Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Why go to Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/why-go-to-mexico-49077/)

ken Jul 21st, 1999 01:15 PM

Why go to Mexico?

Can anyone give me any reasons they would travel to Mexico, when they could go anywhere in the caribbean for the same price?

marilyn Jul 21st, 1999 01:39 PM

Ken, your question sort of staggers me, and I hope it is not meant as negatively as it sounds. I can only answer for myself that, although some--okay, probably most--people go to Mexico for a beach vacation, I go instead to try to sample some of the other delights of this huge country: the cosmopolitan atmosphere of Mexico City, which is like a tropical Paris; the beauties of the Colonial cities, which I have only begun to discover; the beautiful arts and crafts; the music; the delightful people--I could go on and on. I need a little culture and history even with a beach vacation, and for me, Mexico is by far the preferred destination.

Susan Jul 21st, 1999 03:31 PM

I agree with Marilyn. I used to go to the Caribbean and I've been to several of the islands. While I always enjoyed myself, I've never felt the urge to re-visit most of them (apart from the French islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique - we did enjoy the restaurants there!). However I have gone to Mexico many times and love it. It's a huge country and there's so much to see and do there. Like Marilyn, I also love the colonial cities like Guanajuato. Mexico City is amazing. Oaxaca is also wonderful. Each one of those cities is very different from the other. Even the coasts are very different from one another - the snorkeling in the Yucatan is wonderful, but I've also really enjoyed myself on the Pacific coast. As for cost, I guess it depends on where you stay - in my experience, I've found the islands to be more expensive than Mexico (although prices in Mexico also vary quite a bit). Like Marilyn, Mexico is the preferred destination for me when I want a winter getaway. <BR>

dan woodlief Jul 21st, 1999 03:45 PM

Ditto. I have not been to other places in the Caribbean, but I am pretty familiar with what is there from videos, books, and people who have travelled there. I have been to many parts of the Yucatan. Yes, you can find beaches anywhere, but for other activities it is hard to beat Mexico. I am particularly fascinated with the Mayan ruins and have visited several. They are truly amazing and exceeded all my expectations. There are also many other parts of Mexico that I hope to visit someday for the history and culture.

dan woodlief Jul 21st, 1999 03:46 PM

Ditto. I have not been to other places in the Caribbean, but I am pretty familiar with what is there from videos, books, and people who have travelled there. I have been to many parts of the Yucatan. Yes, you can find beaches anywhere, but for other activities it is hard to beat Mexico. I am particularly fascinated with the Mayan ruins and have visited several. They are truly amazing and exceeded all my expectations. Also, for someone who is interested in photography, Mexico is a land of great variety. There are also many other parts of Mexico that I hope to visit someday for the history and culture.

happyb Jul 21st, 1999 07:13 PM

<BR>I wouldn't. With Mexico's crime (http://travel.state.gov/mexico.html) and food problems I'd rather go to the Caribbean any day. <BR>

Cory Jul 22nd, 1999 09:09 AM

Crime? That's why you'd choose the Caribbean over Mexico? Yes, some islands are very safe (Cayman, etc.), but remember Jamaica is also in the Caribbean. And there are others. The big vacation spots in Mexico are just as safe as most Caribbean islands. I'll take Cancun over Jamaica anyday.

PT Jul 22nd, 1999 10:47 AM

Dear Ken, I am American and have lived in Puerto Vallarta for nearly 8 years. I have NEVER, NOT ONCE, had ANY type of bad experience, robbery...NADA. I have also worked in the Caribbean, the Dominican Republic to be exact and for the 4 months I was there, robbed 3 times and felt very, very unsafe! So! DO NOT always belive EVERYTHING that you read, as here in Puerto Vallarta, things are very safe. Reasons for traveling to Mexico? THE PEOPLE. They are a warm, friendly people with a culture so unbelievably unique...lessons that we can ALL learn! Gracias for listening..PT

Jeff Jul 22nd, 1999 01:12 PM

There's less crime in most of Mexico than almost anywhere in the US. Leaving out Mexico City and the border, Mexico is one of the safest places to spend time. The State Department Advisory doesn't give you any idea how it is in most of Mexico.

