Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Which trip is better--Arenal and Allegro Papagayo or Manuel Antonio?

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:37 AM
Lauren

My husband and I are planning a trip in Costa Rica in August. I'm having trouble deciding between a week near Manuel Antonio or trip that would include a few days at the Arenal Lodge followed by a stay at Allegro Papagayo.

I really want a unique wildlife experience but I also promised my husband some beach time.

Also, just how rainy is in August? Would it be better to go another time?

Thanks! Lauren

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:20 PM
Tia

Lauren:

That's actually kind of scarey! My hubby and I just returned from a stay at the Arenal Lodge followed by a few days at the Allegro!!! I enjoyed both very much. I particularly LOVED the Arenal area. The lodge was nice, but is not the Ritz. I was pleased with both and would stay at both again. I can give you lots of info on both!!!! E-mail me and I'll fill you in on the details. I'd be glad to help as everyone was so helpful to me on this board prior to our trip.

Tia
[email protected]

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:19 PM
E

I brought my family to CR and we did 4 days in Manuel Antonio, and 3 days at Arenal (I highly recommend Arenal Observatory Lodge). Both areas are awesome and you can do it in a week. PS. Don't get dinner included in your Observatory lodge price if you go, b/c you're likely to spend a day at the Tabacon Hot Springs, and you can have a yummy buffet dinner added on to the price of your hot springs admission. A great great trip!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Barbara

I would echo the comments on the Arenal Observatory Lodge (not to be confused with the Arenal Lodge). They have a room that has views of both the volcano AND the lake, which we enjoyed very much. Our room rate included a buffet breakfast, which we also liked and a guided walk to the lava rocks at 8:30 am.

A little past the Tabacon Resort/hot springs is a great little restaurant called El Novillo--very good steaks. The steaks were listed as loins, tenderloins or filet, etc--but they are none of those--nonetheless very tasty. If you blink you'll miss it, it's on the Tabacon side towards La Fortuna from the Arenal OL.

A little warning: the road to the Arenal OL is very bumpy, but you can do it w/o 4wd no problem.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Barbara

I would echo the comments on the Arenal Observatory Lodge (not to be confused with the Arenal Lodge). They have a room that has views of both the volcano AND the lake, which we enjoyed very much. Our room rate included a buffet breakfast, which we also liked and a guided walk to the lava rocks at 8:30 am.

A little past the Tabacon Resort/hot springs is a great little restaurant called El Novillo--very good steaks. The steaks were listed as loins, tenderloins or filet, etc--but they are none of those--nonetheless very tasty. If you blink you'll miss it, it's on the Tabacon side towards La Fortuna from the Arenal OL. Their Chilean red wine was also surprisingly good. And, the price will be much less than the Tabacon!

A little warning: the road to the Arenal OL is very bumpy, but you can do it w/o 4wd no problem.