rereading your post. The traveling alone part isn't the problem. It's the arrival and being there part that would concern me. I'm probably reading your post too literally, but the way you worded it sounds more like you are concerned with GETTING there safely. I wouldn't think that would be your main concern.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate your honesty. I am re-thinking my plans, but I may have found a friend (who has been to puerto viejo before and has contacts there) to travel with. I do plan on trying to meet other young people, but i'm not much of a partier, I just want to relax on the beach (during the day) and experience a different part of Costa Rican culture. I'd also like to add that I'm fluent in spanish, not that this would necesarily help me safety-wise, but i'm not too worried about the aspect of communication. Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep you posted on my plans. If you don't think I should go to puerto viejo, do you have any suggestions for another destination that isn't super expensive, has beaches, and isn't ridiculously touristy (trying to avoid some place like tamarindo). Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM

I agree with everyone that it's a difficult question. I disagree with Pat about the drugs. They do exist on the Caribbean coast and have a reputation for being in greatest supply there, but, seriously, if I wanted drugs (which I don't, let me emphasize) I'd go to Jaco or Tamarindo or stay in San Jose these days. The drugs and related crime are a far bigger problem in those places than on the Caribbean.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Well betts, you sound like a very level headed person. And no doubt Jeff is correct that there is plenty of trouble to get into all over the country, should one be looking or be careless.

No matter where you choose to travel in Costa Rica, being alone will be an issue with regard to increased incidences of crime. I do think, though, that there are some quieter areas where you might feel a little more secure. One that comes to mind is Playa Potrero. When our daughter was alone and in school, she stayed in some little cabinas (Isolina) and would get out and walk even at night with people she had met through the school experience. On Wednesdays, they went to Las Brisas for Ladies' Night, and dancing, etc.

Another laid back beach where you might feel safer is Malpais/Ste. Teresa area (surfing country). Someone else want to weigh in on this area since it's been a couple of years since I was there?

I'm pretty sure you already know that you need to remain aware and alert during all circumstances, all areas. There are some very nice people, yes, young men, in Costa Rica who would be excellent to hang with. But that said, you should avoid coming to trust anyone within a few hours and ending up alone with them late at night or into the wee hours. You already know that probably as well.

Pat mentioned the police presence (or lack thereof) in the Puerto Viejo area. It's less all over the country than what we are all used to here in the states. Fewer on the force and less efficient. Very little pay, and not much incentive to aggressively pursue crime of any kind. That factors into your question and raises the risk for all of us. It's just that someone like me, traveling with my husband or even alone (as a 53 year old) is going to be less at risk than a pretty 18 year old!
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

I never posted a trip report, but I thought that this thread might be useful for someone else, so I'd like to say a little bit about my trip.

Yes, I ended up going to Puerto Viejo (alone), and I loved it! I stayed at rocking J's hostel, which was cheap and a fun experience. I chose it because i expected to find other young travelers there, which I did. It was great, because I made some friends who I was able to go places with, and I was able to go into town at night with them. I never went out alone at night, for obvious reasons. I really felt very comfortable there for almost the whole trip. The one problem with Rockin J's is that it is down the road on the outskirts of town, so it's a little scary walking back at night (even with other people).
The beaches were AMAZING (clear, warm water), the people were very friendly, the music was fun, and the atmosphere was very chill.

It was a fantastic trip, and I am very glad I went. If there are any women thinking of going alone and wondering if it's a good idea, I would definitely reccomend it. As long as you take normal precautions, don't do stupid things (like go out alone at night), then you should be fine, and have a blast.

Puerto Viejo is definitely a great spot to hit for some relaxing, and a nice experience of a different part of Costa Rican culture.

Thanks everyone for the advice, and if anyone has questions about PV or Costa Rica in general, I'd be happy to answer them with more detail!