Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Wine tasting/buying in Buenos Aires? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/wine-tasting-buying-in-buenos-aires-630380/)

MonaManuel Jul 12th, 2006 09:00 AM

Wine tasting/buying in Buenos Aires?

Having had to cut Mendoza from the itinerary of my upcoming trip to Argentina, I was wondering if there were any places in Buenos Aires that I could visit for a wine tasting. (Happily, I will be visiting Cafayate, so I suppose I will be able to take in some Torrontes up there.)

Also, where does one purchase good wine in BA? Where I live, the best wines are sold exclusively by the government-run liquor stores, while table wines are sold at supermarkets and swill is sold at convenience stores. I don't want to make the error over there of thinking I'm getting a great deal when I'm actually buying poor wine.

drdawggy Jul 12th, 2006 10:18 AM

Wine stores sometimes offer wine tastings....and many restaurants/bars offer a variety of wines by the glass....Bar Uriarte and Gran Bar Danzon each offer some excellent wines by the glass..as does the Winery, which is both a restaurant and wine store.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that Cayafate is limited to Torrontes...In the north, try the red corte wines offered by San Pedro de Yacochuya...some of the best wines in Argentina and all of South America.

flintstones Jul 12th, 2006 11:38 AM

The only place for Torrontes is SAlta, this kind of grapes can not be produced except in the paradise Cafayate is...
And besides, there is nothing as drinking the wines in the place they are produced...and I do not htink you can taste them except in the wineries (factories)...
Flint

drdawggy Jul 12th, 2006 12:01 PM

I don't care much for Torrontes, in the factory or not....but the red wines from this region are among the best I have tried anywhere!

avrooster Jul 12th, 2006 12:51 PM

Angie Flint: San Pedro de Yacochuya is in or near Cafayate, right? Therefore, MonaManuel can try there the "red corte wines" (whatever THAT is) suggested by TOP Expert drdawggy, who says "the red wines from this region are among the best I have tried anywhere!"

Viva Salta!!!!

mikemo Jul 12th, 2006 01:07 PM

Been buying and drinking wine for 45+ years and the Argentines are among the best bang for the buck currently.
J&F Lurton make a really great Pinot Gris (pinot grigio same grape) if you need an inexpensive white.
I'm slurping a '05 Trivento Shiraz-Malbec while waiting for my Lux Link Chile bid to be confirmed ahora.
Buen viaje y Buen Provecho!
M (SMdA, Gto., MX)

saltshaker Jul 13th, 2006 04:34 AM

There are numerous wine shops in BsAs, including several chains that have shops all around the city, like Winery, Tonel Privado, Ligier, and one or two others. For more exclusive stuff, like trying to find something at the high end, or limited production, try Grand Cru in Recoleta, or Terroir in Palermo Chico (which also offers wine tastings and shipping to the US)

flintstones Jul 14th, 2006 06:00 AM

The San pedro de YAcochuya is one of the best wines because they are from the highest lands... But even the cheapest wine served as "vino de la casa" in any restaurant is good... That is a Domingo Hermanos or... Sunaday Bros. As you want...LOL
Seriously,... if DD says it is among the best wines...

avrooster Jul 14th, 2006 08:21 AM

Angie/Flint/Giena: Seriously,... if DD says it is among the best wines... YOU CAN BET IT IS, BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT AND HAS TRIED QUITE A FEW!!!! LOL!!!!