Cheryl Z. Jul 22nd, 1999 07:34 PM

<BR>For the wonderful food, beautiful villages, nice and polite local people, the safety, etc.... I could go on and on. The Caribbean does have clearer and prettier water, and beautiful beaches and I do enjoy it, but I still prefer PV especially.

nan Jul 23rd, 1999 09:26 AM

I have been to Mexico three times and to many of the caribbean islands as well. I believe there is crime anywhere you go. I have never experienced negative things in Mexico and I can't say that about parts of the caribbean (especially Jamaica). Mexicans are a kind people and take pride in good manners and hospitality. While in Bahamas and Jamaica, we experienced a "chip on the shoulder" attitude and many treated us poorly. As for the price, you can stay at a top of the line resort with an all-inclusive package for much less than most of the islands I have visited. Give it a try!

jim Jul 23rd, 1999 09:51 AM

Ken: <BR> You've gotta be kidding. Where can you go anywhere else in the Caribbean that's as good a deal as Cozumel or Cancun? I've been to Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Aruba and Barbados and Cozumel is friendlier, has better diving, better food and is cheaper than any of them. I love the Caribbean, but I'll always make a point of going to the Yucatan for a guaranteed wonderful time. <BR>

Sharon Jul 24th, 1999 03:24 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Yucatan called "the Mexican CARIBBEAN".....We have a Place in Akumal on the Caribbean and there we have the best of both worlds; beautiful beaches AND lots of culture to keep ourselves busy with. After all, you can only spend so much time at the beach. We NEVER get bored in Mexico, but I'm afraid if I lived on one of the islands I might come down with something called "island fever."

Dan Jul 29th, 1999 08:35 AM

I just returned from two months in the <BR>Yucatan and I would rephrase Ken's question; "can anyone give me any reasons they would travel anywhere in the Caribbean when they could go to Mexico for the same price?" <BR> <BR>Get a Fodor's guide to the Yucatan if <BR>you really don't understand why.

susan Jul 29th, 1999 10:54 AM

Dan, <BR> <BR>How fortunate you were to spend so long in the Yucatan! Was is all pleasure, or was there business as well? I have been to Cancun twice, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. Tell me what you did and why you would go back.

susan Jul 29th, 1999 10:58 AM

Dan, <BR> <BR>How fortunate you were to spend so long in the Yucatan! Was is all pleasure, or was there business as well? I have been to Cancun twice, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. Tell me what you did and why you would go back.

Pam Aug 3rd, 1999 01:22 PM

Cancun is less expensive than the Bahamas. I went to Atlantis in Paradise Island, Bahamas and spent $5,000 for two for 5 days, for two people. We had to purchase a expensive meal plan at Atlantis.They didn't nearly as many activities as Cancun. Everything was extremely expensive. We are doing the all inclusive Moon Palace in Cancun for 8 days for $2700. Airfare included. That also includes two day tours to the ruins and another boat trip to an island. The price swayed my decision.

cindy Aug 6th, 1999 07:14 PM

Ken, <BR> <BR>Obviously you have your head up your ass. Do a little research before you waste everyone's time.

Linda Aug 8th, 1999 08:49 AM

The people of Mexico are the most loving, warm people we have met anywhere. We have been to the caribbean a couple of times and loved it, but we go to Mexico at least once a year. We always stay at the best resorts for far less than the caribbean costs. PS: There is crime anywhere you go, just use common sense when you travel, or start thinking about Disney World (and you may not be safe there either. Not trying to be cruel, just making a point. We have traveled a lot, and the only bad experience was our own fault (lost tix and almost didnt get out of the country). I am preparing for our trip this year (2 weeks to PV) and am having trouble cutting down our activity list so we get enough beach time. There is so much to do! and see and eat and drink! GO, ENJOY!!