Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Why ... It's off to Yelapa !! ( not Panama or Costa Rica this time ' round ! )

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start .... Thank You to those who gave advice when I was frantically trying to get the trip together for Panama a few days ago . The variables didn't work out ( I will go ! ) . So . We are actually off to Puerto Vallarta and " Yelapa " ! We are going to be 2 nights in PV in the romantic zone , at a funky budget hotel The Posada Roger . I hope and think this area is close to the "old zone " .. ? Then it's off to Yelapa on water taxi from Boca de Tomalton , we will stay at Hotel Lagunita ( www.hotel-lagunita.com ) . I am really excited , and as of yet the children are still in the dark about this trip !!! Lots of sneaking around for mommy . Anyone have any ideas of water temp. ? Hoping it's comfortable , Yelapa is a tiny cove in the bay so perhaps it will be warmer ? Anyway , thanx Fodorite friends , tommorow I shall be in Suze and Frankies beloved Puerto Vallarta !!!!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Posada Roger is in the heart of Old Town. Check out a few rooms as some are noisy (disco side) & some are a bit dark. Over all a great if a bit funky hotel. The only place I have stayed in Yelpa is the old beach hotel & that was 15 years ago so can not comment.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

The hotel in Yelapa gets awesome reviews ! We will not be spending much time in our room in PV . so ambience , locality , etc. were important . And the kids have their little pool si I think all is well ! Thanx
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Posada de Roger is in the heart of the Old Town (southside, Zona Romantica, no one can ever decide what to call "south of the river&quot! It's a fun hotel.

But -as mentioned above- the rooms are very different so ask at the front desk what is available when you arrive. Unless they are booked solid often they will let you take your pick from a couple different rooms.

Since you mention kids and the wonderful little pool at the hotel, you might like one of the 2nd floor rooms with the door that opens right out at pool level. Or rm 300 is a nice big family room with two small balconies facing Basilo Badillo.

Don't miss breakfast at the restaurant downstairs (Fredy's El Tucan), ask for a table on the patio. Delicious!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanx for the info. I had read that about the rooms . We arrive seriously late ! Actually we will probably get to the hotel at 1:30am , then up early eating , swimmming , exploring ..... I will make notes for the last nite on the return from Yelapa . Thanx
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

I dont think anyone has issues with you expressing your opinion . Perhaps the issue is more the "way" you express your opinion . Instead of a feeling of empathy and understanding towards the poverty you see , and stating that you personally find it too disturbing while on a vacation you worked hard to pay for , it seems you treat the poverty you see and the people more like a dirty disease you might catch .
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Big OOOPs !!! THAT was not meant for here ! Too funny . Sorry people . I must be super distracted ...... Perhaps a sign I need to keep outa that soon to be HOT post !!!! Apologies . Faith ( lol , kinda funny though )
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:18 PM

You should let the hotel know how late you will be arriving, if you haven't already. They normally lock up the gates/entry around midnight, but there is a nightwatchman there. I'm just not certain how you'd get checked in to a room at that time.

So *definitely* give them warning that you'll be arriving in the middle of the night so they can have someone there to help you.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

They do know , I called them directly last nite , and had previously Emailed them . Thanx for the heads up .....
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:34 PM

that's great... have fun and let us know how everything turns out. buena suerte!!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Have a great time Faithie!!!