Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   which would you pick, Aruba or Puerto Vallarta? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/which-would-you-pick-aruba-or-puerto-vallarta-867037/)

screen_name_taken Nov 18th, 2010 04:17 AM

which would you pick, Aruba or Puerto Vallarta?

I'm having a tough time deciding on a destination for our anniversary/New Year's celebration.

We are looking forward to 5-7 days of sunshine, temp in the 80s, not too far from home (NY), 6 hrs max. The idea is to soak up sun, listening to surf while reading or just being lazy, with dinner where food id good, in a casual atmosphere.

Activities are not important, fine dining is. Walking on the beach is about all we intend to do, we are 55+ and 71. No club scene necessary ...
:-)

Aruba? Puerto Vallarta?

Thanks!

suze Nov 18th, 2010 07:00 AM

Completely different places! I have only been to PV (many many times) but it's a good sized Mexican city (1/4 million people) on the Pacific coast. It has wonderful restaurants, of all types. The beaches/ocean are more rough and rugged. The town is surrounded by jungle/mountains and sits on the Bay of Banderas.

Aruba is a very small island in the Caribbean. And to my reading and reports (I have never been) more Americanized and expensive. Also drier.

suze Nov 18th, 2010 07:02 AM

I personally would pick Vallarta, but I think your posted request perhaps closer describes Aruba?

Weadles Nov 18th, 2010 09:35 AM

I haven't been to PV, but have been to Aruba many times. It sounds like Aruba would be a good fit for your needs. We often go there for family reunions because it does have consistently good weather, beaches, and food. But it is definitely NOT the most interesting or beautiful island, so if you're looking for charm and culture, I'd go someplace else.

Stewbear Nov 18th, 2010 10:54 AM

Aruba----If you can AFFORD IT. Except if cultural experience is highly important as PV is excellent for that.

screen_name_taken Nov 18th, 2010 01:50 PM

suze, Weadles, and Stewbear - THANKS for your replies.

Yes, Aruba seems to "fit" better, but I know it's also pricier ... and since both of us have been to Cancun and Cozumel, we thought we'd give the Pacific side of Mexico a try.

Rough and rugged coast is beautiful to my eyes and heart (born in Chile, I know the pacific coast well), my question is - are there long stretches of sand to take long walks? And is it warm enough around New Year's?

Thanks again :-)

suze Nov 18th, 2010 02:05 PM

Yes the weather is usually beautiful in Puerto Vallarta in January. Likely mid to high 70's, maybe low 80's by day, cooling off a bit at night. Yes there are long stretches of sand to take walks. PV is a real city, it's got hussle and bussle, noise, traffic, incredibly friendly and welcoming local people, and with incredible dining options. There are amazing restaurants there, all price points.

JeanH Nov 18th, 2010 02:20 PM

We went to PV for the first time last month. We enjoyed it immensely. Walked long distances on the beach, walked the length of the Malecon.

The beaches and water aren't as pretty as the Caribbean side, but, the jungle and mountains behind the city are stunning.

Aruba holds no appeal for me, too dry, too arid, too Americanized. By the way, we're 58 and 62.

Stewbear Nov 18th, 2010 02:54 PM

You might consider either Manzanillo or Zihuatanejo. Both father south & have long mostly empty beaches at both.
For instance Playa Larga.Blanca just outside Zihua stretches for 9 1/2 miles almost completely devoid of people. Just north of Zihua is Troncones a most spectacular setting with over 20 miles of empty beach. Close is Play Linda with a 7 mile long beach.
Manzanillo's Play Brisas is over 5 miles long. I have walked it often never seeing more than a handful of people.

KVR Nov 18th, 2010 05:16 PM

We usually go to the Caribbean side of Mexico. It's our absolute favorite. Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. We have an upcoming trip in December. #10. We've been to PV once and Aruba once. Loved Aruba and can't wait to go back. The only thing that has been holding us back for a 2nd trip is price. It's very expensive compared to Mexico (either side). Though we enjoyed our trip to PV, we did not like the beaches or water there. I much prefer white sand and calm clear water. Aruba has much better beaches. We stayed in the Romantic zone in PV, and sorry, don't remember being able to walk the beach there, just the Macelon, which is basically a sidewalk next to the water. We went in December and the water was too cold and rough to get in it.

As far as dining, Aruba has the best dining options of the 13 Islands we've been to. True fine dining at many resturants and can get rather pricey, but so worth it.

If interested check out our picture page and see which one appeals to you better:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

screen_name_taken Nov 18th, 2010 06:51 PM

again, thank you, thank you, thank you!

btw, a fodorite answer my question in the Caribbean forum and recommended PV too!

I think I will be speaking spanish again very soon ;-)

tengohambre Nov 19th, 2010 04:14 AM

Puerto Vallarta. Aruba was distinctly unimpressive, with generally poor food, no foliage and a flat landscape. Good fun.

suze Nov 19th, 2010 07:14 AM

KVR, You can walk the beach a number of different plces in Puerto Vallarta (even if you didn't do that). Playa Los Muertos on the south-side is a good stretch. You can go about 45 mins to the south (by climbing up and over the rocks that sit at the end of the popular part of the beach. I agree it is not the Caribbean white sand or turquoise water, but you can walk the beaches.

jetsetj Nov 23rd, 2010 03:48 AM

Is anyone boycotting Aruba because of Natalie Holloway case?

zootsi Nov 23rd, 2010 07:12 AM

If you want beautiful, uncrowded beaches, good food, and a relaxing vibe, the Mexican Caribbean would be a good choice. Check out Tulum on Locgringo.com

BellaClaire Nov 23rd, 2010 04:38 PM

Another Mexican destination I have to try some day - Isla Holbox.......

tom42 Nov 24th, 2010 07:37 AM

You can also walk the beach by the Fiesta Americana in PV. It was a good walking beach - nice and wide.

KVR Nov 24th, 2010 01:32 PM

jetsetj on Nov 23, 10 at 6:48am
Is anyone boycotting Aruba because of Natalie Holloway case?

No.

BeniciaChris Nov 27th, 2010 11:35 AM

|I have been to PV about 6 times-never Aruba-though would love to. There are so many wonderful places to eat in PV. My girlfriend & I are going there Jan 7-21st & have my restaurant list prepared.
If you are trying for New Years Eve you might pay more |& maybe not get a room??Chris

snorkelluvn Nov 28th, 2010 01:27 PM

Puerto Vallarta would seem more romantic, esp. if you can stay south of town, where the mountains come down to the sea and the beaches are wider. Check out the many fabulous restaurants with varied and romantic settings.

But, based upon your wishlist, I would suggest HUATULCO, farther south in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico. Absolute guarantee of sunshine that time of year, with temps around 80s fahrenheit. There are 12 bays, with 36 smaller bays/inlets/beaches, many of which can be yours for your own long walks or to sip a margarita at a seaside palapa restaurant. Because of the bays, there is some nice snorkeling here too. Check out these outstanding photos, taken with aerial kite photography:
http://www.robhuntley.ca/gallery/434...62993528_bABXL

For more info. and photos, go to tomzap.com and select Huatulco. The area is actually part of a national park, designated by FONATUR, with a couple towns that have some nice restaurants and shops, town square, etc.Most hotels are on the Tangalunda Bay (one of the many bays). The photos above show the area by Conejos Bay, where you can stay in villas or B&Bs, and a Secrets is opening in May, 2011. Not tons of nightlife, but a few places with live music. This is also in the state of Oaxaca, known for some of Mexico's best cuisine. The big lure, though, is sun and beach!!!