Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Will anyone be in Oaxaca, 9/21-10/10? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/will-anyone-be-in-oaxaca-9-21-10-10-a-1047315/)

MmePerdu Jun 5th, 2015 12:42 PM

Will anyone be in Oaxaca, 9/21-10/10?

I travel alone, as a rule, and like it well enough, but it would be fun to meet up with anyone who also plans to be in Oaxaca, between Sept. 21 and Oct. 10. Meet for coffee or lunch/dinner, share a day trip, whatever you like.

MmePerdu Jun 17th, 2015 12:39 PM

A day trip I hope to take is one of Alvin Starkman's mezcal distillery tours.

http://www.mezcaleducationaltours.com

Several of us would make it less expensive and, I think, more fun.

emd3 Jun 17th, 2015 05:37 PM

You can taste and talk to several good mezcal distillers and sample and buy their mezcals if you go to the Sunday market in Tlacaloula, 30 min by bus from Oaxaca city. Great market day on Sunday there. You can do that on your own.

MmePerdu Jun 17th, 2015 07:52 PM

Thanks emd3. I do plan to go to some markets out of town and I appreciate the recommendation.

I did a vineyard/wine tasting tour in Burgundy with 3 people I didn't know and had such a nice time that if I can get connected to do a mezcal tour I thought it might be fun too. They aren't expensive and the fellow running them is keeping me in mind but I thought no harm in mentioning it here.

I'll be in Oaxaca for 3 weeks so have time for several outings.

MmePerdu Jul 4th, 2015 12:32 PM

Just checking again. In particular, for the above mentioned mezcal tour which would be much more fun with at least a couple more people:

http://www.mezcaleducationaltours.com

MmePerdu Jul 28th, 2015 02:41 PM

Lunch, dinner, coffee? Hope springs eternal.

suze Jul 31st, 2015 12:28 PM

Do you post on Trip Advisor forums as well? There's just not that many Mexico travelers here on Fodor's. And the TA Mexico forums (at least the ones I post on) are very active).

MmePerdu Jul 31st, 2015 12:50 PM

No, I don't post on TA, although I've done reviews. Thanks for the tip, suze. I'll give it a try.

suze Jul 31st, 2015 01:03 PM

plus Trip Advisor has a PM function so you can email other posters privately. That's how I've made some of my best connections in Puerto Vallarta.

The PV forum has regular weekly "meet & greets" you'd be invited to, I've had breakfast or lunch arranged with other solo travelers, gotten tips for private rentals, etc.

You'll want to be specifically on the Oaxaca forum for this trip. I have no idea how busy it is there, but both Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas have a fantastic, enthusiastic group of people supporting the boards there.

MmePerdu Jul 31st, 2015 01:24 PM

I've just posted and at first glance it doesn't look very busy. I'll have a look on PV & Cabo to see what busy looks like.

I'm just beginning my Mexico explorations after annual treks to Europe & Asia for years. I lived 25 years on the border and only made 1 real trip south, ironically. Lots of day trips for various reasons but now that I'm farther away I've decided to have a good look and see if it's a place I'll enjoy for regular visits.

suze Jul 31st, 2015 01:59 PM

I've been going to Puerto Vallarta at least once a year for a couple decades (I think my fall is trip #25). I've been also to Cabo and La Paz on the Baja, one trip each. I'm very interested in the colonial cities but, for now, don't want to give up having a beach.

MmePerdu Jul 31st, 2015 02:07 PM

I don't yearn for beach. But if you ever decide to try a colonial city, let me know. You can use that nifty messaging on TA to get in touch (different name but you'll find me on "Oaxaca").

flpab Aug 2nd, 2015 12:31 PM

MmePerdu, this is as good as messaging gets on fodors. Just read your disdainful remark. You are so on, I even wrote to fodors about her this week. Mean little disdainful biddy. Have fun planning your trip. My niece taught for four years in Guadalajara.

MmePerdu Aug 2nd, 2015 12:58 PM

I love your private messaging, flpab! Emphasis on "mean, little". When it's a man I call it short man's syndrome, overcompensation. But have learned here there's a female equivalent that's even worse.

I took suze's advice above, posted on Trip Advisor and have now arranged the day tour with a couple who will be there too. Thanks again. And thanks, suze.

flpab Aug 2nd, 2015 02:15 PM

That is great. TA is good.

Leely2 Aug 2nd, 2015 03:52 PM

MmePerdu, I am just wrapping up my time in Oaxaca. It is very beautiful! I am a committed big-city person, but this place has charm galore. Do you plan to visit pre-Hispanic ruins? They are magnificent.

MmePerdu Aug 2nd, 2015 04:01 PM

I hope to, Leely. I'm not a tour taker as a rule but in this case there may be an advantage. I've read that it's possible to take public buses but I really am seeming to lose my taste for wandering the globe alone. A small group tour may be in the cards. I'd also like to visit out-of-town markets and could return to my favorites another time after a tour-based introduction.

Leely2 Aug 2nd, 2015 04:28 PM

My friends and I have taken several tours this trip, without planning to. Just sort of fell into them. Yesterday I went to Monte Alban and the old convent at Cuilapan. It was a small group tour and everyone else was Mexican (from Tijuana, Mexicali, DF, and Puebla). So because I understand very little Spanish it was sort of like being in my own little bubble. The downside was having to stop at a few touristy markets. But it was an adventure. I'm sure you'll find it easy to get around.

The pre-Hispanic sites have been my favorite part of this trip.

Food is great, by the way. No surprise there.

MmePerdu Aug 2nd, 2015 04:42 PM

A mole-lover, the food was the spark that set this all off (I'm in N. CA, not sure about that imagery). I'm happy to hear you're loving it and that tours are a viable option. I took a tour once in S. China with no English-speakers for miles around. It's fine as long as nothing goes wrong. But that's a story for another day.

Who offers the tour you mention?

Leely2 Aug 3rd, 2015 07:18 AM

I'll find the card they gave me, but honestly these things are easy to arrange on a whim here, which is how we did them. No hay problema.